Advice on installing an inverter

brich

Featured Posts

I'll dump the domestic fridge freezer and replace with something like the 12V INDEL fridge from Roadpro (rated at 19W per hour, lets say 500 Wh per day) unless I should be looking for a small mains fridge? http://tinyurl.com/q9h9hq

Where do you get 19 Watts from, see http://www.exploria-online.co.uk/distribution/advantages.html

OK I have caught up and seen the date of the posting. :help::banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ok me too but wow!! what an off topic thread from GIBBO.....best information pack on battery charging I've ever come across..... as you say shame about the date. There was a couple of questions I would have liked to ask!! :cheers:

edit for punctuation

Edited by John V

There's far too much teccie nonsense on here about elastictrickery and so forth. :P

There are only four things you really need to know about inverters:

1. Whatever power rating you think it needs to be, add at least 50%.

2. Make sure your 12V cables are up to the job, not just the 240V ones.

3. Condensation kills inverters. If you don't need to use it through the Winter, install in such a way that it can easily be removed and left somewhere dry and warm until Easter.

4. If at all possible, buy a Victron one.

Ok me too but wow!! what an off topic thread from GIBBO.....

It wasn't me that went OT! It was Chris. I just corrected him :)

There's far too much teccie nonsense on here about elastictrickery and so forth. :P

There are only four things you really need to know about inverters:

1. Whatever power rating you think it needs to be, add at least 50%.

I could give you a load that would pass your test but would stop your inverter dead in its tracks.

I could give you a load that would pass your test but would stop your inverter dead in its tracks.

W e l l . . . .

Yes you probably could. However one of the reasons for my point 4. is that I once, in a moment of rashness, shelled out for a Victron inverter (it was in a sale m'lud). It transpired one of its best features was the exceedingly large margin between the temporary peak power rating and the continuous rating. Now admittedly not all Victron inverters are necessarily the same, but given the starting point of "whatever peak figure you've worked out in your head", adding 50% to that when buying a Victron inverter would probably cover most options I reckon.

Of course, not running everything at once as though you're still in a house is also helpful, but there's no telling some people.