Cooker gas pipes

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

Not sure I actually buy that.....

It still doesn't meet the regs though, so if you were forced to use a different examiner next time they could well fail it.

But if a future BSS examiner doesn't like a gas pipe at floor level, you would have little choice but to accept the hassle of moving it, (my opinion).

Fair enough.

If at a later date we have to move the pipe then so be it.

In response to the OP an "all Hose" system is permitted. (but not best practice).The hose must be to specified standard and properly supported. There must be only one hose per appliance. If there are more than one appliance the individual hoses must return to the gas locker where only there can they be connected to a common "pig" with seperate isolation valves. "All hose" systems are common on very small GRP cruisers.

With regard to other comments. Isolation valves to all appliances is a recommendation only. However if a hose is the system an isolation valve is a requirement.

Having said that however, where seperate hob and oven are mounted together as in the photographs they may be considered to be one appliance, because it involves a hose section it will still need an isolation valve if there are other gas appliances on board.

I thoroughly recommend isolation valves wherever possible. If you do get a gas leak it makes it much easier to locate!

Lastly, "Water test point" What is that?

In response to the OP an "all Hose" system is permitted. (but not best practice).The hose must be to specified standard and properly supported. There must be only one hose per appliance. If there are more than one appliance the individual hoses must return to the gas locker where only there can they be connected to a common "pig" with seperate isolation valves. "All hose" systems are common on very small GRP cruisers.

With regard to other comments. Isolation valves to all appliances is a recommendation only. However if a hose is the system an isolation valve is a requirement.

Having said that however, where seperate hob and oven are mounted together as in the photographs they may be considered to be one appliance, because it involves a hose section it will still need an isolation valve if there are other gas appliances on board.

I thoroughly recommend isolation valves wherever possible. If you do get a gas leak it makes it much easier to locate!

Lastly, "Water test point" What is that?

Hi

I wouldn't be happy having to fit seperate isolation valves into my system - even more joints and chances of a leaks.

I wasn't very happy about having to introduce 2 more joints inside the boat just to provide the water test point at the end of the line.

Then to be told by the examiner that it can be anywhere on the system, including out side in the gas locker!!! where a leak would be far less dangerous.

The clipping next to joints is to prevent the gas pipe being pulling directly on the joint. Where there is no possibilty of this I cant see the point.

Alex

The clipping next to joints is to prevent the gas pipe being pulling directly on the joint. Where there is no possibilty of this I cant see the point.

Alex,

You have a point in a way.

But if you look wider in the BSS, there is (for example) a requirement that batteries must be restrained to the point where they stay put if the boat heels over at 45 degrees.

Bonkers, in my view, but as it's in the regulations, you can still fail if it's judged you haven't done what the regulations specify.

Might part of the clipping requirement on gas pipes also be to prevent vibration, and possible fatigue of the pipe over time as a result ? Perhaps unlikely, but maybe not massively more so than solid core cable shaking itself to pieces, I don't know ?

Alex,

You have a point in a way.

But if you look wider in the BSS, there is (for example) a requirement that batteries must be restrained to the point where they stay put if the boat heels over at 45 degrees.

Bonkers, in my view, but as it's in the regulations, you can still fail if it's judged you haven't done what the regulations specify.

Might part of the clipping requirement on gas pipes also be to prevent vibration, and possible fatigue of the pipe over time as a result ? Perhaps unlikely, but maybe not massively more so than solid core cable shaking itself to pieces, I don't know ?

Hi

You're right of course BSS is there for good reasons, although another confusing regulation is low level ventilation.

How can air vents in the rear doors 3-4 feet above the floor meet this requirement?

Alex

from the Corgi (now replaced by Gassafe) manual

permanently moored boats & other vessels

section 5. Installation pipework page 66

pipework material

seamless copper tube to BS EN 1057

stainless steel suitable for LPG and of a grade suitable for the marine environment incorporating either compression or screwed joints

joints should be accessable, located at a position where stress is minimised and sholud be rigidly secured.Pipework fixing clips should be attached no more than 150mm from each joint.

If I was inspecting your installation with a + joint in mid air like shown I would have no hesitation in failing it

(yes I am a registered gassafe engineer)

Edited by hamsterfan

from the Corgi (now replaced by Gassafe) manual

permanently moored boats & other vessels

etc ...

Would that be "permanently moored" boats and other vessels, or "permanently moored boats" and other vessels.

Would a cruising narrowboat, ie one which is not permanently moored, be included in whichever interpretation is correct?

OK. By "Water test point" you mean "Gas Pressure test Point" A very unusual way of installing it.

I would be worried that the mere action of tightening or unscrewing the test point cap could put stress on the joints of the + connector. You may be gentle because you know what is there but some people can be a bit ham fisted and believe "the tighter the better". The mere action of pushing on or removing the test hose may also apply stress on a different plain. It will have to be secure. After all you may not always be the owner

The BSS Examiner if he knows the cooker, will know there has to be a coupling there (the test point is a give away if he does not know the cooker) and will probably ask you to lift off the hob so that he can see it and test it for excessive movement, correct components etc.

However if it was secure, I would pass it.

May I suggest bolting a piece of flatbar at rightangles to the existing cooker strut under the + coupling extending about four inches either side this would provide suitable securing points for all four pipes.

Someone mentioned batteries being secure with boat listing up to 45 degrees. This may seem pointless mainly because "If the boat is at 45 degrees the least of my worries is going to be the batteries!". However have you not seen pictures of boats lying on the very uneven bottom of a breached canal or on tidal waters? A boat with a "V" hull could list extremely badly when sitting on the bottom. If the batteries will not topple at 45 deg then they will not topple at 15 deg or 35 deg a point has to be set. Toppling batteries present a host of dangers. With a little imagination it is not difficult to think of a few.

Safety rules nearly always are the result of past experience. The 2005 BSS rules has a great degree of leniency in comparison to the 2002 rules, which are still applicable to hire craft and "live aboards" Many "rules" became "recommendations" making things easier for the private boater. Appreciate it!

So where is the "minimum of every 300mm and no more than 150mm from joints" from, please Mike ? Have I missed a bit that contradicts the 500mm (20 in) quoted above ?

It's what an inspector told me and I'm sure I saw it in the BSS Essential Guide (but perhaps that was the 1st edition?)