Middle Level navigable Drains

Moondaisy

Featured Posts

And are you allowed to admit people on the basis of the engine that their imaginary ideal boat has?

No, that wouldn't work, we'd have to exclude Jim on the grounds that a warp drive is not a suitable engine for a narrowboat.

MP.

.... if it has a proper engine you can be in our gang.
.... It's a Beta - which I think is the sort they fit in Kubota diggers ? I'm afraid it's not a wonderful vintage machine - much as I love them. Sorry to disappoint.

Harrumph ! Can we have a Kubota digger engine club engine as well then ? .. I've got a Nanni which is based on a Kubota :lol:

That will do - we are desperate for members :)

Racism, Sexism - now Enginism.......I hope life in the shark-infested waters of the Middle Levels is not going to be too hard for someone with a modern engine. On the bright side, I do have portholes and, more importantly, a source of cheap cigars.

However, I feel you should keep your gang exclusive. As Groucho Marx said " I have no wish to belong to any club that will accept me as a member"........

I should hate to be torpedoed on the final approach to Bill Fen and remain as a permanent hazzard to navigation.

Racism, Sexism - now Enginism.......I hope life in the shark-infested waters of the Middle Levels is not going to be too hard for someone with a modern engine. On the bright side, I do have portholes and, more importantly, a source of cheap cigars.

However, I feel you should keep your gang exclusive. As Groucho Marx said " I have no wish to belong to any club that will accept me as a member"........

I should hate to be torpedoed on the final approach to Bill Fen and remain as a permanent hazzard to navigation.

No sharks around here - they can't make it through the blanket weed :lol:

Seriously, Bill Fen is a really friendly place for people of new, old, or no engines. Welcome again.

.... and we don't have torpedoes, we have punt guns.....

MP.

No sharks around here - they can't make it through the blanket weed :lol:

Seriously, Bill Fen is a really friendly place for people of new, old, or no engines. Welcome again.

.... and we don't have torpedoes, we have punt guns.....

MP.

I stand corrected !

I look forward to it.

... how about some length-ism ? Its not in the Middle Levels I hasten to add, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time :lol:

DSCN0689.jpg

That's on the Great Ouse, where the splitters outnumber the narrowboats by quite a wide margin. Strangely on the its mainly narrowboats, and on the Nene I'd guess about 50/50.

MP.

That's on the Great Ouse, where the splitters outnumber the narrowboats by quite a wide margin. Strangely on the its mainly narrowboats, and on the Nene I'd guess about 50/50.

I'm probbaly just being thick, but what's a splitter? (Well I can guess what, but why?)

I'm probbaly just being thick, but what's a splitter? (Well I can guess what, but why?)

The type of boat, (usually white, rather than black), that (reputedly!) makes a splitting noise on heavy impact, often with accompanying damage.

See also "Tupperware".

AKA tupperware. As for "splitter", it's what is reputed to happen if one is hit by a narrowboat :lol:

On a more serious point, it can be a source of friction if a narrowboat comes and occupies the space that would fit three or four cruisers. We try to ameliorate that by breasting up where we can. This years GOBA (Great Ouse Boating Association) membership pack came with "Happy to breast up" stickers, which we would display except that they would fill about 70% of a porthole on each side.....

MP.

Ah you mean fenders. Thanks, I sort of guessed but wasn't sure.

When we went to the Beale Park IWA festival the EA gave us a similar sticker. But what use was ONE sticker, half the time we'd be moored with the sticker facing the bank!

AKA tupperware. As for "splitter", it's what is reputed to happen if one is hit by a narrowboat :lol:

On a more serious point, it can be a source of friction if a narrowboat comes and occupies the space that would fit three or four cruisers. We try to ameliorate that by breasting up where we can. This years GOBA (Great Ouse Boating Association) membership pack came with "Happy to breast up" stickers, which we would display except that they would fill about 70% of a porthole on each side.....

MP.

Speaking of GOBA, there's a long stretch of delightful GOBA moorings immediately adjacent to the Lazy Otter

It not the 'tinfish' you need to worry about. It's the 'mine fields' layed by the local fisherman when a contest is on :lol:

Firesprite

Middle Levels