DIY sand antislip!

Featured Posts

I keep explaining that to the dog but it persists in turning up in pads and claws - damn thing slips about all over the deck! We used an International additive for the gunnels paint - a worryingly tiny bag but it was more than ample for them. I think we'll add some to our raddle red to top coat the front deck or the dog will be suing us.

OUr back deck is hexagrip, which is reasonably grippy for human feet and shoes but seems to be a disaster for paws and claws. Whenever it (or the paws) were wet, the dog would miss her footing on takeoff and land in the water, until we glued a bit of doormat to the deck. Now she even wipes her paws every time she comes on board!

We walk on our a lot, infact at a bear minmum i would say every bridge, and 90% of locks.

- Fortunatly our roof is relatively slighty in curve, and the gunnel hight high.

- We also do not make use of non-slip paint, although ours it naterally less slippy than some.

As a slightly digression from the topic of how to apply it. How roubust to be people find the surface?

Im am about to replace and repaint the plywood that forms the tailgate and ramp to my car trailer and am considering ways to improve the grip. Given than when ever wet, loading the car without using the winch invariably involves a rather hair raising sideways slalom up the ramp trying to miss the rear qaurters colliding with the side of the trailer.

Daniel

Ooops wrong there! back to scrubbing Helyn (our other boat)

Nothing personal PB. It's my little sidekick who causes all the trouble by rushing about yapping so they put him in a doggy lifejacket - how degrading! Me, I just lie on the deck and sunbathe (or 'stink' as my owners so nicely put it.

Regards

Stardog

Have you thought of using gloss paint and sprinkle sugar on it ?

After a little use the sugar will dissolve, leaving a nice rough surface. I think this has a better appearance whilst being worn as the peak of the sand grains don't show thru and it's easy to prepare for next time.

Have you thought of using gloss paint and sprinkle sugar on it ?

After a little use the sugar will dissolve, leaving a nice rough surface. I think this has a better appearance whilst being worn as the peak of the sand grains don't show thru and it's easy to prepare for next time.

I must admit that sugar hadn't really come to mind, no! :lol:

Still, it takes all sorts! :lol:

Kay

x

Ive heard of the sugar trick used a lot on varnished sailing dingys.

- One of the key advantaes on top of it looking better with the varnish is it can then be sanded off, unlike sand, as on a wooden boat you dont really have the option of scraping off the paint in quite the same way.

Dacrylate Paints at Sutton-in-Ashfield have a product called Vinadac. This gives a smooth matt finish that is non-slip. It was developed for bridge decking and we have used it for over twenty years for roof and deck and I've yet to slip. Easily re-coatable. Not cheap but very,very effective. Regards, HughC.

Dacrylate Paints at Sutton-in-Ashfield have a product called Vinadac. This gives a smooth matt finish that is non-slip. It was developed for bridge decking and we have used it for over twenty years for roof and deck and I've yet to slip. Easily re-coatable. Not cheap but very,very effective. Regards, HughC.

Thanks for the idea but I've already bought all my Rylands Oxford Blue! :lol:

Kay

x

Have you considered non-slip footwear ? (and, no, i don't mean painting anti-slip onto the soles of your shoes :lol: ) .... When its wet, even on a gritted anti-slip surface, I've got some shoes that remain fairly grippy whilst others slide all over the place. Might be worth a thought ?

Hi all...

We want a sand antislip surface on our roof. If we mask off squares, slap lots of paint on there and then sprinkle silicate sand on, allow it to completely dry, brush excess off, repaint it all and then pull off the masking tape - is that about it? Or, does anyone recommend a better adhesive surface for the sand instead of paint? I've tried the search function to get more info but drew a blank... :lol:

We spent HOURS sanding down ALL our roof before we decided on the sand - how silly was that huh? :lol:

Kay

x

Yes, this is how we did ours. We used bird cage sand and sieved it twice. It worked ok but was a bugger to clean.

Bridgit.

I was going to use sand but the guy in the chandlers sold me a tin of fine rubber particles that you can stir into the paint. I did this for a gangplank and it worked very well. I think the stuff was sold by Rylards but could be wrong there a couple of years ago now.

Mick

These are the type of granules I meant - just stir in to your Rylards and apply

http://www.chandleryworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...4#a721PNT000004

Mick