Newbury

Liam

Featured Posts

There's a boat called Newbury which is currently advertised on the WFBCO website. The website states that it is a Small Woolwich "style" ex working boat.

My limited knowledge of the ex GU boats is that the Large Northwich and Woolwich boats were named after towns, where as the small Woolwich and Northwich boats were named after stars and the like. If Newbury is a Small Woolwich, does it have the wrong name? That is if it is original, of course, as the advert does state "Small Woolwich Style".

Copy and paste from the website...

"70' all steel traditional little woolwich style ex working boat with a 32'extension cabin shell."

Ta!

There's a boat called Newbury which is currently advertised on the WFBCO website. The website states that it is a Small Woolwich "style" ex working boat.

My limited knowledge of the ex GU boats is that the Large Northwich and Woolwich boats were named after towns, where as the small Woolwich and Northwich boats were named after stars and the like. If Newbury is a Small Woolwich, does it have the wrong name? That is if it is original, of course, as the advert does state "Small Woolwich Style".

"70' all steel traditional little woolwich style ex working boat with a 32'extension cabin shell."

Ta!

This is a 'modern' boat built for John Forth

He carried in it during the late 80's and 90's

It was built with conversion in mind in later days.

God Bless Him !!

Edited by bargeeboy

This is a 'modern' boat built for John Forth

He carried in it during the late 80's and 90's

It was built with conversion in mind in later days.

God Bless Him !!

I think both of John's boats, Newdigate and Newbury, were built by Steve Priest.

Viv Scragg can probably confirm this.

Edit:

I'll defer to Matt's post below.

PS. Nice pictures.

Edited by andywatson

Copy and paste from the website...

Ta!

NEWBURY was built by Braunston Boat Services Ltd. in 1980 (completed 05/1980 - B.C.S.Ltd. number 8) closely based on the lines of a Small Woolwich motor. It was originally built for Roger and Jackie Barnes, Basingstoke and fitted with a Lister HA2 taken from a motor fishing vessel at Hornchurch. I recall seeing NEWBURY numerous times tied at the north end of Newbold Tunnel, but before that it was based at Wyvern Shipping Company's yard at Linslade. NEWBURY was sold to John and Madeline Forth in about October 1982 who used it as a retail coal boat before fitting the cabin conversion a few years ago.

Interestingly Braunston Boat Services Ltd. built two carrying boats in 1980, the other being based on a "Pimblotts Admiral" motor and was named NELSON. This boat, in the ownership of Mark Holtham was used to carry retail coal on the River Severn and Gloucester & Sharpness Canal, as well as assisting with the clearance of Alfred Matty's fleet of B.C.N. day boats in 1982 amongst other things. NELSON was bought by the Ackers Trust, Birmingham in 1985 and fitted with a cabin conversion for taking inner city kids on adventure holidays (like a camping boat). NELSON is now a house boat (last seen by me a couple of years ago on the Shropshire Union Canal).

NEWBURY was built by Braunston Boat Services Ltd. in 1980 (completed 05/1980 - B.C.S.Ltd. number 8) closely based on the lines of a Small Woolwich motor. It was originally built for Roger and Jackie Barnes, Basingstoke and fitted with a Lister HA2 taken from a motor fishing vessel at Hornchurch. I recall seeing NEWBURY numerous times tied at the north end of Newbold Tunnel, but before that it was based at Wyvern Shipping Company's yard at Linslade. NEWBURY was sold to John and Madeline Forth in about October 1982 who used it as a retail coal boat before fitting the cabin conversion a few years ago.

Interestingly Braunston Boat Services Ltd. built two carrying boats in 1980, the other being based on a "Pimblotts Admiral" motor and was named NELSON. This boat, in the ownership of Mark Holtham was used to carry retail coal on the River Severn and Gloucester & Sharpness Canal, as well as assisting with the clearance of Alfred Matty's fleet of B.C.N. day boats in 1982 amongst other things. NELSON was bought by the Ackers Trust, Birmingham in 1985 and fitted with a cabin conversion for taking inner city kids on adventure holidays (like a camping boat). NELSON is now a house boat (last seen by me a couple of years ago on the Shropshire Union Canal).

I was sad to hear of Johns death he is greatley missed a true old school boatman.

What has happend to Johns uther boat Newdigate i think she was called has someone kept her trading

You beat me to it Pete, as you say Newbury was built by Braunston Canal Services. I spent several evenings in the pub at Thrupp with John Forth during the Foot and Mouth epidemic and he informed me that Newbury was built by them. To add to the information the steel fabrication was undertaken by Roger Farringdon and Dave Thomas, and as far as I know, the back cabin was installed by Rex Wain, the whole lot being supervised by Balliol Fowden.

Newbury was closely followed by Janus another 70ft boat with a two cylinder Ruston and Hornsby engine and Hydraulic drive, owned by Bill Dumelow who continuously cruised the system for many years until his untimely death two years ago. My boat was commissioned by Braunston Canal Services in March 1982, build No. 20. and still going strong.

Edited by David Schweizer

You beat me to it Pete, as you say Newbury was built by Braunston Canal Services. I spent several evenings in the pub at Thrupp with John Forth during the Foot and Mouth epidemic and he informed me that Newbury was built by them. To add to the information the steel fabrication was undertaken by Roger Farringdon and Dave Thomas, and as far as I know, the back cabin was installed by Rex Wain, the whole lot being supervised by Balliol Fowden.

Newbury was closely followed by Janus another 70ft boat with a two cylinder Ruston and Hornsby engine and Hydraulic drive, owned by Bill Dumelow who continuously cruised the system for many years until his untimely death two years ago. My boat was commissioned by Braunston Canal Services in March 1982, build No. 20. and still going strong.

I have been at Brinklow Boats today and they have asked me for the record to point out that yes Newbury was built by Baliol Fowden of Braunston Canal Services but he was assisted by Simon Wain and Ken Freeman. Messrs Farringdon and Thomas joined the staff a little later. The cabin was fitted out by the first owners and not Rex.

Paul H

I have been at Brinklow Boats today and they have asked me for the record to point out that yes Newbury was built by Baliol Fowden of Braunston Canal Services but he was assisted by Simon Wain and Ken Freeman. Messrs Farringdon and Thomas joined the staff a little later. The cabin was fitted out by the first owners and not Rex.

Paul H

Whoever built the bugger it didn`t `alf shift. I chased John to Braunston once with Badsey`s old Perkins absolutely flat out - fenders almost getting wet, and I didn`t get near ! I gave up when the cooling water outflow started steaming a bit too much for peace of mind.