ignorance

canalgirl

Featured Posts

Hi

I have just come back from doing the 4 Counties ring and I have had a wonderful time and met some terrific friendly people who have enriched my life, however I also encountered a really strange and frightening occurance, and that was ignorance by a certain type. For an instance I was taught when approaching a bridge or blind corner to give one long blast on the horn to warn oncoming traffic?? am I correct??? but on a number of occasions when I did this I met a boat coming the other way at full speed and without a hint of worry, and everyone of them were owners of expensive craft. On one occasion I had to slam it into reverse at a cost of getting all screwed up and hitting the bank, and the oncoming boat owner had the cheek to say "Your brakes are good on that thing" I replied with "well at least someone has the decency to brake" and afterwards shouted "F**k off arsehole" I really do think there is a snob element on the canals nowadays, it wouldn't happen in the trading days !!! To be honest the canals don't really need these rich retired types who think they are better than the rest...what do you all think on this forum ??

Hi

I have just come back from doing the 4 Counties ring and I have had a wonderful time and met some terrific friendly people who have enriched my life, however I also encountered a really strange and frightening occurance, and that was ignorance by a certain type. For an instance I was taught when approaching a bridge or blind corner to give one long blast on the horn to warn oncoming traffic?? am I correct??? but on a number of occasions when I did this I met a boat coming the other way at full speed and without a hint of worry, and everyone of them were owners of expensive craft. On one occasion I had to slam it into reverse at a cost of getting all screwed up and hitting the bank, and the oncoming boat owner had the cheek to say "Your brakes are good on that thing" I replied with "well at least someone has the decency to brake" and afterwards shouted "F**k off arsehole" I really do think there is a snob element on the canals nowadays, it wouldn't happen in the trading days !!! To be honest the canals don't really need these rich retired types who think they are better than the rest...what do you all think on this forum ??

I have seen an increase in foul mouthed snobs on the cut in recent years. I am pleased to report that they are still in the minority. The problem is that we tend to notice these unpleasant people, and nice people become "invisible."

Ho hum, idiots everywhere, still you can't kill 'em, think just how many of them there are! Canals would be clogged in no time. Just ignore them and picture the results when they (inevitably) meet one of their own kind coming the other way.

Reminds me of the time I mentioned to somebody that they had moored in the only spot likely to cause problems to passing boats, and that moving a few yards either way would eliminate this problem, "F**K 'EM." was the sociable response I got.

The only good thing is that there actually seem fewer of these people on the canals than I have met in other walks of life.

But there are some and, OH YES, WHEN I'M IN POWER.........

Where's my medication...

Ho hum, idiots everywhere, still you can't kill 'em, think just how many of them there are! Canals would be clogged in no time. Just ignore them and picture the results when they (inevitably) meet one of their own kind coming the other way.

Reminds me of the time I mentioned to somebody that they had moored in the only spot likely to cause problems to passing boats, and that moving a few yards either way would eliminate this problem, "F**K 'EM." was the sociable response I got.

The only good thing is that there actually seem fewer of these people on the canals than I have met in other walks of life.

But there are some and, OH YES, WHEN I'M IN POWER.........

Where's my medication...

Agreed.

To be honest the canals don't really need these rich retired types who think they are better than the rest...what do you all think on this forum ??

We met a couple like this yesterday, sour woman steering in a superiour way, we waited in a lock for them and then she crashed thunderously in to the lock gates - I did have a snigger, and what's more my son was videoing it too, so we can keep sniggering. It just makes me determined not to end up like that too. :lol:

To be honest the canals don't really need these rich retired types who think they are better than the rest...what do you all think on this forum ??

We met a couple like this yesterday, sour woman steering in a superiour way, we waited in a lock for them and then she crashed thunderously in to the lock gates - I did have a snigger, and what's more my son was videoing it too, so we can keep sniggering. It just makes me determined not to end up like that too. :lol:

Do we all get to see it?

F**k off arsehole" I really do think there is a snob element on the canals nowadays, it wouldn't happen in the trading days !!!

True the men of the barges would have just beaten the living shit out of each other, then rammed a lock gate and beaten up the lock keeper for complaining, not to mention all the tricks for getting away early in the morning and making sure the locks were in their favour.

Thats the traditional way!

As a retired type I would just like to say that like all other "types" there are some who think they are better than the rest and others who don't. I would agree we don't want anyone who thinks they have more rights than the rest

Strangely I had to reverse hard a few days ago at a bridge on a bend, when I saw the other boat and he could see me I slowed and if he had done the same we could have passed with minimum fuss but he showed no sign of slowing and I ended up picking up an old piece of clothing on the prop which took sometime to remove. I did get a cursory wave of thanks from the other guy as he sped past. Not sure what type I would call him- middle aged and surly perhaps

Mick

Have mixed up a few chemicals incorrectly, and now have several tons of fast setting marine epoxy instead of wallpaper paste, anyone fancy gluing a few boats to the bank? I mean, a few DESERVING boats to the bank, though when I think of it it's not the boats fault, anyone fancy gluing a few deserving owners to the bank? Or the undersides of aqueducts?

It takes all types. I have to admit that I very very raely use the horn thingy I just don't like noise. The only problem I have some times with people that do sound that horn thing when approaching a blind bridge hole is that they think that by making all that noise it then gives them the right of way. Last year I was going through a bridge on the Oxford the pointy end of my boat was allready under the bridge I heard one of those horn things and a boat came flying round the blind corner I carried on he had to make a very sudden stop and slight reverse as I was going slowly I stoped easly, as I passed he said to me " you idiot did you not hear my horn."

Horns sounded by boaters out of sight on the other side of a blind bridge are notoriously hard to hear.

Some people who have highly silenced modern engines, seem totally unaware how little can be heard by someone standing over an elderly Lister SR.

And of course if you both sound your horns at the same time, you'll never hear the one from the the boat.

I'm not really convinced they add much to the equation, particularly if they make people think correct positioning and correct speed are less important.

Ours gets occasional use, but I'll admit only very occasional use.

The key is in approaching obstructions from the best angle to get a line of sight, and at a speed where you can react to something unexpected.

Horns sounded by boaters out of sight on the other side of a blind bridge . . . .

We’re moored near a marina entrance and have the opportunity to observe a variation on this. The technique of many in the marina (but not of course any of the CWDF boaters :lol: ) is to blast the horn, come out of the marina at ram speed, hit the opposite bank, get tangled in the bushes, clobber a nearby pair of ex-working boats and then proceed. All very entertaining.

" you idiot did you not hear my horn."

Well he did have a point, on hearing a horn you should respond immediately to let them know you are there.

Imagine for a minute it could have been me - albeit going obviously slower -

I could have just passed jet another plonker moored up running their engine in gear :lol: and the wash has pushed the butty over to the inside of the bend, so i now need a bit more speed to get the butty back in line so the cabin doesn't hit the bridge,

I blow the horn (railway lookout trumpet) - there is no response - so i wind up the engine and go - as he did. (unfortunately in my case - my bows are likely to be exiting the otherside of the bridgehole before i manage to stop the motor and butty).

The fact you are going slowly is only going to reduce the bang. :lol:

I think the BW bylaws do mention the use of sound signals (not that they ever send them out to anyone).

Simon.

Over the weekend I found a new meaning to "Do you mind if I share the lock with you?", to which I reply of course not and then find what whas really meant was "We are too F-ing lazy to do anything so can we come in the lock with you and watch you do all the work". Luckily, there was one boat waiting at the next lock so we joined them and shared the lock and the work from then on and left the other boat to find out what paddles and balance beams are for.

You get good and bad (and a great deal in between) in all walks of life. Inland Waterways are no different in this respect - it has always been the same. Nevertheless, I always find that if I treat people in the manner that I, myself, would wish to be treated, then they are generally polite and helpful. I have never had cause to swear at anyone other than myself and my general experience of all the people that I have met on the canals, so far, has been surprisingly pleasant.

Perhaps it helps if you always look on the bright side of life!

Edited by NB Alnwick

Hi

Your definately wrong no matter what you've been "taught". The approach to any bridge hole should be cautious and tooting the horn will not give you right of way the fact that the other boat was through causing you to take evasive action highlights this. Its the boat thats nearest to the bridge that usually takes priority and in this case you appear to be in the wrong and profanities do not make you right. If you haven't got the ability to look round corners get someone in the bow to at least give you advance warning of an impending collision which is the correct method. Stereotyping "certain" people to fit into your strange and frightening occurance is also wrong as this situation is and everyminute of everyday to everyone on the cut and 99% of all boaters treat it as such and just carry on cruising without a second thought to the manouerver.

True the men of the barges would have just beaten the living shit out of each other, then rammed a lock gate and beaten up the lock keeper for complaining, not to mention all the tricks for getting away early in the morning and making sure the locks were in their favour.

Thats the traditional way!

Very true but at least they would have spent the evening in the pub as best of friends.

To be honest the canals don't really need these rich retired types

Don't like the social stereotyping going on here, not that I'm likely to be either rich or retired, certainly not at the same time. :lol:

but lots of people fit this bit:-

"who think they are better than the rest..."

and there I would agree, we don't need them.

I drive what others would call a shiney boat but we are very carefull and assume every other boater is a potential danger to us and themselves. It seems to be a good policy but even this does not stop some boaters from acting in the fashion given of ignoring others in bridge holes. On one (happily unique) trip down the Shroppie we had three such incidents - one simply kept going ignoring the fact that we were coming through the bridge already and forcing us to try to reverse back through in an effort to stop him hitting us head on. (Which he did button to button.) Another did the same in a one boat narrows yelling for us (10 yards from his end and 300 from the other) to get out the way - bang. The third - on a very shiney boat was the weirdest - we were a 100yds off a bridge and he 400 - both in clear sight. Then he floored the speed knob and started heading in a flank speed. Even at this speed it was obvious that we would be through and out before he got there - except there was 50feet of thorn bushes on his side to narrow the canal before the bridge. We sped up and nearly got past the bush but chummy did nowt and like a knight of old headed straight for us until the last second when he heaved the steering, slammed his boat into reverse and shot straight into the thorn bushes with a yell of "Like to play chicken - mostly I win" I yelled something rude but he seemed to think it a great joke - pity his poor shiney boat!

:lol:

Your definately wrong no matter what you've been "taught". The approach to any bridge hole should be cautious and tooting the horn will not give you right of way the fact that the other boat was through causing you to take evasive action highlights this. Its the boat thats nearest to the bridge that usually takes priority and in this case you appear to be in the wrong and profanities do not make you right. If you haven't got the ability to look round corners get someone in the bow to at least give you advance warning of an impending collision which is the correct method. Stereotyping "certain" people to fit into your strange and frightening occurance is also wrong as this situation is and everyminute of everyday to everyone on the cut and 99% of all boaters treat it as such and just carry on cruising without a second thought to the manouerver.

Firstly may i say that I was far from into the bridge i was approaching with due caution. the idiot who "Barged his way through" didn't respond to my caution signal, don't you dare question my helmsmanship I have a valid RYA certificate which I bet you don't and I have been on the cut for over 20 years your a fool

hi, i have just got back from a weeks break on the canal. it was my 1st time out and found that all of the other users showed excellent manners and respect.

each time i came to a bridge or narrow point, i was almost always waved through. on the odd occasion that i wasnt, it was obvious that they were nearer to the obstacle.

contrary to a lot of what has been said, i didnt meet a single person that i considered to be an idiot, nor anyone who indicated that they had more right to the water than me.

hey, ive just thought i may be the idiot that was barging through, and they werent waving they were shaking their fists..lol..

Its the boat thats nearest to the bridge that usually takes priority .....

Is it??? As far as I can recall on inland waterways the vessel proceeding downstream should have the wright of way and probably priority. On canals downstream is downhill from the summit/top pound.

Is it??? As far as I can recall on inland waterways the vessel proceeding downstream should have the wright of way and probably priority. On canals downstream is downhill from the summit/top pound.

Whoever's closest what I was taught when I was playing with the working boats, assuming I've got space to get control of the butty. On the river, or summat like the Llangollen it's a different game, but if there's no "stream" then courtesy takes priority as manouverability is equal both ways.

On the other hand I was also taught that sometimes when towing you are left with no option apart from to ram the offending person, as to lose control of the butty is to cause many more problems. Oh I miss that... :lol: