Exhibitors going to Crick

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Hello all we got our tickets through to Crick last week and were really looking forward to it.

We've been reading through Waterworld Magazine and in their Braidbar state that they are attending. Does anyone else know who else are attending etc?

I know this place is an Oracle of information so I sit back and wait in anitcipation.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Sarah and Ian

Hello all we got our tickets through to Crick last week and were really looking forward to it.

We've been reading through Waterworld Magazine and in their Braidbar state that they are attending. Does anyone else know who else are attending etc?

I know this place is an Oracle of information so I sit back and wait in anitcipation.

Cheers

Ian

You can get regularly updated exhibitor lists from the show website

http://crickboatshow.co.uk/exhibitorlist/builders.php

You can get regularly updated exhibitor lists from the show website

http://crickboatshow.co.uk/exhibitorlist/builders.php

Thanks for this!

Not checked the website for weeks but last time we looked it was empty. Has anyone heard if Heartwood boats were attending or Prestige Narrowboats??

Thanks

Sign of the times I presume but there are a number of names in various categories that I thought would have been likely to be attending that are not on the list .

Still things may change by the date of the show.

Sign of the times I presume but there are a number of names in various categories that I thought would have been likely to be attending that are not on the list .

Still things may change by the date of the show.

For the past three years I have done the Crick Show.

2006 - Wet. Site is a mud bath. Cars have to be towed out of the field car park. Fire in pet food processing plant causes access to the site from the M1 to be closed for 24 hours. Chaos ensues with every country lane for miles around turned into a linear car park.

2007 - Even wetter, although Saturday was OK. Monday saw 50mm of rain. Horrendous.

2008 - Saturday OK again. Sunday - heavy showers and very cold. Monday - strong winds cause site to be closed within 30 mins of opening.

I suspect a lot of waterways' businesses have weighed up the value of this show - and it is not cheap to exhibit at - and decided it does not represent a good return. The failure by the organisers to offer any form of compensation for last year's closure fiasco certainly doesn't encourage many to return.

I met a lot of people, had a very pleasant time doing so, but when all is said and done, I'm not sure it made any difference to my business whatsoever. There are better ways of spending the same money on marketing than that, IMHO.

2006 - Wet. Site is a mud bath. Cars have to be towed out of the field car park. Fire in pet food processing plant causes access to the site from the M1 to be closed for 24 hours. Chaos ensues with every country lane for miles around turned into a linear car park.

2007 - Even wetter, although Saturday was OK. Monday saw 50mm of rain. Horrendous.

2008 - Saturday OK again. Sunday - heavy showers and very cold. Monday - strong winds cause site to be closed within 30 mins of opening.

I suspect a lot of waterways' businesses have weighed up the value of this show - and it is not cheap to exhibit at - and decided it does not represent a good return. The failure by the organisers to offer any form of compensation for last year's closure fiasco certainly doesn't encourage many to return.

I met a lot of people, had a very pleasant time doing so, but when all is said and done, I'm not sure it made any difference to my business whatsoever. There are better ways of spending the same money on marketing than that, IMHO.

I suspected that would be the case with a number of past exhibitors , plus you have a number of possible participants that are no longer trading . The problem is the less exhibitors there are then the less attractive the event becomes for visitors - the less visitors the less attractive for exhibitors in following years - a vicious circle and thats without the vagaries of the weather . Dont know what the answer is for the organisers but as far as I am concerned unless there is a considerable change to the exhibior list it wouldnt really be worth my while to make the effort to visit the event.

It's a shame to see some boatbuiders and/ or boatfitters closing down, though frankly some will not be missed. But the pages of the boatimags feature adverts from new builders almost monthly, so one hopes that there will be some interesting new exhibits to look at. I just hope they aren't all 57 feet long with Beta engines ( unless they're JD3s ) and granite worktops.

Edited by Athy

Stock answer when asked if you had a good shows in public-

"Best ever loads of orders and interest!"

Stock answer when asked in hotel later-

"No it cost a bloody fortune and was a waste of time!"

I have never been quite sure if shows are the right place to buy boats, look yes but hand over money I aren't too sure.

To make it worth while doing you need to sell boats and from the builders side of the fence that is what the annual Crick feeding frenzy is fueled by.

The old faithfuls are there year in year out but some of those if it is beleived don't need to advertise let alone exibit.

If the exhibitor fees were reduced along with admissions prices maybe everyone would be happier.

It's not just boats I have seen it in various events I have exibited at where the theme is lost amongst the miracle vege peeler, food viilage, real ale how much did that cost tent? and the charge of the catering van brigade to secure the prime location! :lol:

It used to be said that the beer tent was a very handy place to go and extract a deposit though! (Beer loosens the grip on the wallet)

I believe Heartwoods are going....

..they are taking my boat! So if they don't turn up it'll be because they've nabbed themselves a free hol - in which case, can I enlist you lot to track Intrepid down?? :lol:

To help you find it - it's 57ft long, with a Beta engine and a granite worktop! :lol:

Now hopefully I can get my own holidays sorted out to be there meself!

Penny

Edited by NiceNarrowboat

Cheers

Ian

RCR have told me that they are going and I will be running the free mini-courses.

I suspected that would be the case with a number of past exhibitors , plus you have a number of possible participants that are no longer trading . The problem is the less exhibitors there are then the less attractive the event becomes for visitors - the less visitors the less attractive for exhibitors in following years - a vicious circle and thats without the vagaries of the weather . Dont know what the answer is for the organisers but as far as I am concerned unless there is a considerable change to the exhibior list it wouldnt really be worth my while to make the effort to visit the event.

To be fair, I think Crick is a show for people looking for a new boat and other people looking for equipment, spares, gizmos etc.. The third element is just people on a day out dreaming of the future. I broker used boats, and that is probably not what the bulk of people are there looking for. I do think many exhibitors there are doing so because they always have in the past. They don't have a business model that tells them what, if anything, the return on it may be. But the same people carry on with tired old print ads that look the same as they did 15 years ago. The internet is king now for many businesses, and that is where 95% (measured) of my business/enquiries/interest stems from. You can display your goods with decent photography and detail at leisure, free of mud and overpriced burgers. Customers can visit at leisure, equally free of mud and overpriced burgers. The Great Exhibition was a huge success in 1851. It's time to move on.

Used to go to braunston every year. Went to Crick once, never again.

Well, only class boats were exhibited at Braunston :lol:

...and to top it all there was a nice parade of working boats :lol:

...mostly bumping into each other and the exhibits :lol:

Well, only class boats were exhibited at Braunston :lol:

...and to top it all there was a nice parade of working boats :lol:

...mostly bumping into each other and the exhibits :lol:

Yeah I wouldn't have believed possble to get three working boats abreast under Bridge 91 (A45 by the Mill House) -until we did it!

Tony.

To be fair, I think Crick is a show for people looking for a new boat and other people looking for equipment, spares, gizmos etc..

Spot On.

At Alvecote every day is a Boat Show. It shows the prospective purchasers US.

Not a front put on for the Show.

I think it's also a gathering of the clans. I enjoy seeing again, and yarning with, people such as Marine Engine Services (who sold us the Rigas engine for our last boat), Mel Davis (who built our present boat) and that determinedly trad gentleman with his Russell Newbery engine thumping away and surrounded by chaps with beards.

For exactly the same reasons , and for the first time since the show started , Craftmaster won`t be going. It costs too much and is too often compromised to make it good economic sense this year.

We will be at The Great Dorset Steam Fair later in the summer - where a 25` x 25`stand , with parking for our caravans at the back of the marquee, costs less for 5 days than Crick does for three - where we meet customers from all our markets (including the canal) and actually trade at a handsome profit.

I know that such events are as much about publicity and accessability - but at the moment we can`t afford to lose money promoting the business in a market where , really, we are already well enough known.

Spot On.

At Alvecote every day is a Boat Show. It shows the prospective purchasers US.

Not a front put on for the Show.

a

very true and a nice time we had looking over the boats, even if my wife did astound everyone by suddenly deciding she liked oak trim and portholes after all. However we're going to Crick to nick a few ideas so that we can come back and compare again

To be fair, I think Crick is a show for people looking for a new boat and other people looking for equipment, spares, gizmos etc.. The third element is just people on a day out dreaming of the future. I broker used boats, and that is probably not what the bulk of people are there looking for. I do think many exhibitors there are doing so because they always have in the past. They don't have a business model that tells them what, if anything, the return on it may be. But the same people carry on with tired old print ads that look the same as they did 15 years ago. The internet is king now for many businesses, and that is where 95% (measured) of my business/enquiries/interest stems from. You can display your goods with decent photography and detail at leisure, free of mud and overpriced burgers. Customers can visit at leisure, equally free of mud and overpriced burgers. The Great Exhibition was a huge success in 1851. It's time to move on.

#

Trouble is that very many builders haven't grasped the importance of a a well constructed website. Why is it that so many builders show a boat in build with toe odd beer belly thrown in for good measure but never manage to show good examples of their completed boats. Also some builders have pages "under construction" for far too long. You are correct in saying ther internet is king but only if you put a great deal of effort into it. In my search for a builder I have been put off from pursuing my interest for some builders purely because of the poor quality of their websites. They may well build fine boats but I'm influenced initially by the quality of their websites. In the same way that I look at white van man, vehicle plastered with advertising and driving like a prat, and I say to myself - drive like one so must work like one. I draw not too disimilar conclusions about boat builders with poor quality sites.

a

very true and a nice time we had looking over the boats, even if my wife did astound everyone by suddenly deciding she liked oak trim and portholes after all. However we're going to Crick to nick a few ideas so that we can come back and compare again

#

Trouble is that very many builders haven't grasped the importance of a a well constructed website. Why is it that so many builders show a boat in build with toe odd beer belly thrown in for good measure but never manage to show good examples of their completed boats. Also some builders have pages "under construction" for far too long. You are correct in saying ther internet is king but only if you put a great deal of effort into it. In my search for a builder I have been put off from pursuing my interest for some builders purely because of the poor quality of their websites. They may well build fine boats but I'm influenced initially by the quality of their websites. In the same way that I look at white van man, vehicle plastered with advertising and driving like a prat, and I say to myself - drive like one so must work like one. I draw not too disimilar conclusions about boat builders with poor quality sites.

Problem with websites is most boatbuilders have to pay to have them constructed and updated which limits there usefulness, the other option is to do it yourself but metal benders tend to be distinctly Luddite in their approach to computers etc.

Websites do sell more boats than magazine adverts though.

We wish everyone who exhibits and attends this years show the very best of luck & lets hope the sun does shine for once!

It's been a tough year for so many businesses and they all deserve support for finding the time to fit this into their diaries and the funds to pay for the stands and show material.

We're going as punters this year as we only took one deposit for a berth last year and we then gave that back to the customers when their house sale fell through! :lol: