Stove grate snapped in half!

kayDee

Featured Posts

Hi all...

Over the weekend, I noticed that our fire seemed to be having problems 'staying in' so upon a closer inspection - I found that the entire grate had snapped in half and fallen into the ash box below. Fab!

Anyway, does anyone know the best place to try and get another one from? I'm guessing they're not that easy to find as I don't know what make of stove we have. I've kept the two bits of broken grate though for reference. Shall I take a few photos?

Any help REALLY appreciated as we REALLY miss not having it on! :lol:

Kay

x

picture paints a thousand words yes please of the fire somebody will identify it

Thanks Denboy, will take some later when I get back and upload them...

I do have this one but its not exactly a good close-up!

DSCN1679.JPG

Kay

x

Not sure about the fire,but the boat looks good.

Leo

Looks like a Morso Squirrel. The little round grates often break on them. A good chandlery would probably hold spares.

edit. Not sure it is actually :lol:

edit edit: No it isn't a squirrel.

Edited by magnetman

Looks like a Morso Squirrel. The little round grates often break on them. A good chandlery would probably hold spares.

Thanks for that, but its the whole grate that has snapped (and the round bit) so I've got absolutely nothing I can use at the moment to patch it up.

Kay

x

So did i but the air draw in the door is at the bottom so im stumped

So did i but the air draw in the door is at the bottom so im stumped

Just a variation - unless Kay tells us that it is one of the Squirrel 'clones', it is safe to assume that it is a Squirrel.

Cast fire bars and grates have a finite life. Iron will burn if it gets sufficient oxygen and heat - it will also develop stress fractures as a result of constant variations between extreme temperatures - so it is best to treat firebars and grates as consumables and keep spares for when they expire. Most good chandlers stock the necessary spares. Continuing to use a Squirrel riddling grate that is partially burned, cracked or distorted may cause localised overheating (and therefore damage) elsewhere so it is good practice to replace these items as soon as they start to fail

Just a variation - unless Kay tells us that it is one of the Squirrel 'clones', it is safe to assume that it is a Squirrel.

the feet look a bit ornate to be a squirrel and the spinwheel in the fire door is at the top on a squirrel.

If it is a Morso Squirrel there will be a decoration in the side of the stove in the form of a mammoth.

I'll freely admit I'm no expert on Squirrels.

But don't some, (or all ?) of them have shaker grates ?

Does this stove have a shaker grate, or just a simple cast firebars affair ?

I still don't think it looks very like any Squirrel I've ever seen, TBH, but I don't know about "Squirrel clones".

I did wonder if it might be an older version of the Brunel stove, but can't find any pictures to support that.

I couldn't make out the photo, but it's the same as mine as well.

Spares are horribly expensive, they asked me for 60 quid for a replacement ash pan last year, however if you've money to spend heatstore do mail order 01527 853622.

It's a Stovax Brunel.

http://www.stovax.com/products.htm?cid=4&sid=8

I know, as it's the exact same stove I have.

Yes, I already said I wondered if it was a Brunel.

But Kay's is not the same as the one in the link, is it ? Although much looks the same, the door is quite different, with less glass, but an extra vent in it.

I couldn't find a picture on the Web to match hers.

But Kay's is not the same as the one in the link, is it ? Although much looks the same, the door is quite different, with less glass, but an extra vent in it.

It is a Stovax Brunel, as it is exactly the same as the one I have ( the one on the site is the Brunel done in Enamel - but essentially the same stove).

Mine has the two air vents (one on the ash pan area, the other on the main door) - exactly as Kay's - I've got the manual somewhere if that will be of assistance (although it's not that much of a manual).

Edited by grahoom

It's a Brunel 1A instead of a Brunel 1 if you're right Alan. Can't make out the image myself.... The 1A has the extra vent so I believe (unless that's the 1 but I'd thought A stood for Airwash so probably not)

Kay, for a quick fix in the interim a cast iron drain cover works a treat as a temp fix. You can pick them up from decent hardware shops.

That's a good tip, I've heard of it before with good results.

A couple of years on urw some idiot took that advice but used a plastic drain cover by mistake. It didn't last very long apparently.

If you look at this link....

http://www.fireplaces-oldham.co.uk/stovax.htm

there is what looks like an exact match for it, including the door.

Brunel.jpg

I said it wasn't a Squirrel. :lol:

That's the one! Perfect! Thanks to everyone that has repied on this - I really appreciate it. I just need to find somewhere in Lancashire that stocks them. I will ask the chandlery if they can get hold of spares first as they're the closest.

Thanks again everyone...

Kay

x