monday23rd feb lidl

gaggle

Featured Posts

60 led bulb work lamp £9.97 12 volt

ikg powder fire extinguisher £6.35

other odds and bods for car or boat -ratchet straps assorted size amounts prices

Great, thanks for that gaggle.

I think I might well be visiting Lidl on Monday!

Stewey

I recall it's been asked before but are these BSS approved? If so, race you to Lidl!

I bought three 1kg extinguishers from Lidl a couple of years ago, two went in the cars, and I put the third on the boat as an extra. When I had my BSS exam later in the year, the examiner looked at it and said it was OK. It does not have the Kite mark on it, but apparently carries an approved EEC mark which is acceprtable.

I seem to remember that last year Lidl had 2kg extinguishers, only a few weeks after the Ikg were on sale, or was it Aldi? They seemto follow each other quite closely where special purchases are concerned.

Edited by David Schweizer

I bought three 1kg extinguishers from Lidl a couple of years ago, two went in the cars, and I put the third on the boat as an extra. When I had my BSS exam later in the year, the examiner looked at it and said it was OK. It does not have the Kite mark on it, but apparently carries an approved EEC mark which is acceprtable.

Typical! I buy fire extinguishers and then Lidl go and stock them :lol:

Anyone else need to buy anything cheaply? I'll buy it full price and then Lidl will have them in by the end of March...

Same proviso about these Lidl extinguishers as in previous threads.

They are perfectly good 1KG Dry Powder extinguishers, but they are only rated as "5A 34BC"

This means unlike other more expensive 1KG ones sold at canal outlets, (e.g. Midland Chandlers and/or Limekiln) you need five to satisfy the BSS requirement for a longer boat, not the three that would be acceptable for the higher rated type.

You also need some surfaces on which to mount 5 extinguishers, which might start to look a bit overwhelming.

I don't wish to start the whole protracted debate again, but although all perfectly good products, not all 1Kg extinguishers have the same ratings.

Same proviso about these Lidl extinguishers as in previous threads.

They are perfectly good 1KG Dry Powder extinguishers, but they are only rated as "5A 34BC"

This means unlike other more expensive 1KG ones sold at canal outlets, (e.g. Midland Chandlers and/or Limekiln) you need five to satisfy the BSS requirement for a longer boat, not the three that would be acceptable for the higher rated type.

You also need some surfaces on which to mount 5 extinguishers, which might start to look a bit overwhelming.

I don't wish to start the whole protracted debate again, but although all perfectly good products, not all 1Kg extinguishers have the same ratings.

When I undertook my Boatmaster's Licence training we spent half an afternoon with the local Fire Prevention Officer, he made his views on 1kg extinguishers witha 8A rating very clear. Apparently there is a way of increasing the theoretical rating, but no matter what you do, you cannot produce 2kg of powder from a 1kg appliance. He demonsrated that there is not enough powder in any type of 1kg appliance to extinguish an engine fire, or to hold back a fire for very long, wheras there is a chance with 2kg. of powder. And yes it was very messy.

It was his professional view that whist 1kg 8A extinguishers were better than nothing, it was far better to equip a boat with three 2kg 13A appliances, especially as the purpose was to effect a safe exit whilst trying to hold back a fire, and walking backwards through a restricted space.

I have three 2kg 13A Chubb Extinguishers on my boat, (plus on Lidl 1kg 5A spare)

Typical! I buy fire extinguishers and then Lidl go and stock them :lol:

Anyone else need to buy anything cheaply? I'll buy it full price and then Lidl will have them in by the end of March...

Ah but in my neck of the woods, these extinguishers were £3.57 on the 2nd Feb. Needless to say I went in yesterday and there was not a one to be seen in my nearest store.

Last year they were the ANAF items carrying the Marine Equipment Directive (MED) ship's wheel mark. As such these were compliant with the BSS requirements. It is acceptable to build to the total requirement using more than the minimum number of extinguishers.

It is your choice as to waht combination of extinguishers you wish to have, say possibly, fewer 2kg or heavier units around, or more 1kg units. It may depend on how long your boat is or how many decks or compartment it has for you to be able to reach a unit. You might also consider what sorts of high risk appliances there are around and where they are on the boat.

In our local store there were also, apparently, fire blankets, again according to the catalogue blurb compliant, allegedly, but please do check this carefully before purchase. [are there enough caveats in that sentence?]

Regards

Rob@BSS Office

When I undertook my Boatmaster's Licence training we spent half an afternoon with the local Fire Prevention Officer, he made his views on 1kg extinguishers witha 8A rating very clear. Apparently there is a way of increasing the theoretical rating, but no matter what you do, you cannot produce 2kg of powder from a 1kg appliance. He demonsrated that there is not enough powder in any type of 1kg appliance to extinguish an engine fire, or to hold back a fire for very long, wheras there is a chance with 2kg. of powder. And yes it was very messy.

It was his professional view that whist 1kg 8A extinguishers were better than nothing, it was far better to equip a boat with three 2kg 13A appliances, especially as the purpose was to effect a safe exit whilst trying to hold back a fire, and walking backwards through a restricted space.

I have three 2kg 13A Chubb Extinguishers on my boat, (plus on Lidl 1kg 5A spare)

I concur with these comments and having work related with extinguisher manufacturers and service companies as an independent person I also have placed three propriety 2kg powder extinguishers in our shared ownership boat. Ratings are dependant on extinguishing a standard fire under closely controlled conditions. This has no relationship as to how well a typical boat fire will be extinguished by a typical boater suffice it to believe that a 2kg extinguisher will better suited to the task than a 1kg product.

Interesting to note you have Chubb product which is only available to contracted Chubb customers. UTC product is generally only available for retail sale as Thomas Glover, Fire Power or Gloria product?