Starting a Lister JP2

mykaskin

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

I did some filming on Sunday, and this is the result:

http://www.vimeo.com/3134959

(Watch it in HD if you are able - if it's not already click the "HD is Off" button to turn it on, and make it full screen (the arrows that look like an X bottom right).

I didn't go into everything, and I'm sure someone will pipe up and mention something that I should or shouldn't have done, but hey ho.

Remember the engine was warm when I did this, and during the filming must have started the engine over 10 times :-)

<edit>The video also shows the compression change-over valves in operation</edit>

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Hi Folks,

(Watch it in HD if you are able - if it's not already click the "HD is Off" button to turn it on, and make it full screen (the arrows that look like an X bottom right).

I didn't go into everything, and I'm sure someone will pipe up and mention something that I should or shouldn't have done, but hey ho.

Remember the engine was warm when I did this, and during the filming must have started the engine over 10 times :-)

<edit>The video also shows the compression change-over valves in operation</edit>

Cheers,

Mike

Well I liked it...up to your usual high standard, esp in HD...you know what? you should do it for a living! :lol:

Hi Folks,

Cheers,

Mike

Loved it Mike. Brought back a few memories.

The oil used to drain down in that engine. Watch it or you will overfill the system.

Bit worried about the bit of string, especially if it cold. I found I could knock the lever down one handed without losing any speed. If it is too cold using the bit of string is likely to hurt your hand!

The little cam on the fuel pump for starting used to come loose and fall off qute regularly. I never found it necessary, even in the depths of winter, although I did put it back on again when I found it. I couldn't see if it was still there.

Good luck with Victoria.

Loved it Mike. Brought back a few memories.

The oil used to drain down in that engine. Watch it or you will overfill the system.

Bit worried about the bit of string, especially if it cold. I found I could knock the lever down one handed without losing any speed. If it is too cold using the bit of string is likely to hurt your hand!

The little cam on the fuel pump for starting used to come loose and fall off qute regularly. I never found it necessary, even in the depths of winter, although I did put it back on again when I found it. I couldn't see if it was still there.

Good luck with Victoria.

Hi - it's Mike? isn't it? I didn't realise it was you!

Thanks for the info about the oil. I'll be careful there. I'm not very sure about the fuel pump - I'll have a closer look tonight and see what you mean. I need to look at the instructions, but I'm guessing that the pump just operates while you are hand winding? I do have some trouble getting her going when it's really cold outside (like recently), but usually get it going eventually.

I'm not sure what you mean with the string either. I do make sure that I know where the compression is going to happen so it's not a surprise to me, and while I have little problems with lock paddles I'm not all that strong in my arms so really need both (for now anyway - getting fitter by the day! :-)

Thanks,

Mike

It looks like a dry sump with a separate oil tank. If it isn't then ignore this, it's not relevant.

I've found on my FR2 (which has a dry sump) that the oil level on the tank can vary quite a lot. If I run the engine for a few minutes and shut it down whilst it's still quite cold then the level in the tank is low. If it runs all day and is thoroughly hot when shut down the level is higher even next morning when everything is cold again.

I think that makes sense: cold oil will take much longer to drain back to the sump and be scavenged back to the tank. So at shut down there will be much more oil in the engine will will drain slowly back to the sump after the engine has stopped and won't be scavenged back to the tank until next time the engine runs. When hot the oil will be getting back to the sump and being scavenged faster, so less will be left in the sump after shut down and amount in the tank will be greater.

It made sense to me, but I'm probably raving.

MP.

It looks like a dry sump with a separate oil tank. If it isn't then ignore this, it's not relevant.

I've found on my FR2 (which has a dry sump) that the oil level on the tank can vary quite a lot. If I run the engine for a few minutes and shut it down whilst it's still quite cold then the level in the tank is low. If it runs all day and is thoroughly hot when shut down the level is higher even next morning when everything is cold again.

I think that makes sense: cold oil will take much longer to drain back to the sump and be scavenged back to the tank. So at shut down there will be much more oil in the engine will will drain slowly back to the sump after the engine has stopped and won't be scavenged back to the tank until next time the engine runs. When hot the oil will be getting back to the sump and being scavenged faster, so less will be left in the sump after shut down and amount in the tank will be greater.

It made sense to me, but I'm probably raving.

MP.

With that sort of system, you should get the most accurate reading whilst the engine is actually running.

Tim

With that sort of system, you should get the most accurate reading whilst the engine is actually running.

That makes sense. Given that there 25 litres of oil in a fairly tall tank, the actual level isn't critical to the engine at all. I'm sort of assuming that if a significant proportion of that gets burnt or leaks, it will fairly obvious!

MP.

I'm not sure if it's the correct thing to do but during the winter months my uncle uses thinner oil in his JP2 in his Large Northwich to aid hand starting as its easier to turn over. He also uses the string on the compression lever trick but actually turns the speed wheel inside the engine room to give the engine revs when starting.

Edited by Liam

I'm not sure if it's the correct thing to do but during the winter months my uncle uses thinner oil in his JP2 in his Large Northwich to aid hand starting as its easier to turn over.

The Listers recommended oil for normal UK temps is SAE20. Most people use SAE30, probably because it's much easier to get in the right spec than SAE20. That's fine, especially if there's a bit of wear in the engine, but you'll notice the difference between the two when it comes to hand starting, especially in winter.

Tim

I'm not sure if it's the correct thing to do but during the winter months my uncle uses thinner oil in his JP2 in his Large Northwich to aid hand starting as its easier to turn over. He also uses the string on the compression lever trick but actually turns the speed wheel inside the engine room to give the engine revs when starting.

Yeah, I sometime leave the speedwheel at the right speed when I stop it so don't have to bother with the wire.

I can see why the use of thinner oil, temperature really makes a difference in the speed you can spin it at, and when it's been sat for a few days I have to turn the engine several times just to get the oil thin enough to turn it fast enough to start.

Cheers,

Mike

If you could do one about a 2LW (key start) that would be even better!!

Charles

Tell you what - why don't you have a go (since I assume you have access to one). Even if it's just a mobile phone video.

Cheers,

Mike

I was actually going to record a Perkins D3 starting up on my parents boat... I was literally just going to record me turning the key, and then a couple of seconds showing the exhaust! :lol:

Obviously this isn't a dig at Mike, just a bit of banter.. as I don't think I'd be able to make such an interesting video, nevermind with the editing side afterwards!

Hi Folks,

Cheers,

Mike

Thats a nice video, do you mind if I embed it in the engine part of my website? We have a Lister JP3M on Misterton and I'm learning how to hand start it. The string idea is a handy one, I'd heard a similar idea from Chris (Baldock). Normally I just turn the engine as fast as I can and then flick the lever down with one hand.

Simon

Hi Folks,

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry - this is irrelevant , but I can only think of two flatplane eights and I may be jealous.

Phil