boat hire

kit

Featured Posts

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I've had a couple of boats on the Thames but i'm now looking to maybe a buy a narrow boat in the future. I'd like to try it out first, does anyone have any ideas for cheap boat hire in late July? Thanks.

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I've had a couple of boats on the Thames but i'm now looking to maybe a buy a narrow boat in the future. I'd like to try it out first, does anyone have any ideas for cheap boat hire in late July? Thanks.

:lol: Hi Kit

CHEAP and HIRE are two words that do not go well for the month of July....Try a different time of year for instance spring or autumn and u will save about 40 per cent straight away. Also a hire company I do work for give u ur hire money back if u buy the boat so thats worth looking at.

Send me a message if u require further info.

Regards

Tim

I agree with Mr. Smelly that July is not cheap. You would be better off out of peak season.

Be wary of any hire company that appears to be offering very cheap deals and flexible pick up points (i.e. no proper hire base) as they might very well not be proper hire boats but private boats being rented not in accordance to BW terms and conditions and not meeting the correct safety standards.

There is apparently at least one such company out there offering hire boats on the internet that most definitely isn't a legit business.

Do your research well and take heed of recommendations.

Hope you find what you are looking for and have a great time.

D

:lol: Hi Kit

CHEAP and HIRE are two words that do not go well for the month of July....Try a different time of year for instance spring or autumn and u will save about 40 per cent straight away. Also a hire company I do work for give u ur hire money back if u buy the boat so thats worth looking at.

Send me a message if u require further info.

Regards

Tim

I understand Ownerships are offering a good deal, buy a share, keep it for a year and if you don't like it they give you your money back. I don't know about the small print.

Brian

Kit

Agree with the others about time to hire.

Link to probably the largest company ABC (Alvechurch Boat Company) they trade under many names,companies they have bought out over the last few years, there are many other companies and I am sure others will make their recommendation.

Link

ps. they are not cheap but it may give you some ideas, especially about cost.

Also try different styles of boat. Some like Middlewich or Union Canal Carriers have cruisers semi trads and trads for hire. You can usually look at other boats when starting or finishing your hire. Go and have a look at brokers like Whilton Marine or Harral you can get a feel for styles of boats that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Best value we have found is Bettisfield Boats on the Llangollen.

http://www.bettisfieldboats.com/rates.htm

Small boats but nicely fitted out

Chas Hardern have quite low rates (Shropshire Union).

http://www.chashardern.co.uk/prices.htm

Not been on these - they look very homely but not quite new out of the box

Nicest boats have cost the most - from Countrywide Cruisers at Brewood and from ABC boats at Anderton.

UK Boat Hire (which is ABC) do a section called the Rune Club which e-mails excellent offers if you don't mind making sudden decisions. Going online is the best way to save big cash, but you need to strike lucky. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Best value we have found is Bettisfield Boats on the Llangollen.

http://www.bettisfieldboats.com/rates.htm

Small boats but nicely fitted out

Chas Hardern have quite low rates (Shropshire Union).

http://www.chashardern.co.uk/prices.htm

Not been on these - they look very homely but not quite new out of the box

Nicest boats have cost the most - from Countrywide Cruisers at Brewood and from ABC boats at Anderton.

UK Boat Hire (which is ABC) do a section called the Rune Club which e-mails excellent offers if you don't mind making sudden decisions. Going online is the best way to save big cash, but you need to strike lucky. :lol:

Actually Chas Hardern has almost half the fleet under 4 years old with one new 65ft boat out this year, must be thinking of someone else!

Hi Kit,

as everyone has suggested late July is always going to be expensive, but you might want to have a look at www.hireacanalboat.co.uk (based at Sawley marina not far from Nottingham), they are one of the few that have a 4 star rating, from Enjoy England, on all their boats and their prices are amongst the cheapest I've found.

I've had five good boats in the past from Anglowelsh from Tardebigge, Bunbury and Great Hayward. I did lots of research and found them the lowest cost for a good quality boat. I've now got my own boat but have fond memories of my hiring days with them.

• 3 weeks later...

You might like to look at the Camra site. I believe they are doing a discount deal on boats from www.hireacanalboat.co.uk .I have rented from them and found it great.