Boat Prices in the Credit Crunch

heyjude999

Featured Posts

I am looking to buy a wide beam boat. There does not seem to be a lot for sale it this because people want to sell but feel there are no buyers about so are not paying for advertising?

I have noticed that prices do not seem to be coming down despite me having to drop the price of the house I have for sale dramatically.Car prices too seem to be rock bottom.

So how is the boat market?

It also appears that new builds in some cases are cheaper than 2nd hand boats and I am as a newcomer puzzled by this. Is this a quality issue?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated, should I haggle when buying?

Has anyone bought new wide beam lately if so what and from whom, are you pleased with the quality and service?

I look forward to hearing from you.

I suspect that newbuilding prices are falling faster than secondhand because many boatbuilders are struggling and

its better to keep your workforce working and your cashflow flowing than it is to financially "stall" by holding out for higher prices.

Bear in mind that most builders ask for stage payments in advance, so your money will keep them moving.

I spotted this one the other day which I thought a reasonable price.

http://www.thenorthwichboat.com/pages/specials.htm

I walked through one of their widebeams at the IWA last year and thought it of reasonable quality given the fair price.

It was the same boat as the above and advertised as a special for the show and was reduced by £5K to £100K, so the above may well be a bargain.

I don't think you will find as many widebeams for sale because they are mainly used as homes, however there are 53 on the duck at the moment. I think some owners are sometimes unrealistic on asking prices whereas the builders have to be on the ball if they want to survive.

Ive just bought a wide beam.

I have been in contact with narrow boats uk.

They told me about a 60x10 foot that was coming out as a repossesion from a major finance co.

I bought it !!,from the finance co, engine,tanks foam filled. electrics baterrys all panneled out and painted, just ready for kitchen and bedroom

Im well happy If you need contact nos, please let me know. it is a 2006 never been launched and have surveyers who are writing a manual and passing ongoing works and will be comisioned as a 2009.

There are bargains about, but i agree, ive just sold my place in spain for a knock down price, and yet when searching for boats, prices are still high, and the funiest thing is that narrow boats are selling!!!

Col

I don't think you will find as many widebeams for sale because they are mainly used as homes, however there are 53 on the duck at the moment. I think some owners are sometimes unrealistic on asking prices whereas the builders have to be on the ball if they want to survive.

Agreed - some of the prices on Apollo Duck are a tad on the high side, probably because occasionally, someone who isnt that well researched has paid silly money for an old boat (anyone remember the 1970s boat that someone was happy to pay £50k for? Or the 1980's shell that went for £20k?).

Our boat started our for £68k on Apollo Duck - we bought her for £44K! So you could do your research and then offer a more reasonable price.

I think a number of people are looking at boats, particularly widebeams, as a suitable home, which is helping to keep boat prices comparatively stable. With house prices tumbling and mortgages tight, the price of a boat as a home can seem very attractive. Unfortunately, many people coming to boats from housing, are desperate for a home and with absolutely no experience of boats, can be persuaded to part with more money for their new boat home than might otherwise be expected with more experience.

Roger

Ive just bought a wide beam.

I have been in contact with narrow boats uk.

They told me about a 60x10 foot that was coming out as a repossesion from a major finance co.

I bought it !!,from the finance co, engine,tanks foam filled. electrics baterrys all panneled out and painted, just ready for kitchen and bedroom

Im well happy If you need contact nos, please let me know. it is a 2006 never been launched and have surveyers who are writing a manual and passing ongoing works and will be comisioned as a 2009.

There are bargains about, but i agree, ive just sold my place in spain for a knock down price, and yet when searching for boats, prices are still high, and the funiest thing is that narrow boats are selling!!!

Col

I too am having to sell my house in Turkey at a much lower than expected price to fund this boat, it hurts.

Please can I have some contact info as I feel it may well be worth while registering an interest with them.

Kind regards

Edited by heyjude999

Boat building prices should come down. Steel is a lot cheaper now, and in a recession plenty of available labour will mean cheaper labour especially as most the skills required are construction related and the construction industry is faltering badly so plenty of craftsmen available. I would reckon that prices of boat engines and other equipment would also fall a little as companies compete for sales in a market I think will slow down. All this along with the current level of V.A.T it's probably a good time to order one if you have the money.

• 3 weeks later...