Batten Down The Hatches

Geoff

Featured Posts

Like most fuels, diesel is a mix of hydrocarbons, and the components have different freezing points. For Number 2 diesel, as the ambient temperatures drop toward 32 degrees F (0 degrees C), it begins to cloud, due to the paraffin in the fuel solidifying. As the temperatures drop below 32 F, the molecules combine into solids, large enough to be stopped by the filter. This is known as the gel point, and generally occurs about 15 degrees F (-9.5 degrees C) below the cloud point.

This wax then forms a coating on the filter which results in a loss of engine power. The same thing happens on starting an engine when the temperature is below freezing. The filter becomes almost instantly coated with wax - usually, enough fuel gets through to allow the engine to idle, but not attain operating RPM. There are two common ways to overcome this: one is a diesel additive, the other is a fuel heater.

In Alaska and other colder climates, lorries are running regularly at minus 51 degrees or lower so as you see it depends on additives and heating but to freeze as in turning solid you would need laboratory conditions as nature cannot go cold enough to freeze to a low enough temperature.

:lol:

In Alaska and other colder climates, lorries are running regularly at minus 51 degrees or lower so as you see it depends on additives and heating but to freeze as in turning solid you would need laboratory conditions as nature cannot go cold enough to freeze to a low enough temperature.

We were talking to someone in Juneau, the capital of Alaska, and he said that in winter to keep it warm he leaves his engine running 24 hours a day - even in his garage (with a pipe to take the exhaust gases outside) and also when parked outside a shop or his office. We asked him if he wasn't worried that it could be stolen and he just grinned. "Where would they take it?" he asked. Then we realised, Juneau (like many other Alaskan towns) has a good town-wide road system, but it has no connection to the rest of the world.

Just had a quick look ot Metcheck to see what the weathers going to be for the next few days as I'm off w**k

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days....ipcode=solihull

Think it may be a good chance to try winding in adverse weather !!

Or maybe they've got it wrong ?

Geoff

Errm - am I missing something? It gives a forecast for the next week using Solihull as the weather station, and it is around 5 - 6C every day, with lots of shopping in John Lewis, fashionable dining in Wagga Mama and a spattering of footballers' wives - which would be about the seasonal norm for Sollihull.

Edited by Dominic M

We were talking to someone in Juneau, the capital of Alaska, and he said that in winter to keep it warm he leaves his engine running 24 hours a day - even in his garage (with a pipe to take the exhaust gases outside) and also when parked outside a shop or his office. We asked him if he wasn't worried that it could be stolen and he just grinned. "Where would they take it?" he asked. Then we realised, Juneau (like many other Alaskan towns) has a good town-wide road system, but it has no connection to the rest of the world.

My uncle Al and Aunty Margaret who lived in Anchorage (they're in Seattle now as age wears on) told tales of a gizmo that starts the engine once a temp sensor gets low enough to be worrying, hence keeping the block warm enough to get to work (at a NASA observatory no less...). Again there was a vent for the engine fumes.

They've got some absloutely top piccys of the northern lights, but Bolton museum's got the '69 moon landing photos :lol:

edit... blimey, I've just refreshed Metcheck and reckon we're filling the water tank and getting some serious coal action in quite sharpish tomorrow. I've not seen minus 14 for a long time; windchill or otherwise. I suppose we can say goodbye to the breadbaskets on top!

Edited by Smelly

My uncle Al and Aunty Margaret who lived in Anchorage (they're in Seattle now as age wears on) told tales of a gizmo that starts the engine once a temp sensor gets low enough to be worrying, hence keeping the block warm enough to get to work (at a NASA observatory no less...). Again there was a vent for the engine fumes.

They've got some absloutely top piccys of the northern lights, but Bolton museum's got the '69 moon landing photos :lol:

edit... blimey, I've just refreshed Metcheck and reckon we're filling the water tank and getting some serious coal action in quite sharpish tomorrow. I've not seen minus 14 for a long time; windchill or otherwise. I suppose we can say goodbye to the breadbaskets on top!

Someone must have had a word in their ear, it all looks rather boring now :lol:

Tim