port hole liners

Featured Posts

Hi All

Does anyone know where i can get chrome porthole liners from, i can finf brass ones but i need 2 chrome ones?

24712[/snapback]

I have never seen chromed liners, but would have thought that a sea going boat Chandlers would be a better bet. Alternatively get a couple of brass ones and have them Plated, there are lots of small plating shops around the country that will do small jobs, look in yellow pages for them.

• 4 weeks later...

The chrome opening ports have arrived and are great, but i can not see how to fit them so that water will not come into the boat when you open them.other than having them outward opening... am i missing something?

I may have to have them as secondary glazing , i was always going to leave the brass ports on the outside for show but intended to remove the glass , but the glass on the opening ones flush on the inside edge and will fill with water?

Yes Chris you are right i am missing the outer ring but i did not mind as i did not want a chrome outer ring .if the port is fitted on the lining there is a 2'' collar that will fit just right up to the steel shell i will put a pic on the site tomorrow so you can see what i mean, it does not matter to much as i will just leave the original brass ports with glass as is and fit these as liners and put glass shelves in them for storage,

This is the ebay page but you will not tell what i mean from it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ADME:L:RTQ:UK:1

Edited by Richard Bustens

Our port holes open outward, hinged at the top.

- There relativly water proof in the open possition, which is a good job, becuase they dont close!

Insedently, the man who made them keeped saying that it couldnt be done, and that he wanted to make them as the split glass things that you see around, but as my grandad pointed out to him, thats not how portholes open.

Daniel

that he wanted to make them as the split glass things that you see around, but as my grandad pointed out to him, thats not how portholes open.

Daniel

26353[/snapback]

Excuse me Daniel, we have the 'split glass things' and rather like them. :smiley_offtopic:

Is there a difference between 'Portholes' and round windows.

26381[/snapback]

YES. A port hole is as you say round but is also watertight when closed. The same word is used to describe small openings in the walls of castles from which a gun can be fired, so maybe they originally had the same function in warships.

The thoughts of someone that has no experience.

The porthole could be fitted to the inside, with spacers to allow for the fitout depth, a ring fitted on the outside of the hull would be required, this would seal against the hull and the chrome lining. The only drawback is that the chrome lining would be open to the elements.

Told you I had no experience of these things.

Sinking.gif

Yes Maffi

They are obviously for internal fitting, and the sleve is for the thickness of the wall the only problem is that the glass is set back the 2'' of the flange and will fill with water .

Unless they are ment to be fitted on a outward sloping surface like the flair on a hull.

not to bother i will leave the original place and just have these for show, might evenput a mirror in as the builder did not put frosted glass in the bathroom then i can open in the day and close at night or when using the toilet.