It's not a barge!

FadeToScarlet

Featured Posts

People often ask me about my 'long boat',

They often get a short answer!

But they are not wrong to call them long boats. That is what they were called historically down on the Gloucester & Sharpness and the Severn. There is a Longboat Lane in both Stourport and Stourbridge, BTW.

While a submarine MUST be referred to as a boat and not a ship (not that you find them on canals very often)

You did used to find a Submarine on the canals (and a Frigate) when I was a kid. There used to be a Royal Navy recruitment(?) pair that used to do all of the events back in the 70's.

Can anyone else remember them? What became of them?

You did used to find a Submarine on the canals (and a Frigate) when I was a kid. There used to be a Royal Navy recruitment(?) pair that used to do all of the events back in the 70's.

I have a photo somewhere, if I can dig it out I will post it.

There was an article on them in one of the recent canal rags, but I can't recall which one.

There were eventually four altogether, but although effective in recruiting, one of the rounds of defence cuts caused their demise.

I seem to remember the article gave current whereabouts of three of the four, but may be wrong.

They were conventional narrowboat hulls, it was only the top that was made "navy like". I think all were tiller steered. High funnels and masts were demountable for purposes of getting under bridges and tunnels.

Well I think I've found fairly conclusive proof of "Narrow Boat" being a valid term nearly 150 years ago.

John Hassel in his "Tour of the Grand Junction Canal in 1819" uses the terms "boats" and "barges" more or less at random, but does say "The commercial boats used in navigating the canal are long and narrow and admit of two entering a lock at the same time; an economic principal by which they save the double dues; for what reason I am withal unacquainted, but the country people in these parts (Linslade/Leighton Buzzard) call them monkey boats; the passage boats are much broader and have every accommodation for passengers, travelling usually at the rate of 30 miles a day. There is another description of boats called fly boats which are allowed to travel night and day on the Grand Junction Canal; these boats bring with them Manchester goods, and all articles which require particular care, and like the monkey boats, generally go in pairs to save lockage".

He mentions also that the passage time of a lock is about seven minutes here near Linlade, but only three minutes once you get to (the smaller locks) Stoke Bruerne and Braunston.

Edited by Tam & Di

I seem to recall they were mocked up on Springers but I may be wrong.

There is something similar in the yard at Anchor surplus stores, Ripley but it was a flying visit so I didn't get a good look (though I may have taken a photo.

When people refer to my long boat, I tell them that I am not a viking during the week. Therefore it is only a long boat when I am wearing my bronze helmet with a pair of cow horns.

Do they then correct you and point out that the Vikings used longships

There was an article on them in one of the recent canal rags, but I can't recall which one.

There were eventually four altogether, but although effective in recruiting, one of the rounds of defence cuts caused their demise.

I seem to remember the article gave current whereabouts of three of the four, but may be wrong.

They were conventional narrowboat hulls, it was only the top that was made "navy like". I think all were tiller steered. High funnels and masts were demountable for purposes of getting under bridges and tunnels.

They were built in the early 1970s by Pinders of Stoke Prior

There is a submarine styled narrowboat moored in Bollington on the Macc - currently bears the name Nautilus.

I'll have to get a picture next time I go past - it could be one of those, or it could be someones custom built...

Ah, the Nautilis, with its strange double row of portholes, and enven more strange dumbell shaped external porthole covers.