Reversing

Richard Bustens

Featured Posts

Just be aware of your surroundings. I like reversing, but if you're in an open marina or stretch of canal with a cross wind, its best not to try. I think its more that most people don't realise you can't steer in reverse, you just need to briefly put it in forward gear to push water over the tiller every so often to correct your boats course, preferably before it goes off course. You see many people waggling the tiller arm frantically, just before they dispatch crew to fend off the bank/moored boat/etc.

It could be that my boat pulls to one side in forward gear anyway so I don't notice much change in reverse :wacko:. As to ensuring no one is around, doesn't help posting videos reversing does it!

divx or youtube

Back in the days of engineless wherries on the Norfolk Broads, this was a common technique for dealing with the bridges at Yarmouth - after dropping their masts, they'd drop the mudweight and by lengthening the rope or shortening it, could control their speed as the river current took them through. Steering was just about keeping the boat in the middle of the span.

I think that Thames barges did a similar trick.

The barges on the river Hull used the same using a mudweight suspended from the bow. I have heard it described as 'drudging' in some quarters.

Howard Anguish

The barges on the river Hull used the same using a mudweight suspended from the bow. I have heard it described as 'drudging' in some quarters.

Howard Anguish

Are you sure? Going upstream its an anchor and going downstream could cause all sorts of navigational problems.

Howard Anguish

Probably a widely used technique, it was certainly used on the Mersey.

Tim

i realise there is no steering in reverse but i allways wonder if it matters at all, what position the rudder is in.

There is no steering when the prop is spinning in reverse but, when the boat is going backwards and the gearbox is in forwards, there is loads of manouevrebility.

The trick is to balance your reversing with your steering and you can steer, going backwards, as smoothly as going forwards.

Are you sure? Going upstream its an anchor and going downstream could cause all sorts of navigational problems.

Very sure. The barges used to go up the river stern first with a mudweight suspended from the windlass forward with a man tending the line, keeping it just bouncing along the bottom. The drag slowed the barge down sufficiently so that there was a flow over the rudder enabling the barge to be steered round bends by sheering it across the current.

This is a very well known procedure, not just in barge work. It can be used with a mudweight or with an anchor as long as it isn't allowed to bed in. The secret is not letting out too much cable.

Howard Anguish

Not correct; there is some steering if you're going reasonably quickly
I was going to make that point as well. My boat can steers quite well in reverse, but is better at speed. I once got a ropund of applause from moored boaters at bremn=nyford when i reversed my boat b
I was going to make that point as well. My boat can steers quite well in reverse, but is better at speed. I once got a ropund of applause from moored boaters at bremn=nyford when i reversed my boat b

I'll have a pint of what David's drinking :wacko:

Edited by carlt
  • Haha 1