Reality or Red Herring?

Roger t' Bodger

Featured Posts

ChocolateCharlieAtkinsontheMendip.jpg

Here one of many from the NBT Archive, with no credit, of Chocolate Charlie who's likeness I borrowed to create this in-house joke of an advertisement.

Some member said snffily, on the offer of a free cassette toilet for the engine 'ole, "It's not traditional, whats wrong with a bucket?" So I produced this 1930's pastiche ad as evidence that they were 'traditional' despite Thetfords having started production in 1950's. 'Satisfaction like a good woman' was Captain Dave's suggestion for a caption and after we stopped laughing like drains, he said no you can't say that in the 'Steerer'! But I ignored him knowing that it was the key to the joke.

You guys are HOT!

Damn my dixslexia! 'Enquires' Doh!

Roger

Yes, we've got this Edwardian thunderbox in our boat. It works perfectly.

The washstand, BTW, is out of a cabin of a Cunard liner.

thunderbox.jpg

Could I be indelicate enough to ask how these things "work."

Is it simply a bucket in a box or does what appears to be a handle do something?

Paul H

PS Presumably all that chocolate crumb had quite a laxative effect on poor old Charlie Atkins!!

From hands on experience of Nuneaton & Brighton over 5 years I personally found the bucket in the engine'ole much more user friendly. The portapoti on Brighton was always neglected and more than once the excess had to be scouped out of the bowl with the kitchen ladle.

Soup anybody? :lol:

Could I be indelicate enough to ask how these things "work."

Is it simply a bucket in a box or does what appears to be a handle do something?

Paul H

PS Presumably all that chocolate crumb had quite a laxative effect on poor old Charlie Atkins!!

Just when you thought there was nothing new on the subject of boaters’ loos!

There is a large galvanised bucket which sits under a porecelain bowl. This lifts off when you want to empty the bucket.

The bowl is conical shaped and at the bottom there is a flap which closes the opening to the bucket and will retain a little of the flushing water.

Now here’s the indelicate part. The flap is finely balanced with a pivot and a lead weight. When extra weight is, shall we say, “deposited”, the flap opens, cascades the load into the bucket and then snaps shut.

There is a small fresh water tank built in (you can just see the filler hole for this in the picture) and a pump with a brass flushing handle.

I plumbed the freshwater tank into the boat’s water supply so that we don’t have to replenish the water tank by hand.

There are two drawbacks to this device (1) the flap system sometimes get jammed. I then have to ….. well you can guess) and (2) the bucket is about twice the capacity of an elsan, so it is heavy to empty.

So, I’ve compromised and replaced the porecelain bowl and the bucket with the innards of an elsan, carefully preserving the historic bits for posterity.

Edited by koukouvagia

NeilEvansonNuneatonwithBrighton-Sum.jpg

The Trust turns down nothing! A free cassette loo was seen as a advance on a bucket as far as the 'ladies' was concerned.

But personally I find the Looblu so offensive that the effluent in the bucket was far easier to deal with and empty. The bucket is now in one of the cratches along with the Adams Tent that was specially made to fit in the cratch of a Town Class so we can offer high class accommodation to crew members.

Is this you Hairy? I have enjoyed reading you and your daughter's trip reports from the old newsletters that we have been collecting from members and ex-members to create a 40 year written archive as well as a photo archive.

We've had some new members joining the council to breath some more life back into the edifice known as NBT and as a working pair (only since 1995) we are looking for new challenges on the trading front.

Roger

Is this you Hairy? I have enjoyed reading you and your daughter's trip reports from the old newsletters that we have been collecting from members and ex-members to create a 40 year written archive as well as a photo archive.

Yes, looks familiar. :lol:

I was the first trust member to take the snatch with the Brighton. Whilst the trust bought Brighton in late 1995, it was actually a couple of weeks before Easter 1996 when Nick Haines, his daughter and I collected her from Stoke Bruerne.

The Trust turns down nothing!

They turned down my plea to keep the historic engine.... :lol:

There are two drawbacks to this device (1) the flap system sometimes get jammed. I then have to ….. well you can guess)

Go through the motions..... :lol:

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I've heard about 'Enginegate' a difficult and horrible situation where everyone was right but possibly not for the same reasons and then people sadly move on to something else.

Now in this next photo from the vault we have a good photo of our former admin warrior; the much loved, valient and resourceful Claire Johnston. She looks like she can't stop giggling, is it something to do with the odd gent in standing at the tiller and his HAIR! I've got a sneaking suspicion the chap on her right is Richard Horne. The boat is Alton, shortly after she had a good repaint after she appeared in the CFF production of the 'Zoo Robbers' in 1976 as 'Dragonfly' and a plot to steal a Yeti from the London Zoo all goes terribly tits up for the narrowboat kidnappers aboard Nb Cheswick due to some pesky kids! I'll upload some photos as it was earning an income through carrying on the cut! The Film Archive people are asking £40 for a dvd copy. mmmm.

Alton-possibly1977.jpg

Cheswickheadingtowardsfilmlocationo.jpg

When the only Yeti in captivity is kidnapped from the London Zoo, its keeper is naturally a major suspect, but the Yeti and his young friends bring the real culprit to book A group of children's game of cops-and-robbers on their barge becomes reality when an orange-coated Yeti known as Yen-Yen is kidnapped from the Zoo. The children succeed in rescuing Yen-Yen from his kidnappers.

Alton-DragonflytotherescueofYenSent.jpg

The site where I got that review said that the ZOO ROBBERY was releaased 1973 whereas I was led to believe it was 1976 but someone could been guessing.

Cheswickbeingboardedbypeskykids.jpg

Roger

From hands on experience of Nuneaton & Brighton over 5 years I personally found the bucket in the engine'ole much more user friendly. The portapoti on Brighton was always neglected and more than once the excess had to be scouped out of the bowl with the kitchen ladle.

Soup anybody? :lol:

we definitely need a sick smiley!! Although I can remember the porta potti on Sagitta in the HWB fleet leaking fluids all over the floor in the little fore cabin under the cloths.

I've got a sneaking suspicion the chap on her right is Richard Horne.

Alton-possibly1977.jpg

He's certainly tall enough to be Richard Horne but the hair colour looks too dark. The forehead and eyes look right but his lower face looks too chubby.....

And he's smiling too. No, it can't be Richard...... :lol:

Are there a couple of P6's in there so it could be the 70s.

I was going by when the models were introduced. The Mini continued in production for another 25 years. Everything there is an older model at the earlier date, you would think there would be at least one newish car kicking about. However, there is nothing pictured that was definitely made after the earlier date.