New Paint Job for 2009

buggsy

Featured Posts

Hi

just wondering are there many forum members having their boats painted this year and any ideas of cost? I have seen from various websites prices do vary considerably and i do know the amount of work on preparation differs greatly.

cheers

steve

I know two painters reasonably locally (and I think not too far from you). One charges around £100 per foot but I don't know what the other charges (but think he's a bit cheaper).

I think a lot depends on what style you want the boat finished in. For example, several colours will require a lot of masking whereas an unlined single colour will almost certainly be cheaper. Another consideration will be the state of the metalwork. Costs are likely to increase if there's a lot of "repair" work to be done before painting can start and if you have a lot of rivets, etc., you're also likely to have to pay more.

Furthermore, a good painter will usually have a full order book for some while ahead. I've known one who usually had a full book for up to eighteen months/two years ahead.

May not be exactly what you wanted but hope it is useful.

Hi

just wondering are there many forum members having their boats painted this year and any ideas of cost? I have seen from various websites prices do vary considerably and i do know the amount of work on preparation differs greatly.

cheers

steve

We are sitting in Debdale Marina waiting to go into the paint dock next week, so I will be able to give the answer in about 6 week. One thing I can say it will not be th cheapest estimate you will get on the system

Hi just been looking through your discussion and noticed you are looking to get your boat painted.

We are a new company who set up in april 08. Myself and my partner have over 15 yrs experience painting narrow boats and as a new company offer very competative prices.

We have paint for companies and customers alike and have large portfolio of our work. I guarantee you would not be disapointed.

Let me know if you are interested and i can send you some pictures or let me know where you are and i'm sure one of our boats will not be far.

Jamie

Hi Steve,

Based on what I hear from my customers painting prices are ranging from £3500 to £7000+ ex VAT at the moment so I understand it can lead to confusion about what the cost 'should' be. However much you spend on the repaint try make sure you are getting the right amount of quality for that money, I know this is easier said then done. A few things you could do are:

~ Inspect the premises that the boat is being painted in and ask the painter loads of questions regarding where your money goes.

~ Try and see previous work that is at least a year old so you can look at the quality.

~ Talk to previous customers regarding the service.

These things may give your a better idea of the quality you will recieve for your money. In general (if things go to plan) if you spend more - then more effort will be put into creating a durable, attractive finish.

If you spend less - then corners may be cut in terms of preparation or the painter may decrease the time that is left between recoating, because naturally time is money. Cutting corners is bad news as it is important that key priciples are adhered to when painting or preparing a boat otherwise it may develop problems with blistering/peeling within a year or sometimes ealier. But I'd just like to say, this still may happen if you spend alot of money on the repaint, spending alot of money is not going to garantee great results. So with this in mind it is also important to select a quality painter.

If you intend to keep the boat for a while then you may be better off spending a little extra to have her painted correctly by a good painter which will make it last longer. I hope this gives some perspective on what a paintjob costs and I havn't ended up making your descision more complicated!

Chris

There is a chap who hires a Drydock at Braunston Marina to paint his customers boats. I was there in Ocotber and watched him during the four days that we were in the dock next to him. He seemed to be doing a really good job and worked hard.

Don't know his name but the office may give you his name.

I write this as I assume as he hasn't a drydock of his own he may travel.

Martyn

Ours is booked in for April this year. 70 foot. The existing paint is knackered so most of it (not all) is being taken back to bare metal. Total cost including removal from water, transferring to the shed, painting, blacking, signwriting and a few scrolls etc is just under £6,000 including VAT. They are doing the job as you'd hope for that money ie windows out, door panels and frames etc.

That's with Vimart signs at Swanley Marina. I've seen some (in fact quite a few) of their finished jobs and seen a few in the process in their shed and they're really good quality and properly prepared, if a little "plastic" looking. By that I mean the finish is perfect (almost spray paint finish) with no brush marks in it whatsoever which, perhaps oddly by some people's standards, isn't quite to my tastes. But that's what I'm going for because the rest of the job is spot on and carried out properly.

Oh, and after seeing their jobs and been impressed I told them "just do it whatever colours and style you think will look nice". That's how much faith I have in them after seeing their work.

Gibbo

Thats sounds absolutley fabulus. There is no better way of getting quality workmanship than reconmendation.

We have used the same garage for over ten years for our cars and always pass their details onto friends etc. Never heard negative reports.

Errrr.........

I know a rather good painter......

We are sitting in Debdale Marina waiting to go into the paint dock next week, so I will be able to give the answer in about 6 week. One thing I can say it will not be th cheapest estimate you will get on the system

No it won`t - but you`ll get a bloody good paintjob that`s worth every penny.

Phil

Hi, Just had my 55ft cruiser stern narrowboat completed. Boat is about 6yrs old and we bought it 2 years ago which may seem a litle early for a full repaint. When we bought it the paint was mostly sound but the boat had accumulated a lot of knocks and scrapes which had not been touched up and the taff rail had been pulled off and rewelded. Also the original painting had been done outdoors and it had obviously rained on the wet paint so it had a slightly mottled / blemished appearance, therefore when we bought it we factored in a repaint as we got the boat at a good price and have been waiting for the pas 15 months to get through the waiting list. Cost for repaint in two colours with double coach line, sign writing, varnishing external woodwork, some welding, and blacking was between £4,500 and £5,000 inc VAT. We had seen a lot of the previous work as we moor at the boatyard it was painted at and also seen other local boaters who were happy with older paint jobs.

Well you can be sure of one thing Dave will do a 1st class job

David

Ours is booked in for April this year. 70 foot. The existing paint is knackered so most of it (not all) is being taken back to bare metal. Total cost including removal from water, transferring to the shed, painting, blacking, signwriting and a few scrolls etc is just under £6,000 including VAT. They are doing the job as you'd hope for that money ie windows out, door panels and frames etc.

That's with Vimart signs at Swanley Marina. I've seen some (in fact quite a few) of their finished jobs and seen a few in the process in their shed and they're really good quality and properly prepared, if a little "plastic" looking. By that I mean the finish is perfect (almost spray paint finish) with no brush marks in it whatsoever which, perhaps oddly by some people's standards, isn't quite to my tastes. But that's what I'm going for because the rest of the job is spot on and carried out properly.

Oh, and after seeing their jobs and been impressed I told them "just do it whatever colours and style you think will look nice". That's how much faith I have in them after seeing their work.

Gibbo

Great to hear - we're busy saving up around 7k for a paint job and (hopefully) replacement windows...I'll be interested to see the quality of the work - mind if I pop my head in the sheds to take a peek! How many different colours you having? What make of paint you chosen?

Andrew

Edited by Night Hawk

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. the reason for the post was really to get an idea of what people were paying. I have a local guy who i have seen carry out excellent work currently putting together a price so we will have to wait and see.

cheers,

Steve

Great to hear - we're busy saving up around 7k for a paint job and (hopefully) replacement windows...I'll be interested to see the quality of the work - mind if I pop my head in the sheds to take a peek! How many different colours you having? What make of paint you chosen?

Last time I was there they had 3 boats outside the shed that they'd painted. They were all nice. Have a look. You're welcome to watch the progress of ours.

We haven't discussed the type of paint, left that up to them. 3 colours, but I don't know what. Again it's their choice! I'm really not that fussy, as long as it isn't green again. And I don't want red as it will then look like a hire boat :lol:

Gibbo