Oddfellows Carrying Company

Chris-B

Featured Posts

I've heard of ThreeFellows but not OddFellows

well that was what I came up with......BUT he is adamant it is Oddfellows........Pete has not got internet access or tbf would know how to turn it on :lol: hence it gets dumped in my lap so to speak

As far as he can remember one of the boats may have been named "Aquarius" half Josher half BCN ? BUT he did say old age and sh*t memory is not to be trusted

Chris

Edited by Baldock

Actually the name does ring a bell... wasn't it mentioned in the book "Anderton for Orders" ?

I am sure I have heard it somewhere before now I think about it.

Edited by Liam

This kind of rings a bell as a name I think cropped up on our big trip out in the summer.

I recall a name that I think was "Oddfellows", as I thought it rather unusual.

However the Aquarius or half Josher/Half BCN doesn't jog any memories, (.... it sounds more like one half of Bream!).

I'll ask "herself" later if she remembers the "Oddfellows" name.

As an aside one of my brothers went up briefly to the Soar to crew one of the Threefellows boats. Despite his love of working boats, (he subsequently owned and carried with Bilster), he lasted but a few weeks. I get the impression that Threefellows was one of the most ramshackle shoestring operations ever. Certainly it has been reported that some of the boats used on the gravel traffic were sunk on multiple occasions, and I can well believe it.

You got any context? Been googling and most of the 'Oddfellows' links are apropos of the Benevolent Society "Independent Order of Oddfellows".

Just part of a long conversation and Pete asked about Oddfellows carrying as he remembered the boat...

Pete is not a boater but has spent time on and around the cut over the years

Just somebody who I have a pint or two with occasionally

Chris

edited to add :

However the Aquarius or half Josher/Half BCN doesn't jog any memories, (.... it sounds more like one half of Bream!).

Bream is owned by Paul who works with us and it definitely isn't that one.. however I cannot recall another "cut n shut" like it

Edited by Baldock

Just part of a long conversation and Pete asked about Oddfellows carrying as he remembered the boat...

Pete is not a boater but has spent time on and around the cut over the years

Just somebody who I have a pint or two with occasionally

Chris

Well, not that it's a lot of help, but the main link I can find between Oddfellows and any carrying company is The Necropolis Railway ... unless they also used to take coffins down to Woking by boat?

Well, not that it's a lot of help, but the main link I can find between Oddfellows and any carrying company is The Necropolis Railway ... unless they also used to take coffins down to Woking by boat?

Brookwood?

Were'nt (Aren't?) Oddfellows linked or somehow similar to the Masons? Maybe this person was a member, or was it an actual carrying company?

Bream is owned by Paul who works with us and it definitely isn't that one.. however I cannot recall another "cut n shut" like it

No, I was not suggesting it might be Bream, only that that was the only boat I could think of that met that description. (A great boat I always though from when I can remember it being up for sale).

There can't be too many Josher back ends lying around ready to be grafted on to a different front.

We did see a working boat down in Paddington that was BCN Front, but (I think) a new build rear. I wondered if that might be connected, but it was called Harry, and not in any way identified as "Oddfellows".

I still feel I've seen an Oddfellows signed boat this year though, but damned if I can remember where.

Brookwood?

Were'nt (Aren't?) Oddfellows linked or somehow similar to the Masons? Maybe this person was a member, or was it an actual carrying company?

It's a VERY tenuous connection, I'll admit ... CLICKY ... no mention of boats, but I thought I'd throw it into the pot as possibility as I've a hazy memory of something to do with Woking, boats and cofffins - possibly something I saw on TV?

I saw a newish boat recently (not sure if it was this year or last) that was signed "Threefellows" as well as its name and I asked the people on board about it, they said it was nothing to do with the "Threefellows" mentioned above whom they'd not heard of when the boat was commisioned, it had just been a 3-way syndicate and they thought it sounded good.

Did you notice the comma between 'Woking' and 'boats' ?

I thought it was just an apostrophe that had slipped

Edited by Keeping Up

I saw a newish boat recently (not sure if it was this year or last) that was signed "Threefellows" as well as its name and I asked the people on board about it, they said it was nothing to do with the "Threefellows" mentioned above whom they'd not heard of when the boat was commisioned, it had just been a 3-way syndicate and they thought it sounded good.

I thought it was just an apostrophe that had slipped

I am certain I saw an Oddfellows on a farmers field mooring West of Wheaton Aston, around Higher Onn I think. It registered with me because I used to drink in the Oddfellows Arms in Apsley. Could there be some link there?

I've asked OH, and she also has a memory of seeing an "Oddfellows" boat on out summer jaunt, but unfortunately neither of us can remember what, or where. I'm pretty certain it exists, although I appreciate that doesn't move you forwards much.

We didn't go "higher" than the T&M, so unless it's moved, it's in the lower part of a waterways map. :lol: