Ring Magnets

Jim

Featured Posts

Starcross has a rather unusual arrangement for securing the rear cabin doors in the "open" position on its trad stern. The doors are held open by a pair of ring magnets about the diameter of a CD and with the ring about 1" (2.5cm) wide which are positioned on the rear of the cabin - one on either side and the doors stick to them when fully open.

One of the rings is cracked and has a piece missing so I'm looking to replace them. They were on the boat when I bought it so I've no idea where they came from. Any suggestions of stockists would be welcome!

Jim

If you get hold of an old microwave and take the magnetron out of it, dismantle this and you will get a couple of 2" diameter ring magnets suitable for door holding. I did this on my narrow boat and it worked a treat.

Starcross has a rather unusual arrangement for securing the rear cabin doors in the "open" position on its trad stern. The doors are held open by a pair of ring magnets about the diameter of a CD and with the ring about 1" (2.5cm) wide which are positioned on the rear of the cabin - one on either side and the doors stick to them when fully open.

One of the rings is cracked and has a piece missing so I'm looking to replace them. They were on the boat when I bought it so I've no idea where they came from. Any suggestions of stockists would be welcome!

Jim

You could use these-

http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_de...OUNT&id=477

If you can find a really really old TV, a black-and white one with valves, there will probably be a couple of magnets exactly like that around the neck of the tube. They were used for focussing the picture. They stopped using magnets and started using coils of wire instead about the late 1960's IIRC

One possible problem with using magnets to hold the door open is that if someone is leaning against the door and they happen to have a wallet-full of credit cards in their pocket, the magnetic stripe will be wiped clean.

Chris

Chris, I don't know anyone who has "a wallet full of credit cards". I certainly don't, I have a boat instead!

Thanks to all for some interesting ideas so far....

Jim

They're used for stopping implantable cardiac defibrillators from playing up (ouch).

Hi,

Not quite correct, magnetic fields and pacemakers are a 'no go' area. Pacemakers normally have a recording 'chip' in them which is read at each check up (usually every 6 months) or less when the battery is running down (after about 6/7years use). If one has a problem with the heart, details of when this occurred is normally recorded on the 'chip' by moving a magnet over the pacemaker which reords the time and date the event occurred, enabling the reader to check the problem during servicing.

Some pacemakers are used as defibrillators to re-start the heart if it stops, others control the beat, others provide the electrical pulse stimulating the beat, a lot of patients are 100% pacemaker dependant (ie. it stops you stop! brown bread!).

To this end patients are given a small magnet which they are supposed to carry with them.

Magnetic fields encountered in shop doorways as part of a security device are also bad for pacemakers, large shopping centres with numerous security devices present particular problems for patients with these pacemakers, as do magnetic scanners at airports, where body searches are carried out.

Pacemakers are also affected by magnetic fields occurring when power tools and welding equipment are being used.

Due to this I am very careful when using a sea seacher magnet and it gives me a reasonable excuse to go to UBC whilst my wife goes to Uxbridge Shopping centre.

I source my ring magnets from redundant loudspeakers.

Albi

"An ICD may deliver inappropriate shocks (i.e. in the absence of arrhythmia)....disable the ICD with a magnet...." Joint Royal Colleges Ambulance Liaison Committee UK Ambulance Service Clinical Practice Guidelines 2006.

Admittedly, it's a temporary measure, but I stand by my statement, and carry a ring magnet on my ambulance. Don't know it's source though.