Land Line Hook Ups

Morby

Featured Posts

Hello All,

Just need your opinions really.

I am looking at getting a Landline hook up for my 48ft Cruiser. It already has an Inverter and two large leisure batteries, although there is no charging facility from the Medusa Generator on deck.

I have so far been quoted £600 for the work.

My question is... "Is this a good deal?"

Thanks Folks

Morby

Hello All,

I am looking at getting a Landline hook up for my 48ft Cruiser. It already has an Inverter and two large leisure batteries, although there is no charging facility from the Medusa Generator on deck.

£600 to fit and wire a deck connection????

No, that is not a good deal.

Does that include a hefty charger? If not, that is NOT a good price.

It includes the following according to the email:

Battery charger and a power switch with rcd breakers, to select between shore power, inverter, and generator, supply and fit a 3 way panel, stirling pro-charger, ac inlet socket, a shore lead including all cable will be included.

I mean, I thought it was a bit steep, all I need is to be able to run off the landline connection at my marina and charge my batteries.

Any reccomendations?

It includes the following according to the email:

Battery charger and a power switch with rcd breakers, to select between shore power, inverter, and generator, supply and fit a 3 way panel, stirling pro-charger, ac inlet socket, a shore lead including all cable will be included.

I mean, I thought it was a bit steep, all I need is to be able to run off the landline connection at my marina and charge my batteries.

Any reccomendations?

OK, lets break the cost down for the above...

Charger - £160

3-way changeover switch - £30

Deck socket - £10

cable to fit above - £10

shore lead - £20

4 hours labour @ £50 - £200

Total £430

Charger - £160

Deck socket - £10

cable to fit above - £10

shore lead - £20

Total £430

Oh... wonder why he wants so much... I mean the excuse of the Credit Crunch is beginning to wear a little thin.

Thanks chaps. I know exactly what to ask for now. But any further replies or advice would be very welcome.

Morby

Charger - £160

Deck socket - £10

cable to fit above - £10

shore lead - £20

Total £430

I have two Battery isolation keys on the boat, are these the same thing?

Morby

You haven't included the isolation transformer...

Neither did the people who wanted £600!

I have two Battery isolation keys on the boat, are these the same thing?

Morby

No. These are in the 12V supply. The 3 way switch is in the 240v supply.

What inverter do you have fitted BTW?

Neither did the people who wanted £600!

No. These are in the 12V supply. The 3 way switch is in the 240v supply.

What inverter do you have fitted BTW?

The Inverter is a Sterling, 1800 2800 (If that is the right kind of number) was difficult to see as whoever put it in, fixed it upside down!

Morby

The Inverter is a Sterling, 1800 2800 (If that is the right kind of number) was difficult to see as whoever put it in, fixed it upside down!

Morby

Most Stirling inverters can operate in UPS mode, and won't need a changeover switch.

The only downside would be that you would have to connect your genny to the deck socket when you wanted to use generator power.

Most Stirling inverters can operate in UPS mode, and won't need a changeover switch.

The only downside would be that you would have to connect your genny to the deck socket when you wanted to use generator power.

Just been reading Wiki about Isolation transformers. But connecting the Gereator to the deck socket wouldnt really be an issue.

Morby

Just been reading Wiki about Isolation transformers. But connecting the Gereator to the deck socket wouldnt really be an issue.

Morby

OK, so...

Charger - £160

Deck socket - £10

cable to fit above - £10

shore lead - £20

3 hours labour @ £50 - £150

That's down to about £350 (and 3 hours is probably over-egging it on the labour)

OK, so...

Charger - £160

Deck socket - £10

cable to fit above - £10

shore lead - £20

3 hours labour @ £50 - £150

That's down to about £350 (and 3 hours is probably over-egging it on the labour)

You guys are great, at least know I know exactly what to ask for when I ring some of these companies up.

Many thanks

Morby

No need. Just let Mayalld do the job for £350.

That is one persons opinion of how many hours labour are required, but he hasn't seen your boat.

I would suggest you get three people/companies to give you independent quotes and then compare them.

I know from experience that what sounds simple, often takes a lot longer in practice.

I'm not suggesting it won't take 3-4 hours, only that you shouldn't read too much into one or two responses.

There are a lot of electrical "experts" on CWF, but apart from having an opinion, will they a - do the job for you and

b - are they competent to do it ?

Hello All,

Thanks Folks

Morby

If you are female the price will double, a deep voice can save you a fortune!

I thought the "If you are female the price will double" line was from you.

You seem to project yourself as a professional, or am I wrong?

The comment was from general observations from my good lady and other females. If you can tell us all if these people are professional and have overcharged then you've answered your silly own question, how am I supposed to know?

I suppose you could also consider the option of a diesel generator which you may even be able to pick up on E-Bay. This means you would have constant power without needing to be hooked up to a marina. On a 48 foot boat there must be plenty of room to install a quiet running generator so there is this option as well.

Hello All,

Thanks Folks

Morby

I suppose you could also consider the option of a diesel generator which you may even be able to pick up on E-Bay. This means you would have constant power without needing to be hooked up to a marina. On a 48 foot boat there must be plenty of room to install a quiet running generator so there is this option as well.

When you find a silent generator let us know. A quiet running genny annoys the hell out of some of us.

Sue

To everyone who emailed in,

Many thanks for all your advice, I already have a quiet petrol genny on board, but the Marina only allows use before and after certain times of day.

So thanks for that advice.

Also, although a Lady already, I do have quite a deep voice already! Hahaha :lol:

I am getting a few quotes for the work, and the ones I have chosen all live close or within half an hour of me. One lives just down the road, so paying for their time wont be so bad...

I shan't forget to ask all the questions that you chaps and chappesses thought of.

Toodle Pip... Shall let you know how I get on

Be Seeing You

Dr Morbius

Currently Questioning The Use Of Current Buns As Ballast....