12v Water pump high or low?

thomasthetanker

Featured Posts

Hiho folks - silly question

12v inline water pump for shower drainage

Should I put it low so it has to push the water up and out the side of the boat or put it high so it has to suck the water high and then exits level out the side?

Details for those bored enough to read

I have a combined shower and bilge pump, 2 taps to choose if you want to empty bilge or shower

All was fine until the waste pipe for the shower got clogged, some of its big plastic but at some point hidden under the floorboards it becomes a skinny copper pipe. I bought a long flexible rod but that didnt clear it. I bought a pump up pipe unblocker and manged to get water flowing but very slowly. Couple more squirts I thought, blew the bottom off the shower so it empties straight into the bottom of the boat.

Have decided to put a 12v pump next to the shower and exit out the side of the boat, see you can do this sort of thing with woodentops!

Should I make the pump push the water up 3ft out the side or position it higher

Do they suck or blow?

Many thanks :lol:

Should I put it low so it has to push the water up and out the side of the boat or put it high so it has to suck the water high and then exits level out the side?

I have a combined shower and bilge pump, 2 taps to choose if you want to empty bilge or shower

All was fine until the waste pipe for the shower got clogged, some of its big plastic but at some point hidden under the floorboards it becomes a skinny copper pipe. I bought a long flexible rod but that didnt clear it. I bought a pump up pipe unblocker and manged to get water flowing but very slowly. Couple more squirts I thought, blew the bottom off the shower so it empties straight into the bottom of the boat.

Have decided to put a 12v pump next to the shower and exit out the side of the boat, see you can do this sort of thing with woodentops!

Do they suck or blow?

In general water pumps are good at pumping water but bad at pumping air. I would put the pump low so that it primes easily.

I'm also taken with the idea in one of the narrowboat building books. Make the inlet pipe longer than the going up part of the outlet pipe. Then when the pump switches off and the water runs back, it sits in the inlet pipe and doesn't flow back up the plug 'ole.

Richard

Edited to point out I haven't done this yet, but I think it's a great idea.

Edited by RLWP

Do they suck or blow?

Hi There

Simply place it on the floor next to the shower, it will happily pump uphill for three/four feet. it will prime itself from the shower tray.

You must fit some kind of filter - it will get blocked by hair.

A simple insert waste trap (with smaller holes) in the drain hole will be enough (Wilkinsons?)

Alex

It would help if the OP told us exactly what pump he has bought.

I have a Whale Gulper 220 on my shower drain which can be placed in either a horizontal or vertical position (floor or wall). However if it is located on a wall or bulkhead then the pump head should either be below or level with the motor and not above it. This is so that if the pump leaks it does not leak into the motor. Vertical mounting is useful as it can save space.

These type of direct diaghram pumps do not require any filter as they pump hairs and bits of soap straight out. Mine has been woking fine for more than 3 years of liveaboard use.

Edited by blackrose

Are there any centrifugal pumps with ? float switches - I am wanting to fit a new pump where you don't have to manually switch on the ( annoying sounding) gulping sounding ( presumably a diaphragm ?) pump.

Nick

The manual switching and noise of a whale gulper are disadvantages, but I'd say these are minor inconveniences compared to those boxes with float switched bilge pumps that go under the shower drain. They get smelly and require regular cleaning, and they're also prone to leaks.

I'm not sure if there's another type of system which doesn't require the box?

Edited by blackrose