Ginger

Bones

Featured Posts

After a particularly delicious dinner on Saturday night, where I had some ginger cheese cake, I went to the farmers market and in a moment of domestic bliss purchased a huge nob of Ginger.

I now realise that I don't have any recipes for the stuff, and after a google search I thought I would see what you lot do with ginger?

I need recipes that would suit me and dont require too much preparation or attention. I am one of those cooks that starts cooking, gets excited, and then it is a race against time as to whether the end result will be created before I have eaten all the ingredients.

After a particularly delicious dinner on Saturday night, where I had some ginger cheese cake, I went to the farmers market and in a moment of domestic bliss purchased a huge nob of Ginger.

I now realise that I don't have any recipes for the stuff, and after a google search I thought I would see what you lot do with ginger?

I need recipes that would suit me and dont require too much preparation or attention. I am one of those cooks that starts cooking, gets excited, and then it is a race against time as to whether the end result will be created before I have eaten all the ingredients.

Prawns with ginger & spring onions ..........................................yummmy!

Rhubarb & Ginger Jam ...........................................................scrummy!

But don't ask me for a recipe I can't and don't cook !!

Hot and cold ice cream.

1 big dollop of vanilla ice cream and then grate a small amount of ginger on top. Preperation time 15seconds time to eat possibly less. Done. Quick and easy icecream that is both hot and cold at the same time.

You cannot fail with that one unless of course you eat the icecream before you get home . :lol:

OOOO....Love ginger its 'LUSH'! LOL...

Grate it in a simple stir fry...... or grate into a muffin mix with grated orange peel and a sprinkling of choc chips!... goes well with chocolate ANYTHING.

There are 100s of uses for fresh ginger BUT be careful how much you use as it's pretty potent stuff as we found out a while back.

Old fashioned Ginger Biscuits

60 g butter

1/3 cup (75 g) castor sugar

1/2 cup (185 g) golden syrup

2 tablespoons black treacle

3 cm piece fresh ginger

2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 cups (300 g) self-raising flour

Mix butter, sugar, golden syrup and treacle in a saucepan and stir over low-mdium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and cool.

While the mixture is cooling, peel and finely grate the ginger. Press it through a small sieve over a small bowl to extract all the juice. Discard pulp. Sift together the ground ginger and flour. Stir the ginger juice into the cooled mixture, then mix in the flour, a quarter at a time, to form a stiff dough.

Make heaped-teaspooon quantities of dough into balls, then place 5 cm apart on paper-lined baking trays. Bake at 190 for 12-15 minutes or until just golden. Stand biscuits on trays for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool.

Makes about 30.

Major tip - wash saucepan asap or you'll need a hammer & chisel.

You could also try BSPs recipe thingy that she posted a while back.

I think, from memory, you enter in what ingredients you've got in the cupboard and it comes back with a suggestion.

Weetabix and marmite didn't count as ingredients when I tried it so ended up at chippy!

Chewed raw, ginger can help numb a sore throat, (folk remedy, not scientifically proven)

As an infusion (1 teaspoon grated ginger to 1 cup boiling water, leave for 5 minutes and strain) ginger can help ease nausea and headaches. The infusion is also anti-flatulent, (I wish I could get smelly to drink this :lol: ) spasmolyctic and Hepatoprotective (basically good for the digestive system and liver)

(ref: Potters herbal cyclopaedia)

Not quite recipes but it may be useful.

Edited by Bagpuss

Chewed raw, ginger can help numb a sore throat, (folk remedy, not scientifically proven)

As an infusion (1 teaspoon grated ginger to 1 cup boiling water, leave for 5 minutes and strain) ginger can help ease nausea and headaches. The infusion is also anti-flatulent, (I wish I could get smelly to drink this :lol: ) brew up love spasmolyctic and Hepatoprotective (basically good for the digestive system and liver)

(ref: Potters herbal cyclopaedia)

Bagpuss would like to remind you that the properties above stand for the herb and not the manner of preparation!

Me and my dad made some Ginger beer once. When we opened the first bottle, one of those old glass 1 litre Strongbow bottles you saw in the 80s, the screw cap hit the ceiling that hard it flattened against the wall paper and at parties we usued to show people the stain and the cap then dare them to drink the home brew...

The rest of the ginger beer got buried, quite deeply, in the garden and I believe it's still there. If ever you're thinking about buying property in Bolton PM me just in case... It'll be rather unstable by now.

• 1 month later...

You can make a delicious acorn squash and ginger soup.

Grated, with hot water poured on, left to infuse for 5 minutes then strained and sweetened with honey to make a ginger tea, excellent for coughs and colds (and seasickness, and chemo nausea).

Chop a little into a fruit pie made with pears (like an apple pie, but pear and ginger) - yummy. Add some finely chopped to sweet mince for mince pies . Livens it up a treat.

Bagpuss would like to remind you that the properties above stand for the herb and not the manner of preparation!

Me and my dad made some Ginger beer once. When we opened the first bottle, one of those old glass 1 litre Strongbow bottles you saw in the 80s, the screw cap hit the ceiling that hard it flattened against the wall paper and at parties we usued to show people the stain and the cap then dare them to drink the home brew...

The rest of the ginger beer got buried, quite deeply, in the garden and I believe it's still there. If ever you're thinking about buying property in Bolton PM me just in case... It'll be rather unstable by now.

Hah, our youngest has just started making Ginger Beer and we had our first explosion on Saturday. Two litres of the stuff all over the back kitchen!

Richard

Very good for stopping seasickness, apparently, according to the lady doctor on the last but one ship I was on.

She obviously didn't take her own medicine because she was violently sick as soon as we entered the North Sea.

She believed ginger biscuits even worked.

One of my first real memories as a baby is ginger beer in bottles exploding under the stairs and my parents running about trying to stop it happening. I know they gave me some and I enjoyed it.

So far we have had one 2-litre explosion and one 500ml success. One 2-litre unexploded to go and the second batch on its way.

Richard

Never a dull moment..

Bones if you like ginger and quick convenient food try this one

Grate some ginger - take a chicken portion and place it in a tin foil parcel having put in the Ginger and a good splash of Soy sauce - seal the parcel well and whack it in a hot oven for as long as it takes to cook

It'll be fab

I've even added some some sliced potatoes and veg and cooked the whole meal in the parcel

tasty meal and no washing up - a winner every time!