Questions about renting your boat

nbcynical

Featured Posts

Alot of people seem to ask if it is possiable to rent a boat long term and there seems to be a lot of problems bw licence ect.

I know of two companies that do it and have got round the paperwork nightmare legally

<original link removed by mods>

Edited by Lady Muck

Don't think the prices are any better than the hire companies. Most would probably be open to negotiation for longer term hire, especially out of the main system.

£750 pcm? From a hire company?

Can you tell me which company, so I can book a fortnight a year, for the next decade or so.

I've thought about living on a boat next year whilst i'm at Uni (Edgebaston, Birmingham) although to be cost effective it would have to be cheaper than living in a student house. Thing is with student houses you have to rent them for a minimum of 11 months which is a bit of a waste of money when your only effectively at uni for around 8 months of the year. There must be loads of people who do not use there boats in the winter months - October - May? which is when I would be looking to 'rent' a boat.

Alot of people seem to ask if it is possiable to rent a boat long term and there seems to be a lot of problems bw licence ect.

I know of two companies that do it and have got round the paperwork nightmare legally

<original link removed>

It is of course illegal for an organisation or company to run a website without the geographical location being disclosed on that website, which is the case with the first of your clickies.

Out of interest, are you involved with either one or both of the two set ups?

Edited by Lady Muck

It is of course illegal for an organisation or company to run a website without the geographical location being disclosed on that website, which is the case with the first of your clickies.

Out of interest, are you involved with either one or both of the two set ups?

I may be being CYNICAL here, but the OP has posted three new threads on the same subject, with links to the site. As he has only just joined and all posts were immediately after joining, I think we can draw our own conclusions about his motives & involvement. :lol: (I am quite happy to apologise if wrong!!)

Roger

I may be being CYNICAL here, but the OP has posted three new threads on the same subject, with links to the site. As he has only just joined and all posts were immediately after joining, I think we can draw our own conclusions about his motives & involvement. :lol: (I am quite happy to apologise if wrong!!)

Roger

snap and another newbie has a similar thread going :lol: :lol:

Roger

snap and another newbie has a similar thread going :lol: :lol:

As the OP states that this company has got round the minefield of regulations that make legally renting out a boat nigh on impossible in 99% of instances, it would be a very helpful contribution if s/he were to post those details on this forum, wouldn't it? From time to time there have been questions raised on CW about the possibility of renting a boat to live on, usually sparking a debate with people supplying a great many coherent reasons as to why it is not a simple, or even legally possible, thing to do in most instances. These guys obviously have the answers however. I look forward to them.

I've thought about living on a boat next year whilst i'm at Uni (Edgebaston, Birmingham) although to be cost effective it would have to be cheaper than living in a student house. Thing is with student houses you have to rent them for a minimum of 11 months which is a bit of a waste of money when your only effectively at uni for around 8 months of the year. There must be loads of people who do not use there boats in the winter months - October - May? which is when I would be looking to 'rent' a boat.

Rent your beloved boat to a student! are you mad?

It would be sunk, on fire or full of unwashed smelly clothes within the week.........

I know I've got a student son leaching of me at the moment. :lol:

He says he will pay me back someday :lol:

It would be sunk, on fire or full of unwashed smelly clothes within the week.........

Just thought i would say that i am nothing to do with both companies but a good friend of mine rents a boat from etrr for 750 pcm and the guy that runs it is a great fella

I'm 32 years of age, own my own home (currently rented out) and have run my own business for over four years...............

My dad owns a 48' boat which he's currently fitting out. I would have liked to used that but he's planning on going on an extended cruise during the quiet winter months.

Alternatively why not try Sheffield Narrowboats for long term rent.

website at http://www.sheffieldnarrowboats.com/

Apparently they do 12 month lets.

I have no association or interest in the above company. I am merely pointing out that there are a number of alternatives to the renting situation.

D

Alternatively why not try Sheffield Narrowboats for long term rent.

website at http://www.sheffieldnarrowboats.com/

Apparently they do 12 month lets.

I have no association or interest in the above company. I am merely pointing out that there are a number of alternatives to the renting situation.

D

I think you have been a member here with valuable contributions for long enough, that nobody would suspect that of you! :lol:

Roger

I'm 32 years of age, own my own home (currently rented out) and have run my own business for over four years...............

My dad owns a 48' boat which he's currently fitting out. I would have liked to used that but he's planning on going on an extended cruise during the quiet winter months.

'bag 'o' bones' I wasn't suggesting you would leave smelly clothes lying about a boat :lol: I was just having a dig at students in general having paid for two.

Although I did notice even your own dad wouldn't let you use his boat :lol:

'bag 'o' bones' I wasn't suggesting you would leave smelly clothes lying about a boat :lol: I was just having a dig at students in general having paid for two.

Although I did notice even your own dad wouldn't let you use his boat :lol:

Purely because he's only recently bought it and wants to go on an extended cruise when i'm at uni. As your all probally aware the more popular canals such as the Llangollen are far less busy during the autumn months.

See your point about younger students though there all mad as hatters. hmmm I must be getting old! LOL

• 1 month later...

<original link removed>

I notice that this person claims to NOT be anything to do with the 'said' business ( blog post lower down the page). What I have noticed after looking at the website that he has posted, is that the website has the same gramatical and spelling errors that his own post has. Its quite uncanny. So we have to assume that the OP is lying or its just a coincidence. I know what I think! The OP and the ''so called great chap' is one of the same.

Edited by Lady Muck

I notice that this person claims to NOT be anything to do with the 'said' business ( blog post lower down the page). What I have noticed after looking at the website that he has posted, is that the website has the same gramatical and spelling errors that his own post has. Its quite uncanny. So we have to assume that the OP is lying or its just a coincidence. I know what I think! The OP and the ''so called great chap' is one of the same.

Whats even stranger is a newbie entering the debate and going for the jugular straight away142.gif

Whats even stranger is a newbie entering the debate and going for the jugular straight away142.gif

I'm with you there!

There seems to a lot of this coming in on a very old strange thread lately from newbies. The fact that this particular thread has been dead for a couple of months makes you wonder. There is also the fact that when you look at their profile, it is always completely blank.

How about it then Guardian Angel? You would normally be welcomed to the forum, but it does look a bit suspicious!

Roger

There are two ways in which you can "hire" or "let" your "private" boat.

• Make it a hire boat and put it into a fleet (even if that fleet only consists of one boat). Some hire boats are "sponsored", in as much as they are privately owned but the owner has contracted with a third party to hire the boat out for all or part of a year.

• Go down the short term ownership (STO) route. In this case, the "hirer" enters into an agreement with the owner to buy a share in the boat for the duration of the "hire" or "let" period (thus becoming a joint owner of the boat). At the end of the agreed period the share is returned to the owner.

The difference between the two methods is that in the case of the former, the boat is licenced/insured etc as a hire boat which incurs costs which are passed on to the "hirer". The boat would also be subject to new MCA guidelines regarding hire boats. BW has issued guidance about hiring your boat out. With STO those costs are avoided but this form of "hire" or "let" carries its own risks for the private owner.

STO, should not be confused with shared ownership schemes

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with you there!

There seems to a lot of this coming in on a very old strange thread lately from newbies. The fact that this particular thread has been dead for a couple of months makes you wonder. There is also the fact that when you look at their profile, it is always completely blank.

How about it then Guardian Angel? You would normally be welcomed to the forum, but it does look a bit suspicious!

Roger

I can understand your suspicions. I have already tried to explain the reasons why I wrote what I did in a previous post but it got taken off by the administrator. So unfortunatly I am not allowed to say anything further as much as I would like to. The administrator has been made fully aware of the situation and info regarding the said person and hopefully will see fit in correct way in which to deal with it. I have totally legitimate reasons but unable to share them at this time. I am sorry that you feel that I must now not be welcomed to your site. That is unfortunate but if you actually read what I have said in the other post and look a bit closer instead of writing me off as a newbie, you may well see that its to your advantage. Sorry to be cryptic. Or write to me personally, I have no problem with that.