Speedwheel & Gearshift

Liam

Featured Posts

Will they just be tapping it and wondering why nothing happens?

I wonder whether I could get used to that... Anyone got a Large Northwich I could try?

GU motor boats were commonly anticlock to increase speed. I often steered a friend's (also ex-GU) boat which was the opposite, though the gearchange was anticlock for ahead, so that switching from one GU boat to this one meant that both controls were reversed :lol:

Tim

Edited by Timleech

If Liam doesn't want it you could try selling it to me :lol:

SteveE

This is the one we have ( Tony's photo)

image009.jpg

C/w swivels and ballsockets

£75.00 inc carriage

Chris

1st come 1st served I need to have a clearout

As I recall that is the way I have experienced speedwheel and gearshift. Either way I quite like it for boats with classic style low rpm engines and it does give quite good precise control over engine rpm. The only thing I have noticed both for myself and others using it is that when manoeuvring it is a slower process to reduce revs change gear and increase revs again. I guess though it just means you need to plan ahead and anticipate more. Of course it could just be a matter of practice.

You could fit a speedwheel to a modern engine set-up but it doesn't seem as right on that kind of motor. I have a modern diesel on mine and I think I would rather stick to a Morse control in that situation.

As a different take on this my sister and brother in law's boat has gear wheel and pull-push lever for speed. Weird!

Nick

The ones I've driven, a modern tug, and a Large Northwich, and a couple of others, are both clockwise to speed up, anti clockwise to slow down :lol:

Mine's anticlockwise to speed up.

I soon got used to it as it's like using a tap.

I've not read all posts so excuse me if someone else has already mentioned this:

-I think you could arrange the throttle so it's just a wire wrapped around the speedwheel control rod rather than have a threaded crank jobbie.

It might look a bit crude but I think this was actually used on some old boats.

You would have the advantage of being able to reverse your throttle opening by winding the wire in either direction.

Regds A

The ones I've driven, a modern tug, and a Large Northwich, and a couple of others, are both clockwise to speed up, anti clockwise to slow down :lol:

I have only seen one left hander and there the chap used a G clamp to pull a cable, so undoing the G clamp opened the jaws and pulled the cable opening the governor.