What can a surveyor do

MtB

Featured Posts

If I was ever advising anyone on buying a boat I would always say to them - get a survey done.

Myself though, I've never had a survey done on any boat I've bought.

It depends if you have the risk in your favour. When I bought Ocelot:

She's 8 years old. 15/6/4 construction. All of the paperwork records for the boat where in place and in good order. Receipts for blacking every 2 years from new, professional engine service records, receipts for cabin painting (2005) - the list goes on.

I knew that the boat had had little use and most of its 8 year life had been a water born fit out.

I checked all of the systems myself. A new 4 year BSS was put on the boat as part of the sale.

There was no signs of corrosion or pitting around the waterline. Negligible signs of bumps or scrapes on the hull paint.

Generally speaking she appeared to be in very good order.

Add to the fact that I've been boating for all of my adult life and most of my childhood, I've got a fair bit of experience on my side. My back ground is also in Marine Engineering.

Has everything gone smoothly since buying her - NO.

I have a problem with the gas locker flooding (see thread on forum). I have a problem with battery charging (see thread on forum). Nothing that I can't deal with in the fullness of time.

Am I happy with my purchase - yes - very.

It all depends on your experience, ability to solve any problems that turn up and your confidence in what your buying (minus the rose tinted spectacles).

I would still advise others to get a survey though.

I wonder if you bought a boat without a survey, that upon inspection out of the water looked ok ,that then took on water due to a thin point on the bottom you missed if your insurance would cover you at least towards repair costs?

For me so long as the hull is good the rest can be sorted.

A hull survey is about £300 surely worth paying?

You probably already know but battery charging problems are usually caused by dubious current ratings for the battery bank. There's a way of calculating average expected current load and drain in amps (through onboard appliances), so these can be compensated for by the battery banks. Stuff such as wire length, thickness and voltage drop all play a part.

I agree about the survey. I'm having another one done next week as I'm no expert. Another good thing about a survey is you get a chance to talk to the guy about your BSS and find out if he's likely to be reasonable and affordable.

If I was ever advising anyone on buying a boat I would always say to them - get a survey done.

Myself though, I've never had a survey done on any boat I've bought.

It depends if you have the risk in your favour. When I bought Ocelot:

She's 8 years old. 15/6/4 construction. All of the paperwork records for the boat where in place and in good order. Receipts for blacking every 2 years from new, professional engine service records, receipts for cabin painting (2005) - the list goes on.

I knew that the boat had had little use and most of its 8 year life had been a water born fit out.

I checked all of the systems myself. A new 4 year BSS was put on the boat as part of the sale.

There was no signs of corrosion or pitting around the waterline. Negligible signs of bumps or scrapes on the hull paint.

Generally speaking she appeared to be in very good order.

Add to the fact that I've been boating for all of my adult life and most of my childhood, I've got a fair bit of experience on my side. My back ground is also in Marine Engineering.

Has everything gone smoothly since buying her - NO.

I have a problem with the gas locker flooding (see thread on forum). I have a problem with battery charging (see thread on forum). Nothing that I can't deal with in the fullness of time.

Am I happy with my purchase - yes - very.

It all depends on your experience, ability to solve any problems that turn up and your confidence in what your buying (minus the rose tinted spectacles).

I would still advise others to get a survey though.

My hull survey will be about 220 pounds. It takes place next week.

I wonder if you bought a boat without a survey, that upon inspection out of the water looked ok ,that then took on water due to a thin point on the bottom you missed if your insurance would cover you at least towards repair costs?

For me so long as the hull is good the rest can be sorted.

A hull survey is about £300 surely worth paying?