which wooden narrow boat has the nicest lines

owen

Featured Posts

any photos of wooden boats gratefully received im looking for the nicest looking type of narrow boat

it seems to be quite hard to find some wooden narrow boats to look at up where i am they all seem to be steel or barges

any photos of wooden boats gratefully received im looking for the nicest looking type of narrow boat

it seems to be quite hard to find some wooden narrow boats to look at up where i am they all seem to be steel or barges

Assuming that we are talking about Working Narrow Boats, I would vote for Nursers of Braunston, they had a long graceful bow.

But then I would say that. My (steel) boat is based on a Nurser.

Edited by David Schweizer

Assuming that we are talking about Working Narrow Boats, I would vote for Nursers of Braunston, they had a long graceful bow.

But then I would say that. My (steel) boat is based on a Nurser.

ill see if i can find photo or working drawings

Without a shadow of doubt Beech after being re-built in the 80's by my Mentor Ken Ward at Charity Dock .

He pulled the fore end in to give it much finer lines.

This is a project I regret not finishing after he died, but after owning Uxbridge, I vowed not to get involved in wooden boats.

It went to a good home though!

Without a shadow of doubt Beech after being re-built in the 80's by my Mentor Ken Ward at Charity Dock .

This is a project I regret not finishing after he died, but after owning Uxbridge, I vowed not to get involved in wooden boats.

any idea if shes still out there on the cut for me to look at

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.....

this is true but if i see a shape i like then i can manipulate it to my style because out something to gauge it from its a bit like been blinded by a basic boat shape

Pity she was rebuilt on dodgy stocks, though.

The only wooden boat with a reverse hog.

She's moored at Bascote, Owen.

ill see if i can find photo or working drawings

Frank Nurser never worked to drawings just sketches which he chalked out on the floor. There are still quite a few Nurser boats about so you will have to get your camera out. But dont copy the re-built Raymond, they have got the bow completely wrong. Anything restored by Jem Bates will be pretty accurate.

Alternatively there are lots of photos in books.

Anything restored by Jem Bates will be pretty accurate.

That too, is a matter of opinion.

There are some jobs that Jem can be rightly proud of but there are others, two of them Nursers, that have glaring inaccuracies.

The best Nurser rebuild, for accuracy, is almost certainly Hardy, but I look forward to having a good nose round Heatherbelle.

dec042.jpg

rudder3.jpg

Much as I'd like to say Nurser, I was quite simply stunned, when I first climbed into Saturn, to refloat her.

They still should have rebuilt Symbol first, though.

thats a very nice shaped hull, do all wooden narrow boats have the large tiller or is there a way to make it smaller as to cut down on overall length to allow max boat length i would like to make my boat 56 feet long but would like as much living space as possible i would also like to build a boatmans back cabin if this is the correct term and then the living quarters any pictures or drawings of that would be appreciated

thats a very nice shaped hull, do all wooden narrow boats have the large tiller or is there a way to make it smaller as to cut down on overall length to allow max boat length i would like to make my boat 56 feet long but would like as much living space as possible i would also like to build a boatmans back cabin if this is the correct term and then the living quarters any pictures or drawings of that would be appreciated

The pictured boat is a butty/horse boat which always have a large wooden rudder. a motor stern boat would have a smaller, metal rudder more similar (note the word 'similar', not the same) to that on the average new narrow boat.

Very beautiful boat indeed that one. nice.

The pictured boat is a butty/horse boat which always have a large wooden rudder. a motor stern boat would have a smaller, metal rudder more similar (note the word 'similar', not the same) to that on the average new narrow boat.

Very beautiful boat indeed that one. nice.

Fly boat Saturn (rebuild/replica). Just gorgeous!

Worth bearing in mind that saturn, one of the most beautiful hulls on the cut, in order to be habitable, as a hotelboat, became one of the ugliest boats.

i see your point because the curves cut down on height therefore cabin would have needed to be lifted higher for headroom thats only a guess at what you mean please let me know if im on the right line its a beautiful hull but i think a bit adventurous for me something simpler which looks good with full cabin i would like to put a traditional back cabin on as i would of thought that they had everything sorted for ease and practicality

Worth bearing in mind that saturn, one of the most beautiful hulls on the cut, in order to be habitable, as a hotelboat, became one of the ugliest boats.

Come off it, that's a huge overstatement of a valid point.

Yes the requirement to maximise the internal space didn't exactly enhance the lines, but "one of the ugliest boats"?

You must have led a very sheltered life :lol: :lol:

Tim

Come off it, that's a huge overstatement of a valid point.

Yes the requirement to maximise the internal space didn't exactly enhance the lines, but "one of the ugliest boats"?

You must have led a very sheltered life :lol: :lol:

Tim

Ok, one of the ugliest wooden ex-working narrow boats.

The cabin was grossly out of proportion to the hull.

There is a wooden motor, with a hotel boat conversion that we see each time we venture down to Aylesbury, moored offside by a large house about half way down the arm.

It has those distinctive wooden windows that slide on the outside of the cabin, and one of those raised clerestory roofs.

It's well kept, but displays no name.

Any ideas what it is, please ?

Nicest looking boat in restored state at Bates yard, is "Hood", resplendent in S E Barlow colours, but of course we also pass the wonderful "Severn" in Bates' own livery, but that can usually be found somewhere around the Bulbourne dry dock. Currently in the dock is "Mira", also carrying Bates' colours.

There is a wooden motor, with a hotel boat conversion that we see each time we venture down to Aylesbury, moored offside by a large house about half way down the arm.

It has those distinctive wooden windows that slide on the outside of the cabin, and one of those raised clerestory roofs.

It's well kept, but displays no name.

Any ideas what it is, please ?

Nicest looking boat in restored state at Bates yard, is "Hood", resplendent in S E Barlow colours, but of course we also pass the wonderful "Severn" in Bates' own livery, but that can usually be found somewhere around the Bulbourne dry dock. Currently in the dock is "Mira", also carrying Bates' colours.

I have a photo of it next to my boat taken a few years ago. I believe it is Jim Collins old Motor - Kent, built by Nursers for Barlows, and restored by Jem Bates.

I have a photo of it next to my boat taken a few years ago. I believe it is Jim Collins old Motor - Kent, built by Nursers for Barlows, and restored by Jem Bates.

Ah thanks, David.

I don't know why I never take a picture of some of these things, other than that one is just as you are about to enter or leave a lock, and photography isn't my number one priority.

I'm sure this one must have been a hotel boat at some stage, it would seem most likely.

It's decidedly Nurser like, so I'm happy to go with "Kent".

I'd love to know what the wide selection of boats "on the hard" in Jem Bates' yard are. Some are well advanced in restoration, others look like they would yield little more than their metalwork, plus suitable dimensions, to what would effectively be new boats.