South Oxford Canal - Is it worth it?

Tony Ross

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,

I haven't been down the South Oxford for about 25 years when i went with my parents so am a little out of touch. It always was a lovely canal but I have noticed in posts to this and other NG's over the last couple of years that it is getting clogged up with "continuous cruisers" moored for mile after mile, nose to tail.

Is this actually the case as i have two separate weeks booked off (the week after next and the 3rd week in September) and i thought i'd use one of these weeks to renew my acquaintance! I'll be coming down from the Napton end.

Any thoughts appreciated

Many thanks

Tony

I don't think it is that much of an issue any more than any other canal. I have not been much further south than Banbury in recent times though. The summit level is probably one of the nicest stretches of canal one can cruise in my opinion.

Edited by churchward

I went up the south oxford to Napton at Easter time and I had a fantastic time. The summit is stunning, and I didn't have too much trouble with continuous moorers at all. There is plenty to see, and over all I think it is well worth a visit (but I am biased!). Thrupp area is often VERY busy with moored boats, and then the bit from above Dukes cut to town, but the variety of boats are good to look at, and if you are on holiday it is just one of those things. I don't think there is any more of a problem on the southern oxford than anywhere else. Indeed Snibble said there was no problem at all when he came up from the K&A.

Now look here you lot..... :lol:

Stop singing the praises of the Southern Oxford.

The more you lot bang on about its picturesque landscape, sleepy canal side villages, tranquil atmosphere etc, etc. The more people will think its worth visiting.

The published view should be that it is a flea infested swamp that should be avoided at all costs. Thereby leaving the picturesque landscape, sleepy canal side villages, tranquil atmosphere etc, etc all to me :lol:

Hi Guys,

I haven't been down the South Oxford for about 25 years when i went with my parents so am a little out of touch. It always was a lovely canal but I have noticed in posts to this and other NG's over the last couple of years that it is getting clogged up with "continuous cruisers" moored for mile after mile, nose to tail.

Tony

Hi Tony.

I have been waiting patiently on this forum for someone to tell me how this can happen "Clogged up with 'continuous cruisers' moored for mile after mile, nose to tail".

The statement offends not only the English language but it also slights that small number of people that define to a great extent the spirit of the canals.. But I suspect that a number of people have seized on that description to justify their own parasitic lifestyle.. I cruised the length of the Oxford a couple of years ago and I was appalled by the numbers of generally very tatty sheeted up boats, dumped in places where they should never be allowed to be.

For a mile before and after every village and most main roads, there were as you say continuous lines of nose to tail boats, whatever they are doing there, they are certainly not cruising, the consequence is that legitimate cruisers of the canal are either greatly inconvenienced or in my case and many others who can't walk the required two miles are totally excluded.

I mentioned in a contribution at the time that the day is surely approaching that those people will amount to a sizable minority of the local population, when the time comes that villagers start to find difficulties getting their children into the local school and are being denied access to other services, that may be the start of the real trouble..

I mentioned the spectra of shaven headed bailiffs and their Alsatian dogs visiting these boat, not without president this situation it is commonplace among caravan dwellers.

Edited by John Orentas

Tony

We were lucky enough to borrow a boat at the end of July and travelled from Oxford to Cropredy and return. (one week)

There are a number of legally moored boats but we never had a problem finding somewhere to moor.

It is well worth a visit if only to see/meet the local 'aristocracy' [bones and Maffi] not sure about 'Proper Job' not met him yet. :lol:

And I went down to Oxford & back from Calcutt in May. I had no problem mooring on any of the visitors moorings at any of the popular sites: Fenny, Cropedy, Banbury, Heyford, Thrupp or Oxford. In fact the visitor moorings in Banbury & Oxford were virtually deserted.

If there was a serious problem with boats being moored continuously where they shouldn't be, that would hardly have been the case. I suspect that the issue really is that it is a very popular canal and that it gets busy during the Summer because of VISITING boats. And people latch on to this idea of continuous moorers to explain the difficulty that they then have getting a mooring.

Which is not to say that there aren't any boats that appear not to have moved in an age which aren't on long term mooring sites. Just that they don't tend to be moored on the vistor moorings and therefore not much of an issue. In my experience.

But as Proper Job says, it is a ghastly canal. Go somewhere else. (cough). :lol:

I cannot recommend the southern Oxford Canal.

It is shallow;

it is muddy;

it is purulent with hire craft;

there are queues at locks;

there are pirates who attack boats between Napton and Fenny Compton;

there are riots and civil wars at Cropredy;

and if you proceed further south you will meet skellingtons and be eaten by cannibals!

I can heartily recommend the Southern Oxford, and believe that everybody should spend as much time on it as possible, particularly in August, when it's easily at it's best.....

Actually, it's one of the few more southerly canals north of the Thames that we will not be taking in on our current travels, and if I can persuade you all on to it, we will get less congestion on the ones we are travelling!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it's still well worth the trip so I'll go in September when the schools are back and hopefully it will be a bit quieter. Will be disappointed if i don't see any pirates though!!

regards,

Tony

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it's still well worth the trip so I'll go in September when the schools are back and hopefully it will be a bit quieter. Will be disappointed if i don't see any pirates though!!

We shall hoist the 'Skull & Bones' and prepare to intercept anyone who dares to proceed south of Napton - in the meantime, I see that I omitted to mention the Serpents and Sea Monsters that lurk in the approaches to Oxford. They will get you even if the others fail . . .

I cannot recommend the southern Oxford Canal.

It is shallow;

it is muddy;

it is purulent with hire craft;

there are queues at locks;

there are pirates who attack boats between Napton and Fenny Compton;

there are riots and civil wars at Cropredy;

and if you proceed further south you will meet skellingtons and be eaten by cannibals!

And have your bones boiled on a BBQ, O I almost forgot, you have to pay a toll to get up the Napton flight.

We shall hoist the 'Skull & Bones' and prepare to intercept anyone who dares to proceed south of Napton - in the meantime, I see that I omitted to mention the Serpents and Sea Monsters that lurk in the approaches to Oxford. They will get you even if the others fail . . .

I notice you haven't mentioned the Wheelbarrow eating serpents - After it was PA'd to 20,000 people, was it returned?

I notice you haven't mentioned the Wheelbarrow eating serpents - After it was PA'd to 20,000 people, was it returned?

I believe that the afore mentioned Wheelbarrow has been re-united with its true and proper guardian. Early report have advised that the wheel is a bit wonkier, but its taking after its owner :lol:

And have your bones boiled on a BBQ, O I almost forgot, you have to pay a toll to get up the Napton flight.

Some would consider the former a real treat, the latter however would put anyone off. You can always hire a lorry to take you around the flight to avoid the toll.

I may be a tad early, but how about a move towards doubling mooring during CropStock next year.

I know a few do, but probably only with friends.

For instance, on the stretch south from the Shop Bridge to the next bridge, doubling up would ease congestion elsewhere where the cut is too narrow.

Obviously this can only be where the cut is at least 4 boats + wide.

A few years back I vaguely remember talk of a "mooring marshal" ?

I shall now duck to avoid the muck and bullets.