• 7-10%
    • 11-20%
    • 21-50%
    • 51-99%
    • 100%
  2. 2. How do you react to boaters going past you too fast

• Nobody has ever gone past me too fast
    • I ignore them - because I speed past other boats
    • I ignore them - because whilst I slow down for other boats, I don't mind people going past me at speed
    • I ignore them - because it won't do any good saying anything
    • I ignore most of them, but will say something if a boat is going very fast
    • I ignore them if they make at least a token effort to ease the throttle a bit, but say something otherwise.
    • I ignore them if they make a significant reduction in speed as they pass, and say something otherwise
    • I ignore them if they slow to tickover well before passing, and remain at tickover until well past. Otherwise I say something
    • I don't like boats passing me, and no matter whether they slow down or not, I'll be out there berating them for going past
  3. 3. The last time that somebody criticised YOU for going too fast, just what were you doing (be honest)

• It's a fair cop, guv! I had the throttle wide open, at far greater revs than I normally cruise
    • Haven't you got any real criminals to catch officer? Yeah, I was a bit over 4mph, but everybody does that when they have an important lock to get to
    • I was proceding along the waterway in an orderly fashion at 3.8mph m'lud
    • Nah, I couldn't have been speeding, I'd eased off on the throttle a bit. Have you had that thing calibrated?
    • 2mph, which I measured with my GPS, so there!
    • I was going as slow as I could given the wind. Would the complainer have rather I ran into him?
    • I slowed to tickover well before passing, and remained at tickover until well after passing. The complainer clearly just enjoys whinging at people, and should buy a caravan
    • I have never been criticised for going too fast

Featured Posts

As you well know, there is nowt shallower than the 'Slough of Despond' and the weed makes it like a scene from the film African Queen.

Well Creek is shallower for further and narrower too, but is fairly weed free. For weed, you need to go West from Bill Fen towards Holme Fen, but take plenty of strong crew for bow-hauling. A boat from the marina got stuck for three hours a week or two ago. I miss the Slough Arm (a bit).

MP.

Well Creek is shallower for further and narrower too, but is fairly weed free. For weed, you need to go West from Bill Fen towards Holme Fen, but take plenty of strong crew for bow-hauling. A boat from the marina got stuck for three hours a week or two ago. I miss the Slough Arm (a bit).

MP.

You old romantic you :lol:

I have experienced a new twist to this argument this weekend.

A boater who slowed down for a mooring space (because there is usually a boat moored there when he passes!)

I guess that what happens when you get to know your own stretch of canal :lol:

In my (feeble) defence it is normally hidden by the fronds of the willow trees and it hasn't moved before for several years. :lol:

Been out for the past week, King's Bromley to Barlaston and back, I would say that around 80 to 90% of boats are going far too fast, I don't complain as It wont make any difference and my boat is always tied up securely. I always slow down for all others, including fishermen, but I do subscribe to the notion of why bother slowing down, as many others have said, if your boats tied up properly, you dont need to go slowly, the only exception to this (in my opinion) is when boats are tied up on pins, it's not always possible to be secure on pins.

Tim C.

the problem with speeding boats, I find, is when you are just tipping some lovely hot soup into a delicious mug in anticipation for a tasty moment, and at the crucial moment a boat goes rocketing past causing your boat to lurch which in turn involves wearing ones soup.

I find such events most inelegant and as a result bellow out of the window, in another act of inelegance for the little ******* to slow down.

My boat is always tied up beautifully with nice bows on either end, but when it moves due to others inconsideration I find that the mooring ropes have absolutely no impact on my soup pouring abilities. It is rather the same when someone is whistling past and misjudges something and hits the boat. Not only is it inappropriate for me to be wearing hot soup - my skin is not designed for it. But when such a thing happens I find myself embracing all sorts of words that I shouldn't know.

Perhaps I should stop eating the soup and just throw it out of the window. If i timed it right, the boiling liquid I might hit a speeding boater.

It's not the physical effort involved, it's the mental anguish caused by having to engage the brain first.

mental anguish at slowing down? I hope you never need to stop your boat in an emergency! Perhaps you should be on Tea Making duties and let the Mrs do the complicated steering thing?

the problem with speeding boats, I find, is when you are just tipping some lovely hot soup into a delicious mug in anticipation for a tasty moment, and at the crucial moment a boat goes rocketing past causing your boat to lurch which in turn involves wearing ones soup.

I find such events most inelegant and as a result bellow out of the window, in another act of inelegance for the little ******* to slow down.

My boat is always tied up beautifully with nice bows on either end, but when it moves due to others inconsideration I find that the mooring ropes have absolutely no impact on my soup pouring abilities. It is rather the same when someone is whistling past and misjudges something and hits the boat. Not only is it inappropriate for me to be wearing hot soup - my skin is not designed for it. But when such a thing happens I find myself embracing all sorts of words that I shouldn't know.

Perhaps I should stop eating the soup and just throw it out of the window. If i timed it right, the boiling liquid I might hit a speeding boater.

mental anguish at slowing down? I hope you never need to stop your boat in an emergency! Perhaps you should be on Tea Making duties and let the Mrs do the complicated steering thing?

That tickled me. Love it. And yes, I have ended up spooning sugar ont he worktop instead of in my tea cup far too many times!