Squatter Boats at visitor moorings

moggyjo

Featured Posts

There is a problem here with boats just mooring up on visitor moorings, that look like they have no intention of leaving. This is such a busy time of the year and people that want to moor up to use one of the Three Pubs in the area cant find anywhere. BW have asked/ told them to move but have said they wont go.

jerichotripjune2008004.jpg

This boat has been there for months

jerichotripjune2008003.jpg

And this one is set up as if they have no intention of moving back to their mooring about 4 miles away

Edited by moggyjo

There is a problem here with boats just mooring up on visitor moorings, that look like they have no intention of leaving. This is such a busy time of the year and people that want to moor up to use one of the Three Pubs in the area cant find anywhere. BW have asked/ told them to move but have said they wont go.

Try going to the user meeting with Robin Evans, he is due to be in Banbury on 31/7/08. He said he was prepared to use any and all legal methods to prevent this kind of thing, the more complaints he gets the more chance something will be done.

Ken

"For insurance reasons". Hmmm, that's a bit tenuous. if the 'squatter' has paid for a licence and can show a receipt or record of the transaction, the fact that they don't have physical possession of the licence itself probably doesn't invalidate their insurance. Unless of course they've not paid the insurance, perhaps under the pretext of having to have the licence in their possession before they can insure their boat. Good wheeze, they could keep BW strung along merrily on that one.

The Hi-Di-Hi holiday camp set up alongside is a right p*** take and I can't see why the local patrol officer can't move them on. A little bit overstaying is one thing but that's almost verging on aggravated trespass.

"For insurance reasons". Hmmm, that's a bit tenuous. if the 'squatter' has paid for a licence and can show a receipt or record of the transaction, the fact that they don't have physical possession of the licence itself probably doesn't invalidate their insurance. Unless of course they've not paid the insurance, perhaps under the pretext of having to have the licence in their possession before they can insure their boat. Good wheeze, they could keep BW strung along merrily on that one.

The Hi-Di-Hi holiday camp set up alongside is a right p*** take and I can't see why the local patrol officer can't move them on. A little bit overstaying is one thing but that's almost verging on aggravated trespass.

I watched a car yesterday, in rush hour, park in the middle of the bus stops in central Stratford-Upon-Avon (basically our bus station and very busy end of the line for most bus local routes and also where drivers sit in their buses for a break); turned on his hazards, opened the hood of his car and propped it up, didn't even looked under the bonnet but walked straight into the neighbouring MacDonalds.

Ten minutes later when my bus arrived he still hadn't returned, meanwhile the five different buses that had pulled in during that time for their breaks and to offload passengers had to stop in the middle of the road and held up all the traffic.

I suspect his putting up the hood of his car is the vehicular equivalent of what mr "insurance reasons" boatman is doing. Grass him up, I say - it's a b@llocks pretendy excuse so he can hang around wherever he wants to, irrelevant of regulations.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

"The Hi-Di-Hi holiday camp set up alongside is a right p*** take and I can't see why the local patrol officer can't move them on. A little bit overstaying is one thing but that's almost verging on aggravated trespass.

Perhaps the rough camp is not on BW controlled land, certainly looks in a state though.

Edited by GSer

Perhaps the rough camp is not on BW controlled land, certainly looks a in state though.

It is BW property, its just next to the towpath

Conjecture:

Could it be that renewal has been refused on the grounds of failing to continuously cruise? That would fit into the "sod you then I'm staying here".

It has been said that the people on the boat are Doctors :lol: and that is why BW are turning a blind eye.

I watched a car yesterday, in rush hour, park in the middle of the bus stops in central Stratford-Upon-Avon (basically our bus station and very busy end of the line for most bus local routes and also where drivers sit in their buses for a break); turned on his hazards, opened the hood of his car and propped it up, didn't even looked under the bonnet but walked straight into the neighbouring MacDonalds.

Just as well he did this in Stratford-Upon-Avon. If he had done that here in London somebody would have pinched his battery! :lol:

Stewey

It has been said that the people on the boat are Doctors

And? What b****y difference does that make BW?

(Conjecture as per Snibble) Great, BW have introduced a hierarchy of undesirability now. If you're a paragon of virtue you get to buck the system too!

I guess we can all have an opinion - but if they are Doctors (plural) then even if they are between contracts etc they probably fully understand that dispalying the appropriate licence and having insurance is a standard procedure and wouldnt be wanted to be seen taking the P155. They certainly couldnt work like that ! so would discount that theory and agree that they "look" like squatters clinging on to a piece of ground they consider nice/convenient at the expense of other bona fide canal users..

If every one behaved like them then anarchy would prevail and those rude enough to flaunt rules will continue to survive.(proabably)

If they are people that seriously limited means and wish to stretch their welcome / rules of use, then one would think that keeping the lowest profile might be the best tatical move... eg move a little stay out of the places that will quickly attract attention and complaints etc.. I can live with that to apoint, but resent my fees rising to pay for teh clean up after them and the legal costs of sorting it out...

Now I'll put my coat on, put the soap box away and get a cold beer

It is BW property, its just next to the towpath

It has been said that the people on the boat are Doctors :lol: and that is why BW are turning a blind eye.

Perhaps I will do the same then... although that didn't stop me getting notes when I was moored up looking after Maffi when he had his eyes out and fixed.

Talk about making it obvious. They have a whole garden set out!

Well maybe it's time to mow the lawn. Of course, BW will prevent themselves from clearing up the garden, quoting H&S and liability constraints, whereas they could quite reasonably pile the junk back on the boat. Or in a skip, except it doesn't look bad kit. And the tomato sauce might not be date-lifed yet.

The boat with the garden furniture out – is it definitely on a visitor’s mooring?

I ask because I know that in some places BW have been allowing permit holders to moor at visitor’s moorings indefinitely without putting up any signs to show that the moorings have been given over to permit holders. I believe there are some near nb Alnwick at Cropredy (permit holders moored at visitor’s moorings).

If they have permission from BW to moor there long term than I personally would have no problem with them using the grassy area beside the tow path as a small garden. It doesn’t look bad to me.

If they shouldn’t be moored there and they are stopping passers by from mooring near pubs etc. then they should be moved on by BW.

... I know that in some places BW have been allowing permit holders to moor at visitor’s moorings indefinitely without putting up any signs to show that the moorings have been given over to permit holders.

Why? What's the excuse?

Visitor moorings are put in places where the passing visitor can moor short term..doh!

Why not move them along past the visitor mooring where they are not taking up space for legitimate users...shouldn't be one rule for one user and another for everyone else.