Fisherpeople....

parasal

Featured Posts

Just came to think the other day when looking out for the next place to moor...if there are fishermen(and/or women) in an available space who has the "right" to it? First come first served? My current experience of fishers is that although they are on the whole pleasant they wouldnt take too kindly to being moved on so I can park up!

Any ideas??

Sal

Just came to think the other day when looking out for the next place to moor...if there are fishermen(and/or women) in an available space who has the "right" to it? First come first served? My current experience of fishers is that although they are on the whole pleasant they wouldnt take too kindly to being moved on so I can park up!

Any ideas??

Sal

If its at recognised visitor moorings or services with rings or bollards and they are in the only gap available then yes, you can risk asking them to move as often happens at tesco in Leighton Buzzard, if its just a stretch of towpath, then I would say its more give an take

you can risk asking them to move as often happens at tesco in Leighton Buzzard,

Been there, done that, got sworn at, did it any way!

Stupid really 'cos there was lots of gaps they could have fished down amongst the long term moorings.

david

I was sworn at for using a lock and spoiling the fishing in Hackney a couple of years ago. The fisherman was fishing immediately in front of the bottom gates and I was descending. He swore at me and threw maggots through my open windows!

Did you try the float test on his gear?

Doesn't their rod licence specify no mooring within 30m of moorings and don't cause an obstruction to the navigation? If it was me, as long as he didn't have a keep net in the water I wouldn't have given him a choice, I've got bigger blunter equipment than him if he starts.

I've no sympathy for fishermen, they get in our way with no consideration of our needs then whinge when we are compelled to get heavy at them, never mind the misery they cause the fish and the ecological questionability of stocking waterways.

Did you try the float test on his gear?

There was at one time a book of guidance rules issued by BW, I think it was sent out with fishing licences and it contained a lot of sensible notes.. It certainly advised not to fish on lock flights or the associated moorings, near moored boats, not to obstruct the towpath in any way and to take their rubbish home with them.. I haven't seen a copy for many years, perhaps BW could be persuaded to resurrect the publication..

I don't normally go along with the commonly quoted north/ south divide ideas but north of Watford Gap anglers and boaters display much less of a 'them and us' attitude.. Come to think of it, anglers seem to be getting a bit thin on the ground lately, could they be going the way of the Water Vole.

There was at one time a book of guidance rules issued by BW, I think it was sent out with fishing licences and it contained a lot of sensible notes.. It certainly advised not to fish on lock flights or the associated moorings, near moored boats, not to obstruct the towpath in any way and to take their rubbish home with them.. I haven't seen a copy for many years, perhaps BW could be persuaded to resurrect the publication..

I don't normally go along with the commonly quoted north/ south divide ideas but north of Watford Gap anglers and boaters display much less of a 'them and us' attitude.. Come to think of it, anglers seem to be getting a bit thin on the ground lately, could they be going the way of the Water Vole.

There have been a few breeding hereabouts but I haven't seen them for the past few weeks, or any signs of their litter :lol:

I just checked on Waterscape. They have watered down the "rules" to guidance. In the Fishing guide it says "10. Respect other waterway users. Try not to fish too close to marked winding holes or moorings which may need to be used by boaters."

In the boaters handbook it says "And try to stay 50 feet (15m) away from established angling spots."

So I guess it's a case of using your common sense. I would ask someone to move if they were fishing from a visitor mooring in the only space available but if the moorings were unmarked I would probably find somewhere else unless I knew there were no other alternative moorings.

Stewart

Along the K&A this time of year where there are no boats moored, you will find fishermen...so if you avoid fishermen then you cannot moor??!!

You must be on a very different part of the K&A from me, apart from fishing matches we see very few anglers.

If an angler is fishing where he shouldn't (by no fishing signs, lock moorings etc) I'll ask them to move, if its just a mooring I'll leave them be, often they have kids and just wanted somewhere to spend some time fishing with the nipper that was safe and manageable. If fishing was banned on visitor moorings then some anglers would face a long walk past long lines of boats on 14 day towpath moorings.

Paul

Save a bag of grass cuttings. If a fisherman sets up close or on your moorings, and we've had them casting over the front deck, then liberally spread said cuttings over their swim, after giving them time to prepare it of course. An effective and non-violent way of deterring them. Regards, HughC.

Save a bag of grass cuttings. If a fisherman sets up close or on your moorings, and we've had them casting over the front deck, then liberally spread said cuttings over their swim, after giving them time to prepare it of course. An effective and non-violent way of deterring them. Regards, HughC.

I never mow the grass on my roof, so ....

I had to moor near the picnic area where the bollards are in Ansty as had to get some gas cylinders from the car to the boat. 2 old boys had set up their fishing camp there, I asked them to move, but they refused. It was unfortunate that they were so busy shouting at me they never understood I was pointing at one of their rods being dragged in the water behind them.

The funny thing is I was leaving about 30 ft either side of my boat, but they were still mad at me. I offered them to sit on the bows of my boat and tell them I'd brew them a pot of coffee, it made them even madder, one told me that in his prime he would have chucked me in the water ... I cold not refrain from asking how tall exactly he used to be as it seemed an unlikely option.

Anyway, sometimes it seems like trying to be polite can be a waste of time.

It is still available and in print, we in London have lots of copys, it's called the Waterways Code and covers boating, fishing, cycling, walking and everything. If anyone wants a copy please PM me with a valid postal address and I'll send you one.

Happy Friday one and all.

D :lol:

In the boaters handbook it says "And try to stay 50 feet (15m) away from established angling spots."

Whilst respecting any angler's swim whilst he is present, and fishing. There is no such thing as an "established angling spot" until the licence to fish becomes anywhere near the licence to boat.

If anyone can tell me what proportion of the £24 licence fee, given to the EA, is allocated to BW, I will know what proportion of the boat tax that miniscule amount is.

Whilst respecting any angler's swim whilst he is present, and fishing. There is no such thing as an "established angling spot" until the licence to fish becomes anywhere near the licence to boat.

If anyone can tell me what proportion of the £24 licence fee, given to the EA, is allocated to BW, I will know what proportion of the boat tax that miniscule amount is.

I would guess the lease purchased by a fishing club for the fishing rights to a limited stretch of the canal is a significant sum, compared to a boats licence allowing the vessel to travel most of the system.

The angling club then decides how many anglers they allow to fish their section of the canal, in a syndicate that could be as little as half a dozen anglers to divvy up for the £4-5,000 ( a figure i saw quoted for a mile or so of our local canal) for 3 years fishing, most clubs have 100 - 200 or so members allowing the cost of the fishing to drop to a reasonable level.

I suppose the same thing applies to a boats licence, if you wish lower costs and will accept less exclusivity take a share in an ownerships type scheme.

At least once you own your boat you don't have to pay a 'tax' as well as a permit to cruise.

Paul

I would guess the lease purchased by a fishing club for the fishing rights to a limited stretch of the canal is a significant sum, compared to a boats licence allowing the vessel to travel most of the system.

The angling club then decides how many anglers they allow to fish their section of the canal, in a syndicate that could be as little as half a dozen anglers to divvy up for the £4-5,000 ( a figure i saw quoted for a mile or so of our local canal) for 3 years fishing, most clubs have 100 - 200 or so members allowing the cost of the fishing to drop to a reasonable level.

I suppose the same thing applies to a boats licence, if you wish lower costs and will accept less exclusivity take a share in an ownerships type scheme.

At least once you own your boat you don't have to pay a 'tax' as well as a permit to cruise.

Paul

The permit to cruise is a tax.

Fishing an exclusive, club owned stretch is the equivalent to a mooring fee.

Some like the extras a marina has, some like the less confined atmosphere of on-line moorings and some like to continuously cruise.

They all have to have their £300+ boat licence, though.

Some anglers fish exclusive syndicated stretches and lakes, some like local club owned waters and some like to fish waters that are free for all.

They all have to have their £24 rod licence, though.

Last Tuesday on the Llangollen we came across a narrowboat that had pulled its pins and was lying across the canal. A fisherman was about 20 foot away so I asked how long the boat had been there. He said it was moored the night before but when he woke up it was loose. He just watched as I struggled to rescue the boat on my own and to secure it again.

miserable bugger......