Here, fridgey fridgey fridgey

Featured Posts

Well, I never had an instruction manual at all so I don't know what the various flashes if its little light mean, but it looks and acts just like a domestic fridge, keeps working even when the batteries are getting low, and doesn't seem to drain them too much. I can't remember details but we're talking at least a week with 2x220 ah batteries (not running much else mind). Anyway, pretty sure you can't get much more efficient. We did get a second hand one of ebay for previous boat. Prior to that (installed just before I sold it) there was an old gas one that didn't work. I used to buy bags of ice cubes from Sainsburys and put them in a tin on the top shelf.

More sensible, on that boat there was a locker under the foredeck, next to the water tank and below the waterline which always stayed cool. Kept the beer in there. It's a shame this sort of thing isn't built into the design of new boats - a space under the waterline insulated from the rest of the boat should always keep pretty cool.

Never heard of this before.

- Eutectic Fridges. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a_eutectic_fridge_work

Anyone out there heard of this system? £700 for a 49l fridge/freezer is a bit naughty................but so is flat batteries and warm beer!

Its a relativly simple concept which simple smooths out the time when the fridge is running and when its not, they have sold calorifyers that work on the same principle.

Only emilyanne we half fill the icebox with blue cold-packs, which is the half way house between bottled water and £700. Run fridge all day when the engines on and everyones on deck. And then nob it off when we come inside and the noise is far to annoying!

Daniel

THe only marine fridges I have used have been th Waeco cu85 type devices, which is used to cool a built in or home brewed chiller space. Had one built into a bavaria Yacht and worked very very well> The cabinent was built into GAlley and compressor was about 8 feet away. ONly had 2 x 110 ah domestic batteries, and never floored them. (More than can be said for radar set)

• 2 weeks later...
Never heard of this before.

Eutectic Fridges.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a_eutectic_fridge_work

Anyone out there heard of this system?

£700 for a 49l fridge/freezer is a bit naughty................but so is flat batteries and warm beer!

Right, I have finally found my LEC technical user guide, but not my passport. As the former is of interest I shall regail its contents. Sadly not all of them because a) i am too lazy and :lol:, nope that's it.

the 12v fridge cuts out at 10.4v and cuts in at 11.7

The models are either ER or EU or EL followed with 25, 55 or 75. I know that were my bulb to blow it would require a bd35 bulb (danfoss).

The compressor operates at a speed of 2000rpm and the light on the front can flash up to 5 times with 1 flash 2 flashes 3 flashes etc meaning different things

1 - battery protection cut out (the battery voltage was out of range)

2-fan over current (the fan loads the electronic unit with more than 0.5A average or 1A peak)

3 - motor speed error

4 - minimum motor speed error

5 - thermal cut-out of electronic unit

On my 12v fridge I also have a shorline power 200 ac/dc converter. The fridge and my 12v are wired into it, and then IT is plugged into the mains (if I have any which I don't) this thing detects whether there is mains in which case it runs the fridge using that, and if not uses the 12v.

I think that just about sums it up. Not a great deal of use I suppose..... however, I do vaguely recall someone mentioning that Lec was very similar to shoreline. If it helps, I purchased this fridge as a second with canalshopman as the middle man

Okay - time to fess up my fridge related shenanegans of late.

Got the new fridge back to the boat only to find that the dimensions the vendor gave me were an inch out. Alas a vital inch and the damn thing wouldn't fit in the alcove in the galley. Grrrr. :lol: The idea of ripping out a bulkhead and shortening the seating to make it fit, on top of your reports that it's gonna eat power like there's no tomorrow, I decided to cut my losses and resell it on Ebay again.

This I did (with a nice looking advert) and managed to sell it for £440 (a £300 profit on what I paid for it a fortnight ago! Yay!)

I now have enough money for an all-singing-all-dancing energy efficient compressor fridge. One that fits. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Okay - time to fess up my fridge related shenanegans of late.

Got the new fridge back to the boat only to find that the dimensions the vendor gave me were an inch out. Alas a vital inch and the damn thing wouldn't fit in the alcove in the galley. Grrrr. :lol: The idea of ripping out a bulkhead and shortening the seating to make it fit, on top of your reports that it's gonna eat power like there's no tomorrow, I decided to cut my losses and resell it on Ebay again.

This I did (with a nice looking advert) and managed to sell it for £440 (a £300 profit on what I paid for it a fotnight ago! Yay!)

I now have enough money for an all-singing-all-dancing energy efficient compressor fridge. One that fits. :lol::lol::lol:

Delighted for you BSPudding . . . . altho' rather chuffed I wasn't your e-purchaser . . . .

You'll have to let us know what model of "all-singing-all-dancing energy efficient compressor fridge" you buy, as I'm intrigued, (and, in the year to come - I'll be buying one I think . . .)

..... I decided to cut my losses and resell it on Ebay again.

This I did (with a nice looking advert) and managed to sell it for £440 (a £300 profit on what I paid for it a fortnight ago! Yay!)

Wow! Who's a clever Clanger! Maybe I should try that with the wireless network connector thingie I bought there and which doesn't (connect).

MP.

And - whilst on the subject of 'Cool . . . . '

I appreciate the value of 'space'

(as in cubic capacity on board a NB, (as opposed to the black'n'starry bit outside Earth)), but (electrical) power consumption V performance is critical for most owners . . .

Is it not feasible to add external thermal insulation to at least the sides and top of refrigerators in order to improve the efficiency . . . or does my SATS level One understanding of Physics and Electrickery manage to overlook some fatal flaw?

I appreciate that 4" of Kingspan, (or similar) above the unit would render an under-counter fit unlikely (!) - but there's more than one way to stroke a pussy . . . . . .

You'll have to let us know what model of "all-singing-all-dancing energy efficient compressor fridge" you buy, as I'm intrigued, (and, in the year to come - I'll be buying one I think . . .)

I'm after one of these:

Fridgey

RL130Fridgemaster.jpg

As it seems to be the most energy efficient one I can find so far ( an it appears to come stocked with cakes, strawberries and beer! :lol::lol::lol: ). Unless anyone else has any recommendations... Although a freezer box would be good.

Delighted for you BSPudding . . . . altho' rather chuffed I wasn't your e-purchaser . . . .

He got a good deal for it - still £200 less than the asking price from some caravan shops. So he did good and I did good and everyone's happy!

Edited by BlueStringPudding

He got a good deal for it - still £200 less than the asking price from some caravan shops. So he did good and I did good and everyone's happy!

Blimey!

I wish I could strike bargains like that!

Equivalent model can be bought for £585 new, so that was an impressive bit of selling....

He wasn't going to put it in a narrowbaot, was he! :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

He wasn't going to put it in a narrowbaot, was he! :lol:

No - not a narrowboat. I assumed it would be for a caravan or a motorhome, (as I put the specs on the ad from the manual) but he told us it was for a Norman 20!!!!!!! It's AS BIG AS A NORMAN 20! Oh well, perhaps cool foodstuffs take an unusually large priority in his weekend cruising plans...

Wow! Who's a clever Clanger! Maybe I should try that with the wireless network connector thingee I bought there and which doesn't (connect).

MP.

Do you mean a 3g dongle?

If so which net work & is it contract or pay as you go?

Justme

I feel a gin theme coming on! :lol:

I have to confess that although I'm partial to a bit of Mother's Ruin, if I have an icecube laden icebox it'll be for making Mojitos. Mmmmmmmm... mojitos...

What's that? Sounds interesting...(do we need to have a seperate thread for alcoholic concocctions? (haven't got a clue how to spell that) ) (or how to bracket sentences correctly). Anyway - recipe please? :lol:

What's that? Sounds interesting...(do we need to have a seperate thread for alcoholic concocctions? (haven't got a clue how to spell that) ) (or how to bracket sentences correctly). Anyway - recipe please? :lol:

Firstly - yes we do already have a thread for alcoholic concoctions! A few actually, but here's a cocktail one! PINK PORTAPOTTI

And a Mojito comprises of Fresh mint torn up, ice, and a touch of brown sugar. Smash it all into the ice. Add a generous glug of Bacardi, squeeze in half a lime and chuck in the squeezed limey skins, then top the lot up with soda water. Gorgeeeeous!

Do you mean a 3g dongle?

If so which net work & is it contract or pay as you go?

Justme

Not a 3G dongle. I'm trying to connect an old PCMCIA wireless card to a "Pringles can" aerial so that I can talk to a base station on the far side of the marina. Sadly, wifi RF sockets seem to be an instance of the Connector conspiracy and getting the right one to connect to both the card and the aerial lead is proving difficult.

MP.

Wow! That really was a BEAUTIFULLY animated mojito!

It's made me thirsty just watching it. Mmmmmmmmmmmm... :lol: Although I like my mint leaves torn up before they're stomped into the ice so you taste them more. Mmmmmmmmmmm...

Aye BlueStringPudding . . . . and if not torn, then certainly well bruised . . . (honestly!)

You may also like to add just a couple (only 2!!) torn fresh Basil leaves .. . . . (as well as the Mint!)

Adds a certain 'je ne sais quoi'!

Aye BlueStringPudding . . . . and if not torn, then certainly well bruised . . . (honestly!)

You may also like to add just a couple (only 2!!) torn fresh Basil leaves .. . . . (as well as the Mint!)

Adds a certain 'je ne sais quoi'!

Nice idea - I love basil, I bet that's scrummy.