Wow! - Mooring cost

Amwris

Featured Posts

I'm lucky enough to have an offside linear mooring at Norbury Junction , though I haven't got my boat up to it yet. The mooring I have is a leisure mooring where I can stay a few nights per week but generally have to be gone for a couple of nights per week.

The Shelbourne Embankment moorings are residential and just past the wharf. Previously (pre tendering) they were let for 1700 per year the first tendered one went in spring for 2500+ and the next one tendered has just gone for 3500.

Wow!

cheers

phil

You have to remember that BW are a property development company. The sooner they get all the boaters off the waterways, the sooner they will be able to build more apartments to sell at ridiculous prices.

When all the boaters are driven off the water and the canals have returned to rubbish-filled stinking ditches, they will be able to fill them all in and build even more properties without having troublesome boaters bleating about the huge increase in costs.

Or perhaps one of the BW management who occasionally peruse this site might like to give us an alternative view.

I'm lucky enough to have an offside linear mooring at Norbury Junction , though I haven't got my boat up to it yet. The mooring I have is a leisure mooring where I can stay a few nights per week but generally have to be gone for a couple of nights per week.

The Shelbourne Embankment moorings are residential and just past the wharf. Previously (pre tendering) they were let for 1700 per year the first tendered one went in spring for 2500+ and the next one tendered has just gone for 3500.

Wow!

cheers

phil

Doesn't surprise me at all. Moorings can vary enormously in cost depending on what and where. Moorings have become more expensive as demand still outstrips supply in popular areas, especially for moorings 15m and longer. BW moorings seem to go for anything between £22 per metre per year to nearly £200 per metre per year depending on where and what it is. I have seen berth rates in Docklands that are around £11,000 per year. No idea what EA and other nav authorities charge. Boating is not a cheap business, boats and everything that goes with them equates to a big money pit and it will continue to be so, if not worse and all of us addicts keep spending more to get our fix. Now, if land prices in popular places were cheaper it would be easier to build more marinas and mini-basins and perhaps prices would level off. As it is, our crazy housing market and fixation with bricks and mortar is causing everyone pain. This is my personal view (before anyone asks).

D

Wow!

cheers

phil

Phil, If not being able to stay aboard every night is a problem you could always move over to the BW visitor moorings opposite for 48 hours.

Jim

As it is, our crazy housing market and fixation with bricks and mortar is causing everyone pain. This is my personal view (before anyone asks).

D

If BW used it's property portfolio for the good of the canals, instead of selling everything off to their developer cronies, there might be some decent, affordable moorings available.

The housing market isn't responsible for the mismanagement of a public asset that shouldn't be involved in the real estate game.

If BW used it's property portfolio for the good of the canals, instead of selling everything off to their developer cronies, there might be some decent, affordable moorings available.

The housing market isn't responsible for the mismanagement of a public asset that shouldn't be involved in the real estate game.

I agree. However it has given an unfortunate incentive to groups/companies/boards/money-grabbing-so-and-sos under which category(ies) BW might fall.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I agree. However it has given an unfortunate incentive to groups/companies/money-grabbing-so-and-sos under which category BW might have fallen.

BW have changed tack recently, I was present at one of those Public Consultation Meetings a couple of nights ago, a chap from the floor stated that Peel Holdings are doing a fantastic job in developing any spare land around the Bridgewater Canal, "Why aren't BW doing something similar".

Robin Evans seemed rather perturbed that anyone would think that they are not doing just that, he asked all those present to be on the look-out for any canalside land or property greater than 1/2 acre which would be suitable for commercial development and let them know about it.

Good news eh.

I agree. However it has given an unfortunate incentive to groups/companies/boards/money-grabbing-so-and-sos under which category(ies) BW might fall.

And I was only thinking how nice it would be if we could develop a nice estate of affordable housing by building an artificial canal tunnel round Rugby with ten story flats above it :lol:

With the canal replaced by a concrete tunnel on this stretch there would be less incentive for permanent moorers and dog walkers; the local council could spend a small fortune filling the tunnel with coloured lights and the flats could all be let to Polish workers and those who are about to lose their homes because they are in the negative equity loop - so everybody would be happy with the result :lol:

To would-be investors etc. ready to jump in - sorry I am only joking!

And I was only thinking how nice it would be if we could develop a nice estate of affordable housing by building an artificial canal tunnel round Rugby with ten story flats above it :lol:

With the canal replaced by a concrete tunnel on this stretch there would be less incentive for permanent moorers and dog walkers; the local council could spend a small fortune filling the tunnel with coloured lights and the flats could all be let to Polish workers and those who are about to lose their homes because they are in the negative equity loop - so everybody would be happy with the result :lol:

I thought the ugly development on Brownsover road, was the first stage of your scheme.

is 6000 a year about right for 60 foot widebeam non resident just outside london or are there better deals

BW moorings on the Lee are cheaper than that (ours is about £3000 a year), the Lee is also fine for widebeams.

BUT, they never seem to come up, due to 'musical boats'. (Go figure :lol: )

Previously (pre tendering) they were let for 1700 per year the first tendered one went in spring for 2500+ and the next one tendered has just gone for 3500.

Classic case of supply and demand? A comparable flat rental will probably be in the order of £350/month and I think the attraction of an 'official' residential mooring puts it in the same league, irrespective of the cost of the boat.

In this instance, aren't the highwaymen the bidders? If BW's guide price for the residential mooring was £1700 and some bright spark decided it was worth £3500 to them, the winning bidder inflated the value of the mooring, not BW?

Not that BW are going to mind, it may inspire them to release more locations for residential mooring if it attracts this kind of premium....

In this instance, aren't the highwaymen the bidders? If BW's guide price for the residential mooring was £1700 and some bright spark decided it was worth £3500 to them, the winning bidder inflated the value of the mooring, not BW?

Not that BW are going to mind, it may inspire them to release more locations for residential mooring if it attracts this kind of premium....

No, the person that bid £3500 has more money than sense. I wonder what the second highest bid was?

Jjr, however said he was paying £6k for a non-res mooring and didn't mention tendering.

No, the person that bid £3500 has more money than sense. I wonder what the second highest bid was?

It was £3,001. There were 14 tenders, 10 above the guide price (5 well above it) and two "joke" tenders well below it. If BW is faced with a situation where one person is prepared to pay £1700 for a mooring and another is prepared to pay £3500 its difficult to see why it should settle for the lower amount.

Being in Poland at the moment and employing 68 Poles (at home!) I will pass in case I get another warning !!

The home meaning Polish home.

Edited by bargeeboy

Phil, If not being able to stay aboard every night is a problem you could always move over to the BW visitor moorings opposite for 48 hours.

Jim

Hiya Jim

Thats true (and thanks). My original plan was to work a hard long w/e in the pub and then chill for 3 or 4 nights a week on the boat. Now the PubCo have found somebody to take over this place which I am quite happy about but it does have a knock on effect with regards to roof over head status. But on the bright side it does give me the chance to spend some time working on the boat before the winter.

cheers

Phil

is 6000 a year about right for 60 foot widebeam non resident just outside london or are there better deals

Sounds about right to me, you probably won't get a better deal at that length or width. Alternative is to wait for a suitable vacancy on BW's mooring tenders, although one nb berth at Marsworth (a long commute to London) went for £6000 per year.

Is is a private operator you've got a quote from?

D

yes the mooring is private my first boat and i think i jumped in to quick to secure the mooring it was sold as first come first served and i took it. then thought i might not get the boat for another 3 or 4 months. now im paying for a mooring and no boat. this bit of boating im not likeing. but people say at least you got a mooring. the buget is tight and i keep thinking what i could have bought with that money. paint/ fenders /vents/ cables/ toilet or cooker or flooring/ batterys/ inverter/ but never mind at least i got a mooring. now im thinking shower/ tiles/ sinks/ a bed / tv/ sky plus /hi fi /cuddly toy /the list goes on and on. never mind from now on it pma pma pma /positive/ mental /attitude /ps can i lease the mooring for two or three months maybe get some money back

If its a Bw mooring, (depending on what the moorings officer says), you should be able to sublet 'til you get your boat. We've a boater doing just that, here now. Makes sure it's agreed, official and above board though.

Edited by Lady Muck