Where to moor

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

I have just been reading about a problem someone is having with another boat using their mooring. I am very new to boating and not been anywhere very much yet, but can some one please answer me this:1. What is the benifit of mooring on the cut as compared to in a marina? and:2. How would I know when an empty mooring on the cut does beling to someone? Are they well marked and I have just not noticed. By the way my boat is in a marina and not in someone's space.

Well from a personal point of view. Moring in a marina is expensive, cramped and little privacy, but you get leccy and water. Moring on the canal would be preferable as you're not so close to your neighbour being lengthways. Moring on the canal is also cheaper but no leccy or water supply, and you could be quite a walk from a waste bin area.

Ususally there's a sign stating private mooring and your boat details, or simply rig your own sign up. Boats shouldn't use your mooring, but of course do, I just politely or not so politely move them on as required :D I've even double moored if I couldn't get a space either side.

Traditionally as a general rule, private or 'end of garden moorings' are always on the off-side of the canal.. Mooring on the towpath is free and available to everyone, so yes within reason you can stop and moor up anywhere you like, this designated mooring business is a very modern concept.

Traditionally too there was always the assumption that people would act reasonably not 'hog' the best moorings for days on end, let alone for weeks and months.. Sadly things are changing, some people think it reasonable to moor up on Sunday night on the best spot in a town or village and take a train back home for a week.

Edited by John Orentas

Every time we have been passed Acton Bridge and have decided to stop we've always used the same mooring. We've stopped there loads of times and it was only last time we went to Acton Bridge that we realised that all of this time we've been in somebody's permanent mooring as we were able to see the sign now that we've cut the grass. As long as your on-line towpath mooring is well signed I can't see a reason for anybody mooring there, especially if it's in a popular stopping over place.

The only time we have been asked to move is at Stone, above Newcastle Lock opposite the hire yard. We didn't know it was a private mooring as it wasn't labelled. The owner didn't mind as we moved straight on but I said he should maybe think about some signs to stop his spot getting hijacked. Apparently, he had tried to do this but BW wouldn't let him!

Its clear in the 'give me some money and sign my paperwork!' Mooring Contract that there is no right to a particular spot on the site. This is in case BW need to move boats around to open up spaces for other boats.

.. Sorry, for 'boats' please read 'payers'

I have just been reading about a problem someone is having with another boat using their mooring. I am very new to boating and not been anywhere very much yet, but can some one please answer me this:1. What is the benifit of mooring on the cut as compared to in a marina? and:2. How would I know when an empty mooring on the cut does beling to someone? Are they well marked and I have just not noticed. By the way my boat is in a marina and not in someone's space.

Also, if it is a BW towpath mooring site it will normally have a large black and white sign somewhere nearby (the local chav's not having decorated it or sunk it) saying something like "long term moorings" or "residential moorings" and even if there are empty places it is likely the person who pays to moor there is away boating and likely to be ambivalent / mildly upset / irate / ****ing mad when they find someone moored in their spot.

I tell you what I think could be useful ... having the "Long Term" mooring signs 'Black on White', and the Visitor Moorings 'White On Black' - make it much easier to spot LTs and VMs from a distance.