gloss/semi gloss red oxide

Featured Posts

Ok I know it sounds daft but where can I get gloss/semi gloss red oxide paint for the decks gunnels etc. I don’t think standard red oxide primer will be tough enough for these areas. Will I have to mix up my own concoction or is it available off the shelf?

Any advice gratefully received

Jay

I once worked in a place that made gates, railings etc. We got the contract to build some new gates for a local museum and the spec on the drawings stated they must be painted with red oxide primer, then top coated with colour coats of a BS paint colour, IIRC called 'Burnt Cherry'. We ordered a couple of litres of the paint specially from the local factors at great expense, compared to our usual source, and chuckled when we removed the lid to find it was just red oxide gloss, identical to the 10 gallons we had in stock..... :wub:

Haven't tried it, but I think you want what people call "Raddle Red"

Try here....

http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/products.htm

but I think other suppliers offer something similar.

We have used Craftmaster Raddle Red - about four coats straight on top of red oxide primer. The performance is First Class and it is very easy to apply - we used a moleskin roller for the first three coats. Not as cheap as some of the alternatives - but hey, the proprietor (Phil Speight) is a regular contributor on here . . .

Thanks for the advice folks. I will look into the pricing of the various suggestions and do a viability study. I’ve got loads of red oxide primer and a couple of litres of international yacht vanish so I was wondering whether you can mix them to get a semi gloss finish? As the decks and gunnels take a bit of a battering I wanted an easily “repairable” finish that looks reasonable but is functional. I guess the red oxide finish on the working boats was for this functional purpose.

Hi ,Dave Moore again.

Certainly suggest Craftmaster Raddle Red, which can be supplied in a range of colours as well as the standard Red Oxide

It has the waterproofing properties of gloss, while drying to a semi matt finish and it has good non slip properties without sanding.

Talk to Phil Speight on 01384 485554 if you need any more details.

Cheers!

that looks nice, the sort of thing I was looking at, what paint was it how does it stand up to weathering?

It stands up to the weather the same as any enamel paint, you can get a tin of matting agent from the chandlers if you want semi gloss finish

This paint came from the following link post free £29.95 for 2.5l

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Machine-Enamel-Gloss...1713.m153.l1262

self2002.jpg

Ok I know it sounds daft but where can I get gloss/semi gloss red oxide paint for the decks gunnels etc. I don’t think standard red oxide primer will be tough enough for these areas. Will I have to mix up my own concoction or is it available off the shelf?

Any advice gratefully received

Jay

We use Johnston Red Oxide Gloss on Fulbourne (on the exposed hull surfaces inside the hull)

Available from some builders merchants

Tim

Sorry, but why would anyone want gloss paint on their decks or gunwhales? Isn't that asking for trouble when it's wet?

valid point, all mine are lightly sanded to reduce the risk of slipping when wet

Charles

The gunnels and decks have been previously been sanded this will be the “finishing” top coat

I really don't like the sanded appearance. We find with the raddle that it provides sufficient grip without sanding provided you're wearing sensible shoes.