Thrupp visitor moorings

moggyjo

Featured Posts

I was up at Thrupp the other day and noticed some boats on the visitor moorings had loads of grass cuttings, all over the sides of their boats.

This happened to me years ago and it was a hell of a job getting the grass off, :wub:

I don't suppose the boat owners would have been very happy, if they had just had their boat painted.

Wonder why TCC don't use mowers that have grass boxes on them. :(

I was up at Thrupp the other day and noticed some boats on the visitor moorings had loads of grass cuttings, all over the sides of their boats.

This happened to me years ago and it was a hell of a job getting the grass off, :wub:

I don't suppose the boat owners would have been very happy, if they had just had their boat painted.

Wonder why TCC don't use mowers that have grass boxes on them. :(

It could be worse. Sometimes the strimmer finds a dogs egg and some poor beggar gets the side of their boat "textured".

This happened to me years ago and it was a hell of a job getting the grass off, :(

Wonder why TCC don't use mowers that have grass boxes on them. :)

I was in thrupp this weekend and noticed a couple of boats covered in cut grass too....we arrived and moored just after they'd been along....and it really is a right pain to get off the boat.....takes ages. :wub:

Yep, and the pebble-dashing extends to Gayton Moorings too. At the weekend the grass was looking about a foot tall in places and when they do eventually come and cut it, it'll all end up over the boats as they don't collect any of it. Mix in the odd loose stone kicked up by the blades and paintwork repairs will add to the seasonal job list.....

A couple of the more enterprising moorers bring their own mowers down and give their pitch a going over themselves, which only goes to make the rest look even more unkempt!

Yep, and the pebble-dashing extends to Gayton Moorings too. At the weekend the grass was looking about a foot tall in places and when they do eventually come and cut it, it'll all end up over the boats as they don't collect any of it. Mix in the odd loose stone kicked up by the blades and paintwork repairs will add to the seasonal job list.....

A couple of the more enterprising moorers bring their own mowers down and give their pitch a going over themselves, which only goes to make the rest look even more unkempt!

Hi Dennis i cant'believe the length of grass on our moorings at Gayton it amused me that they cut the grass in febuary/march time and made a muddy mess and now its growing they no where to be seen, i have cut my grass there because i don't want a foot of grass cuttings baked on the side of my boat in the present sun shine, you could not fix the grass cuttings to the boat better with super glue.

Deep joy. They've been.... So now the foot-high grass is everywhere and of course after the rain yesterday and today, it's sticking like s*** to a blanket. I seem to have walked half of it into the boat and that's despite taking my shoes off at the door. All we need now if for the sun to come out again and complete the super-glue effect.

Not that I'm unhappy the grass has been cut of course, but I'm almost tempted to dip in for a grass-box for the hapless mower!

Us English - are we never happy!!!!

If its not the weather its got to be something - at least your grass gets cut!

After a 13 hour hard days work in the sweat box, its a 14 hour journey home on the back of a donkey, just to cut a path through the 10ft high forrest in order to get 30 minutes sleep for it all to start again 3 hours before I have to get up!

:D

Its disgusting, the grass gets inside as well if the windows are open and its a pain to clean up.

Perhaps a licence reduction is in order for those whose boats get covered in grass.

(no doubt our friend Victor will get wound up at this latest licence 'avoidance' wheeze!)

(no doubt our friend Victor will get wound up at this latest licence 'avoidance' wheeze!)

I think, as Victor actually advocates witholding the licence fee for a variety of reasons (poor maintenance, diesel duty, even lack of enforcement???), I believe his hypocrisy and double standards will allow him to get wound up at absolutely anything.

All this grass cutting business reminds me of last summer when we were going down the Wardle arm towards Nantwich. Somewhere imbetween Wardle Lock and Cholmondeston Lock, one of these small sit on lawn mowers came flying up the bank from nowhere with a young guy sat on it... it flew past a young lady pushing a pram and shot off under the bridge.

After 10 minutes, as we came under the bridge, I noticed that he was stopped and the lawn mower wasn't half listing... in his haste he didn't see the hole in the bank and now the two tyres on the left hand side were stuck in it. He was still sat on it looking very pi*sed off!

I tried not to laugh until I had dissapeared through the next bridge 'ole.

They always wait till boats are tied up till they cut the grass.....had it happen to me a Crick the past couple of years and at Cropredy when the festival is on......mind you of course these events arent planned so they dont expect a lot of boats tied up do they...........A friend of mine thought his boat had been broken into on a BW long term mooring as a window was broken but it turned out to be BW with strimmer!!!

Gareth

Are we really to take this topic in any way seriously.. People wingeing that they have grass cuttings spoiling their boats!

I agree seems like BW can't win, do these poor people who don't like a bit of grass on there boat want BW to publish a closure programme of summer stopages so that they can cut the grass!!

I agree seems like BW can't win, do these poor people who don't like a bit of grass on there boat want BW to publish a closure programme of summer stopages so that they can cut the grass!!

There isn't a problem at all unless people leave their boats unattended for long periods.

Jane and I sweep the grass cuttings of the boat straight after it has been cut - that way they don't become baked on. Whenever we can, we also cut the grass near our boat with clippers so that when BW's contractors come along, there is very little 'fall-out'.

We have also found the grass and hedge cutting contractors on the Oxford Canal to be extremely conscientious - for example, when they cut the hedges, they always take care to remove any stray hedge cuttings from our boat.

Are we really to take this topic in any way seriously.. People wingeing that they have grass cuttings spoiling their boats!

Tbh, i would have to agree.

- We got 'done' twice last year i think, certainly i does happen, but its not the end of the world really.

The main places to get mown at 24/48/visitor moorings, so your unlike not to be on the boat, or about to come back to it.

- If windows are open a bit (ours usally are) some can get in, partiurly with strimmers, but even thats not the end of the world.

Life. Is too short!!

Daniel

After a 13 hour hard days work in the sweat box, its a 14 hour journey home on the back of a donkey, just to cut a path through the 10ft high forrest in order to get 30 minutes sleep for it all to start again 3 hours before I have to get up!

:D

Resists urge to complete "3 hours sleep - you're lucky........." :(

Mind you, tell that to kids these days, and they just don't believe you!! :D:cheers::D

B)

Nothing to do with BW, Its Thrupp CC and surely with all the money they have they could afford a mower with a grass box on it.

We have also found the grass and hedge cutting contractors on the Oxford Canal to be extremely conscientious - for example, when they cut the hedges, they always take care to remove any stray hedge cuttings from our boat.

Your lucky up your end of the oxford. They don't actually do any hedge cutting on our part of the moorings as we have our own gardens and do all our own maintenance but further up the moorings and the rest of the tow path, they leave thawns etc all over the path, not nice for dog walkers and cyclists.

When BWB used to have more staff on line they were brilliant and would clear all cuttings into little piles and burn them.

Off topic I know, but is it you I saw at Welford last week?

Hi Mukiwa.

No, not me, but my ex boat 'Squeers' may be doing a sort of 'Grand Tour' this summer, the chap who bought it is a GP and has managed to negotiate a sabbatical for himself.

If anyone meets up with him, please say hello he's a nice friendly bloke, many people on the forum must know as much about the boat as I do.