how ruuude!!

jojoknitter

Featured Posts

hello all....just thought i would share this with you....

this weekend we took the boat out for a little cruise - lovely. We were coming out of the lock at Kidlington - very busy of course, lots of boats about this weekend. So we are happily merrily boating along when another boat comes thundering along towards us.

We did the honourable thing, slowing down making room to pass etc....all the time thinking ' oh, they'll slow down in a sec...anytime .......'

BUT NO! this delightful pair (who both had expressions similar to a dead pike I saw floating earlier),did not slow down - this part of the canal is narrow anyway with all the boats moored- They were going so quickly that they forced us into the bank into a tree - that we realised later left a thick scratch the whole lengthy of our boat. :( How RUUUDDEE!!!

So I shouted 'uh HELLO!!!' but they were off ...and we watched them try to jump the queue at the lock.

Lovley folk EH? :wub:

hello all....just thought i would share this with you....

this weekend we took the boat out for a little cruise - lovely. We were coming out of the lock at Kidlington - very busy of course, lots of boats about this weekend. So we are happily merrily boating along when another boat comes thundering along towards us.

We did the honourable thing, slowing down making room to pass etc....all the time thinking ' oh, they'll slow down in a sec...anytime .......'

BUT NO! this delightful pair (who both had expressions similar to a dead pike I saw floating earlier),did not slow down - this part of the canal is narrow anyway with all the boats moored- They were going so quickly that they forced us into the bank into a tree - that we realised later left a thick scratch the whole lengthy of our boat. :( How RUUUDDEE!!!

So I shouted 'uh HELLO!!!' but they were off ...and we watched them try to jump the queue at the lock.

Possibly they had just spent a couple of hours on the M40 in their BMW and the change to canal speeds and manners had not yet kicked in :)

Fortunately for us all, this sort of behaviousr is still quite rare . . .

...and we watched them try to jump the queue at the lock.

I see this sort of thing occasionally. It seems to be something to do with the "boating hierarchy" we keep poking fun at. Some people just see hire boats and say to themselves "We are more important, we don't have to que".

Queue jumping, oops!

Once on the Oxford I had got so used to passing moored boats that on the approach to a lock (it was still 1/2 a mile away) I started passing moored boats, i'd passed about 10 before somebody pointed out that the lock had broken and I was queue jumping, it was very windy that day and I had to reverse all the way back under the eyes of many, no pressure eh!

As for speeding past moored boats, don't get me started :wub:

Paul

BUT NO! this delightful pair (who both had expressions similar to a dead pike I saw floating earlier),did not slow down - this part of the canal is narrow anyway with all the boats moored- They were going so quickly that they forced us into the bank into a tree - that we realised later left a thick scratch the whole lengthy of our boat. :wub: How RUUUDDEE!!!

The thing to do with these sort of people is to pass them as closely as possible (like the working boats did), this means you are less likely to run aground on the shallows or hit trees. It might even frighten them, and slow their speed a little. :(

Mike

The thing to do with these sort of people is to pass them as closely as possible (like the working boats did), this means you are less likely to run aground on the shallows or hit trees. It might even frighten them, and slow their speed a little. :(

Mike

It works for us, just right of middle - tupperware just isn't as reliable these days, they soon move over. Its like playing chicken on the river in slow motion!!! :wub:

Playing 'chicken' only works when there are experienced crews on both boats - if the boat coming the other way is being steered by a novice you could end up with a real mess. We struggle with depth of water on some canals and where we are likely to go aground we slow right down almost to a stand, so that we can wave the oncoming boat past. We then wait until it is safe to proceed - the result is less embarrassment and fewer broken cups! :wub:

Playing 'chicken' only works when there are experienced crews on both boats - if the boat coming the other way is being steered by a novice you could end up with a real mess. We struggle with depth of water on some canals and where we are likely to go aground we slow right down almost to a stand, so that we can wave the oncoming boat past. We then wait until it is safe to proceed - the result is less embarrassment and fewer broken cups! :wub:

Trouble is you also don't know if oncoming boat has a sober crew !!!!, mind you neither do they.

Possibly they had just spent a couple of hours on the M40 in their BMW and the change to canal speeds and manners had not yet kicked in :wub:

Fortunately for us all, this sort of behaviousr is still quite rare . . .

Nothing wrong with driving on the M40 in your BMW going on your boat holidays!!!.

I have no choice!, apart from changing the car ;-)

Queue jumping, oops!

Once on the Oxford I had got so used to passing moored boats that on the approach to a lock (it was still 1/2 a mile away) I started passing moored boats, i'd passed about 10 before somebody pointed out that the lock had broken and I was queue jumping, it was very windy that day and I had to reverse all the way back under the eyes of many, no pressure eh!

As for speeding past moored boats, don't get me started :(

Paul

yup..I regularly yell out the window at 'speeding' boats. They usually go past at a cruicial moment - like when you are just pouring out a lovely cup of very hot tea.....

I dont think most really realise how fast they are going or that there really are people living on the boats next to them...they often look so surprised as I politely poke my head out of the window and yell at them to slow down....stag do's are they main culprets...but hey they are having fun. :wub:

When we meet ignorance such as this on the cut (or anywhere for that matter) we try to be the "bigger person" and get out of the way/let them go whatever. Last year on the Bridgewater we were pootling along at a moderate speed, when a horn blew behind me and I nearly sh*t myself. On looking behind a maroon and black narrowboat with a posh wheelhouse was right up my backside, huge bowave everywhere, and the steerer was making gestures that I was in his way. My first thoughts were the one finger salute, but I moved over and let him speed past. So stupid was the man, that he was tying up at the pub just through the next bridge and we caught him up. I didn't say anything, but he couldn't look at me. Ignorance is just that, whether on a boat or otherwise.

When we meet ignorance such as this on the cut (or anywhere for that matter) we try to be the "bigger person" and get out of the way/let them go whatever. Last year on the Bridgewater we were pootling along at a moderate speed, when a horn blew behind me and I nearly sh*t myself. On looking behind a maroon and black narrowboat with a posh wheelhouse was right up my backside, huge bowave everywhere, and the steerer was making gestures that I was in his way. My first thoughts were the one finger salute, but I moved over and let him speed past. So stupid was the man, that he was tying up at the pub just through the next bridge and we caught him up. I didn't say anything, but he couldn't look at me. Ignorance is just that, whether on a boat or otherwise.

lol...it dont arf make you jump when your in a world of your own and some bugger blasts their horn.

I agree, let em pass and wave tara as they plough their way into the distance......its the same with car drivers who are all over your tail, then over take and suddenly slow down to take the next turning!

Think if i ever have the brass to build my own boat im gonna go for something like a TRIREME......Ramming speed (in a Jack Hawkins voice)

lol...it dont arf make you jump when your in a world of your own and some bugger blasts their horn.

My favourite was when sailing a boat with a nice long bowsprit on the Norfolk Broads, I sailed up behind someone on his plastic motorboat and tapped him gently on the shoulder with the end of the bowsprit. Boy did he jump!

My favourite was when sailing a boat with a nice long bowsprit on the Norfolk Broads, I sailed up behind someone on his plastic motorboat and tapped him gently on the shoulder with the end of the bowsprit. Boy did he jump!

pmsl....i can just picture it

Dunno about being the bigger person but I could've belted some git at BoA town lock yesterday with Ellen's windlass quite cheerfully .....

We were lining up to go into the lock towards Avoncliffe when one of the departing boats (boat A) said they were turning, would we wait and share to go down? No problem, we're always pleased to share. So we waited, and waited, as painfully they turned at the wharf. Had to talk really nicely to the new hirer (on Boat B ) at the lock who wanted me to back out and let her empty the lock to allow her husband to come up "'cos it's our turn and we were here before you". He keep phoning to tell her to tell me to get out of 'their' lock. I smiled sweetly and explained about water use and tradition and eventually the boat A squeezed in. Bloke steering, woman sunning herself in the front. Neither leapt off the boat to help Ellen with the lock so Ellen dutifully explained how to operate the lock to the newbie and they did both paddles (although not before the steerer on boat A asked me how long Ellen was going to take about it...).

As Ellen opened the gate our side (the newbie had a bad back and couldn't push the other gate), I realised that the only place available to pick Ellen up without a paddle in the cut was a small space between a GRP and the restaurant boat. I said to the other steerer that I needed to swing in and out to pick her up and slipped out of the lock as Ellen struggled with their gate.

On the other side of the bridge I swung in to pick her up but instead of waiting for her to board carefully as we were at an angle to the cut, boat A charged out, failed to steer round the corner and walloped my bow hard enough as Ellen stepped aboard that I was lucky to catch her windlass and haul her on. At least we got a round of applause from the drinkers at the Lock Inn ......

Not sure why I'm so cross about this quite apart from the total lack of manners or thanks, control of engine or general view to safe behaviour, but in final act of totally-beggars-belief, the bloke on the hire vessel (boat B ) shouted that he was fed up with waiting and women should make sure that they could operate locks before they got on a boat. I believe Ellen have been quite direct about him lounging on a boat when his wife was struggling with a lock with a bad back!

We didn't see the other boat again - at the speed they were going at they should be in Ireland by now ......

Wriggly

PS Gatsos on boats - I like that! :wub:

Edited for reasons of taste and style!

Edited by wrigglefingers

Bloke steering, woman sunning herself in the front. Neither leapt off the boat to help Ellen with the lock so Ellen dutifully explained how to operate the lock to the newbie and they did both paddles (although not before the steerer on boat A asked me how long Ellen was going to take about it...).

As Ellen opened the gate our side (the newbie had a bad back and couldn't push the other gate),

I think at that point is was probably clear that you should have departed through the single gate with Ellen on board, sod boat A. With a bit of luck boat B could have got in the lock before boat A realised what was happening too.

simon.

I remember one occasion, coming out of Limehouse heading up the river. The sun was out and the sky was blue and we were pretty much on our own.

To be fair, I was having a bit of a day dream and going right up the middle. All of a sudden, the loudest god foresaken horn sounded from behind. I lept up in to the air and turned round. About 20 feet behind me and about 20 feet above me was the bow fender of the biggest mother of a tug. Two members of the crew looking down on me pi##ing themselves laughing.

I headed for the bank as they throttled up and sped past, the skipper was seen laughing in the wheel house and gave me the thumbs up. I don't think I was their first victim!

Edited by I want a 'proper job'

BUT NO! this delightful pair (who both had expressions similar to a dead pike I saw floating earlier),did not slow down - this part of the canal is narrow anyway with all the boats moored- They were going so quickly that they forced us into the bank into a tree - that we realised later left a thick scratch the whole lengthy of our boat. How RUUUDDEE!!!

Lovley folk EH?

Give em 'The Bird' :D

Dunno about being the bigger person but I could've belted some git at BoA town lock yesterday with Ellen's windlass quite cheerfully .....

We were lining up to go into the lock towards Avoncliffe when one of the departing boats (boat A) said they were turning, would we wait and share to go down? No problem, we're always pleased to share. So we waited, and waited, as painfully they turned at the wharf. Had to talk really nicely to the new hirer (on Boat B ) at the lock who wanted me to back out and let her empty the lock to allow her husband to come up "'cos it's our turn and we were here before you". He keep phoning to tell her to tell me to get out of 'their' lock. I smiled sweetly and explained about water use and tradition and eventually the boat A squeezed in. Bloke steering, woman sunning herself in the front. Neither leapt off the boat to help Ellen with the lock so Ellen dutifully explained how to operate the lock to the newbie and they did both paddles (although not before the steerer on boat A asked me how long Ellen was going to take about it...).

As Ellen opened the gate our side (the newbie had a bad back and couldn't push the other gate), I realised that the only place available to pick Ellen up without a paddle in the cut was a small space between a GRP and the restaurant boat. I said to the other steerer that I needed to swing in and out to pick her up and slipped out of the lock as Ellen struggled with their gate.

On the other side of the bridge I swung in to pick her up but instead of waiting for her to board carefully as we were at an angle to the cut, boat A charged out, failed to steer round the corner and walloped my bow hard enough as Ellen stepped aboard that I was lucky to catch her windlass and haul her on. At least we got a round of applause from the drinkers at the Lock Inn ......

Not sure why I'm so cross about this quite apart from the total lack of manners or thanks, control of engine or general view to safe behaviour, but in final act of totally-beggars-belief, the bloke on the hire vessel (boat B ) shouted that he was fed up with waiting and women should make sure that they could operate locks before they got on a boat. I believe Ellen have been quite direct about him lounging on a boat when his wife was struggling with a lock with a bad back!

We didn't see the other boat again - at the speed they were going at they should be in Ireland by now ......

Wriggly

PS Gatsos on boats - I like that! :D

Edited for reasons of taste and style!

Enough of this "Boat A" and "Boat B" stuff - name and shame! Can't there be a list of offenders? We are out on the K&A for the Bank Holiday and the kids would just LOVE to play I SPY......

Jo