sunken boat

fil

Featured Posts

Terribly witty but he did mention salvage rights, in the title.

Welcome fil. The salvage laws at sea don't apply on the canals. If you are interested in rescuing a sunken boat, contact BW who may tell you its status or forward a letter to the owner.

You seen one you fancy and thinking of sinking it? :lol:

ive always thought people jugde by there own yard stick your username then suites

Terribly witty but he did mention salvage rights, in the title.

Welcome fil. The salvage laws at sea don't apply on the canals. If you are interested in rescuing a sunken boat, contact BW who may tell you its status or forward a letter to the owner.

thankyou someone is still helpful because need slower pace of lifestlye never been money minded so have little but have to start somewhere sea is end goal but think that needs 2 b taken 1 step at time yes ive seen one well its roof is all to see fil thanks

It depends where the sunken boat lays.

why if lukes x-wing it were be not infront of keyboard i would (no seriously why master)

ive always thought people jugde by there own yard stick your username then suites

thankyou someone is still helpful because need slower pace of lifestlye never been money minded so have little but have to start somewhere sea is end goal but think that needs 2 b taken 1 step at time yes ive seen one well its roof is all to see fil thanks

why if lukes x-wing it were be not infront of keyboard i would (no seriously why master)

Think you'll find that should be judge and suits. No charge advice is free

Edited by Maverick

I really do try to avoid criticizing the grammar/spelling of others - and have chided people for doing so in these forums - but....... are you communicating with us in English? If so, I have struggled quite hard to read anything you have written. Many people here would like to help, but if we have to spend considerable amounts of time translating your weird drivel into something that approximates to English, then the desire to be helpful quickly melts away.

So.....have a look around the lower right-hand side of your keyboard, where you will find a nice collection of dots, lines and dashes (we call them punctuation, but don't let the technical aspects get you down) and try to sprinkle them into your sentences. At this stage, it doesn't seem to matter exactly where you might put them, just put them somewhere. The point of (even vaguely) correct grammar and spelling is that it enables writing to be used to communicate with others, whereas your writing would appear to be simply a random collection of letters, perhaps as if your cat had typed it out for you.

:lol:

Ouch:._ :lol:

I know. I feel bad about posting it....and not just because I have had a go at people before for being pedantic about spelling! There are many people who, for genuine reasons, cannot write well in English. But this was just so appalling and the use of certain words suggests that he or she is perfectly able to write properly.

I know. I feel bad about posting it....and not just because I have had a go at people before for being pedantic about spelling! There are many people who, for genuine reasons, cannot write well in English. But this was just so appalling and the use of certain words suggests that he or she is perfectly able to write properly.

Maybe you could decifer this for us then.... Clicky!!! :lol:

Slower pace of life, fine, but what worries me is you say that you a not money minded. Boating unfortunately is not the cheap option everyone thinks it is. I've seen far to many people get into big money or other trouble because they really didn't understand what they were getting into in the first place. I want to be helpful, but please be aware that the cut is not the place to be if you are struggling with work, money, and other stuff because it generally doesn't get better, it gets worse and there are too many people leaving the cut in boxes, to prison or find themselves homeless without any immediate prospect of being rehoused.

Don't jump until you are certain you can manage. There are a lot of people on this list and on the cut who will provide helpful advice and will be supportive. Moving on BW managed water whilst on benefits is problematic and definitely not recommended. Hope this has been constructive. PM if necessary.

D

Excellently put Debbi.

I'm glad the point has been made.

Owning a canal boat of just about any description will often end up costing people a great deal more than they think, even if they think they have done their homework very thoroughly first.

Those who have not done a lot of research first often get a real shock, and regularly find they have taken on something they can't cope with.

Unless either living in very rudimentary conditions, or flouting the regulations about licencing, safety certificates and insurance, few people find that living on a boat costs less than on land.

Even things like heating are likely to cost you more, and clearly generating your own electicity by most methods costs more than buying it off the national grid.

It is also undoubtedly true that the cost of boat ownership is rising much faster than either inflation or most peoples wages.

I don't wish to be totally negative, but your reasons for boat living need to be more than you hope it will not cost a lot. It will, unfortunately,

Alan

It is also undoubtedly true that the cost of boat ownership is rising much faster than either inflation or most peoples wages.

I don't disagree with you, but wonder if anyone has real evidence (like for like costs) going back a few years on the 'cost of boating'. I'd be interested to know just how much it is going up.

For us having a boat already bought and paid for the cost of living will be a lot cheaper, especially as we plan to CC However if we were embarking on the same escapade todey we would really have to think twice especially if buying a boat on a mortgage or loan. If you have to work to pay this off in reality you need moorings, these will get more expensive as demand outstrips supply. Thier currently at a rate equivellant to renting an average 1 bed flat. Also the cost of fuel is about to rise dramatically, ok you might be able to claim some back, but it's still going to be more expensive overall. Starting from this position will certianly cost about the same, but more likely more expensive depending on the level of debt repayment. Still IMO the freedom of owning a boat on the canal system is worth a higher cost, especially the way this counrty is going.

I don't disagree with you, but wonder if anyone has real evidence (like for like costs) going back a few years on the 'cost of boating'. I'd be interested to know just how much it is going up.

Not hard records, I'll admit.

But when a licence renewal comes through, or the annual price hike occurs for moorings, it's not hard to see whether it's at a more than inflation or less than inflation rate of increase.

Other thins you can't help noticing.

5 litre can of "Lister/Petter" egine oil. One on boat bought about 18 months ago £14-25. Same product, same outlet the other day £18-75.

Price of either a basic domestic or starter battery approx 3 years ago £55, (labels still on them!). Same type of batteries, same outlet now £85.

Yes, I know I can buy cheaper elsewhere, but just an indication of levels on increase.

A Calor Gas cylinder ran out the other day - I'm guessing swapping that will cost me a lot more than last time too, if LPG prices are mirroring those of petrol & diesel.

(Before I slag off prices at my chandlery any further, I was genuine surprised to but a fuel filer element for £3, and one for oil for £3-75.)

Alan

Not hard records, I'll admit.

It's a pity that WW or one of the other mags doesn't run a Cost of Boating Index. Based on a basket of boatong related items. It would be valuable to see how much the different elements cost.

Well, looking at my old copies of Waterways World, I'd say that in terms of comparison to average income, boats are cheaper now than they've ever been; ditto licencing, and possibly mooring fees. Can't speak for insurance but that's pretty cheap these days. Of course none of that counts for anything if you don't have an earned income... benefits haven't kept pace with inflation and are a lot harder to get than they used to be. There are more relatively cheap boats available today then there were thirty years ago (because there are far more older boats now).

Well, looking at my old copies of Waterways World, I'd say that in terms of comparison to average income, boats are cheaper now than they've ever been; ditto licencing, and possibly mooring fees. Can't speak for insurance but that's pretty cheap these days. Of course none of that counts for anything if you don't have an earned income... benefits haven't kept pace with inflation and are a lot harder to get than they used to be. There are more relatively cheap boats available today then there were thirty years ago (because there are far more older boats now).

Below is the annual inflation rate going back to 1970, which is based on the CPI. I have it going back to the middle of the 13th Century but as only a few people on this forum have boats that old, it's probably not worth providing it all.

The third column is the inflation rate expressed as an index, and can be used to convert any two years.

1970 6.37% 45.35

1971 9.40% 49.62

1972 7.13% 53.15

1973 9.22% 58.05

1974 16.02% 67.35

1975 24.18% 83.64

1976 16.50% 97.44

1977 15.88% 112.92

1978 8.30% 122.29

1979 13.41% 138.69

1980 17.97% 163.61

1981 11.86% 183.01

1982 8.59% 198.73

1983 4.63% 207.93

1984 4.95% 218.23

1985 6.09% 231.52

1986 3.40% 239.39

1987 4.16% 249.35

1988 4.91% 261.59

1989 7.76% 281.89

1990 9.46% 308.56

1991 5.87% 326.67

1992 3.75% 338.92

1993 1.59% 344.31

1994 2.42% 352.64

1995 3.47% 364.88

1996 2.41% 373.67

1997 3.14% 385.40

1998 3.43% 398.62

1999 1.53% 404.72

2000 2.96% 416.70

2001 1.76% 424.03

2002 1.67% 431.12

2003 2.89% 443.58

2004 2.98% 456.79

2005 2.84% 469.77

2006 3.17% 484.66

2007 4.29% 505.45

For example, my crusty WW of January 1984 tells me that I can take a Hoseasons holiday for as little as 24 pound per person.

That sum is the same as 55.59 in today's money (505.45/218.23*24.00). So can I get a Hoseason's holiday today for less than 55.59 per head. Haven't time to look through the Hoseason's brochures but reckon that there is probably not much in it.

One boatyard in west London was offering hard-standing for boats at 20p per foot plus VAT. That would be 46 pence per foot plus VAT now.

FMC Holland was on sale for 15000 plus VAT, which would be 34,722 using the inflation indicator. That seems cheaper than you might expect.

A top of the range, two year old David Piper 60ft boat was on sale in early 1984 at 30,000. That's 69,500 today. Again seems less than you might expect.

And, from the Whilton Marine advert, it is clear that GRP boats are a lot cheaper now than they were then!

In the early 1980s, of course, companies were willing to print prices in a monthly magazine, but not any more, so it's difficult comparing prices. Also, everything is sold metric now and in a multitude of options. In 1984, you bought a 36ft x 24ft boat cover. Period. Now, you need to specifiy 500 different options.

An Ordnance Survey map then? 2.45 which is the same as 5.67; in fact they are 6.49 so have exceeded inflation.

However, using these kinds of tables requires a lot of caution because of the circular nature of it all. For example, a friend bought his house for 3000 in 1971, so it should be worth 30,561 by now. In fact, it's worth a tad more. A shedload of tads, in fact.

So no conclusive answers....but interesting to look at whether prices really have increased more than 'consumer' price inflation!

To make a meaningful comparison you really need to look at it relative to income levels rather than the retail price index. I don't have the figures but am relying on older spouse who remembers what he earned in the seventies...

To make a meaningful comparison you really need to look at it relative to income levels rather than the retail price index. I don't have the figures but am relying on older spouse who remembers what he earned in the seventies...

Using average wages from a historical date makes it quite difficult to make meaningful comparisons, because you need to remember what "X,000 quid" felt like and what it bought. Hence the rationale for bringing old prices into today's language instead.

You can use the PPP Index, but again the same problem as using the CPI. Also levels of taxation have changed substantially since then. The Treasury has various indices, including average incomes.