candy washing machine

fab

Featured Posts

I ve just bought an old Candy washing machine, an Aquamatic 8, its a small one with about a 3 or 3.5 kg wash. It has both cold and hot water inlets. Unfortunately it didnt come (from ebay) with instructions. How does it decide whether to take hot or cold water, or are there set programs which use one or the other. THe program chart doesnt say. Perhaps the machine doesnt even heat its own water? I'd be grateful if anybody out there who has one of these machines could tell me, because now the boat's finished Ive decided not simply to throw away my dirty clothes...

I ve just bought an old Candy washing machine, an Aquamatic 8, its a small one with about a 3 or 3.5 kg wash. It has both cold and hot water inlets. Unfortunately it didnt come (from ebay) with instructions. How does it decide whether to take hot or cold water, or are there set programs which use one or the other. THe program chart doesnt say. Perhaps the machine doesnt even heat its own water? I'd be grateful if anybody out there who has one of these machines could tell me, because now the boat's finished Ive decided not simply to throw away my dirty clothes...

Generally, a washing machine with hot and cold fills will take a fixed percentage of both depending on the wash temperature selected. It will then heat the water to the required temperature. If a cold rinse cycle it will only intake cold water. If you are heating your water "free" by using waste heat from the engine, then this type of machine will cost less to run by not consuming mains power to heat all of the water from cold to the correct temperature.

does this help?

Generally, a washing machine with hot and cold fills will take a fixed percentage of both depending on the wash temperature selected. It will then heat the water to the required temperature. If a cold rinse cycle it will only intake cold water. If you are heating your water "free" by using waste heat from the engine, then this type of machine will cost less to run by not consuming mains power to heat all of the water from cold to the correct temperature.

does this help?

It does help,yes. Thankyou.

if you google long enough you will find a website that allows you to download instructions for any Candy model.

I also bought a used Candy from a dealer on e-Bay "belonged to a little old lady - never raced or rallied, honest guv" that appeared to be unused. cost 170 squid.

Edited by chris polley

does this help?

Would this also apply to cold water only intake machines that are fed with warm water from the calorifier/engine?

Would this also apply to cold water only intake machines that are fed with warm water from the calorifier/engine?

One would assume so, in that the thermostat would switch off at the required temperature, ie sooner if heating already warm water.

All these men discussing washine machines, eh?

Our home machine is a Hotpoint, it has hot and cold feeds but it always takes all its water from the cold feed and heats it electrically except when it is set to do the very hottest "whites" wash at 90 deg C. I queried this with Hotpoint and they said that they assume the domestic hot water will be at 80 deg, so they don't use it for any of the other washes in case the cold water supply should fail.

Don't know what the Candy does though.

How do you stop the candy going sticky and dissolving?

It is a sweet little machine, and now working well; at 18 quid a sugary coating seems ok....as long as you dont chew.

Incidentally, this machine seems to take hot water with lower temperature washes too.

Thanks for all the advice, and the sweet talk.

I've just bought one of the candy machines for my new build, it states it needs 1300w but apparently my 1600 inverter won't work it - anyone know what wattage generator I'll need to power it instead - I'd assumed a 2k would be enough but not sure now

It depends on the generator. A 2kw Honda (EU20i) is rated at 1600w continuous so it should easily run the Candy.

What inverter are you using? It could be that the AC sine wave isn't clean enough, or perhaps your battery bank isn't big enough or sufficiently charged?

Edited by blackrose

Careful with the Candy on gennies. Ours runs fine off the inverter (3kw pure sine) but not at all well off the frame genny. The speed control goes berzerk. I would imagine a quality genny like a Honda would be fine.

Careful with the Candy on gennies. Ours runs fine off the inverter (3kw pure sine) but not at all well off the frame genny. The speed control goes berzerk. I would imagine a quality genny like a Honda would be fine.

That's helpful :smiley_offtopic: - I'm now planning on buying a pure sine wave 2k suitcase gennie, what spec is your frame genny Dylan, do you think I'd need to go up to a 3k with the accompanying increasing cost and weight? I think I should have stuck with the laundrette! :rolleyes:

My inverter is a victron 1600, apparently even though the candy is rated at 1300 the digital gizmos are really sensitive and need a higher wattage according to midland chandlers who i bought them both from - go figure

Edited by abbeyriver

That's helpful :smiley_offtopic: - I'm now planning on buying a pure sine wave 2k suitcase gennie, what spec is your frame genny Dylan, do you think I'd need to go up to a 3k with the accompanying increasing cost and weight? I think I should have stuck with the laundrette! :rolleyes:

My inverter is a victron 1600, apparently even though the candy is rated at 1300 the digital gizmos are really sensitive and need a higher wattage according to midland chandlers who i bought them both from - go figure

Our frame genny is a 2KvA unit. We find this is ample power to run the Candy, but not clean enough.

Funnily enough today I ran my Candy T1000 straight off the invertor (Victron 1600) with the engine running. I did this as a test should I decide to use the machine when out cruising. I only used the quick wash function with the water heater set at 20 degrees - the invertor chattered a little but the cycle complted without any trouble. I would imagine this used no more than 1kw, though as Chris W will tell you its not the invertor that is the problem its the batteries and the extent to which you run them down to below 50%. If you only have a 1600 watt invertor, then do not use it on any other cycle than the quick or cold wash if not on shore power..

Probably a bit late, although We run A cold fill only washing machine, Top loading Hotpoint, from a Y connector to both HOT and COLD water supply, If washing whites turn on just hot, or most of the time just leave both on. This way you can set the washing mchine on lowest temp and still get a warm wash withoute tripping the generator with the the charger on.

I suppose a themostatic valve such as the ones used hospitals (lots in Screwfix) to limit the output temp coud be used if water temp varies alot and dont want to overcook the clothes?