water pump noises!

jojoknitter

Featured Posts

Hi everyone...

My water pump is making weird noises. When I use the taps in the bathroom the water flow is spluttery - and the hot water tank is 'bubbing' and the other day I noticed that there was a noise like a heavy 'trickle' of water in the hot water tank area... never heard that noise before.

The shower gave up on me (mid shampoo I might add... B) ) last night and since then the pump and hot water tank are making noises. I have turned the water pump off on the main panel thing as it is the only way to make it be quiet.

After using the taps the pump keeps purring for ages - it doesnt stop until I turn off the main pump switch. But it only seems to be the supply to the bathroom, which is furthest from the main water tank.

I recently had to clear the pipe from the tank to the kitchen taps by blowing down it to dislodge a bit of grit or something and that was quite simple to do - I am wondering if something has got stuck in the pipe leading to the bathroom? If so how do I dislodge it? The pipes run the length of the boat under the bed etc - not so easy!!

My water tank is half full at the moment, but it sounds as though there is air in the pipes...and I have never heard the hot water tank make a noise beofre as if its struggling to work.

Any ideas? B) I am too nervous to turn it all on again - will it all go bang??!

Hi everyone...

My water pump is making weird noises. When I use the taps in the bathroom the water flow is spluttery - and the hot water tank is 'bubbing' and the other day I noticed that there was a noise like a heavy 'trickle' of water in the hot water tank area... never heard that noise before.

The shower gave up on me (mid shampoo I might add... B) ) last night and since then the pump and hot water tank are making noises. I have turned the water pump off on the main panel thing as it is the only way to make it be quiet.

After using the taps the pump keeps purring for ages - it doesnt stop until I turn off the main pump switch. But it only seems to be the supply to the bathroom, which is furthest from the main water tank.

I recently had to clear the pipe from the tank to the kitchen taps by blowing down it to dislodge a bit of grit or something and that was quite simple to do - I am wondering if something has got stuck in the pipe leading to the bathroom? If so how do I dislodge it? The pipes run the length of the boat under the bed etc - not so easy!!

My water tank is half full at the moment, but it sounds as though there is air in the pipes...and I have never heard the hot water tank make a noise beofre as if its struggling to work.

If the pump keeps on running when all the taps are closed, it sounds like a leak somewhere

Can you check the aft part of the cabin bilge (under the floor at the back of the boat)?

cheers,

Pete.

Hi everyone...

the pump is sucking a mix of water and air

After using the taps the pump keeps purring for ages - it doesnt stop until I turn off the main pump switch.

now that sounds like the pump can't suck up any water at all, is the water tank empty?

But it only seems to be the supply to the bathroom, which is furthest from the main water tank.

It could be the run of the pipes tends to send the air bubbles to the bathroom

What does the pump sound like when it is splurting, it it a hard knocking (sucking against a blockage) or soft whirring (sucking air instead of water)

Try checking the tank outlet connection for air leaks - sometimes it is only evident when the tank level drops.

How old is the tank, could the pickup pipe have broken or rusted through half way up?

Simon (had air bubbles until the pump diaphram split due to chalk blockage at the tank stop cock)

What sort of pipe runs from the tank to the pump?

The bright spark that plumbed Sara used flexible hose, which sometimes flattens itself under the suction from the pump giving 'empty tank' symptoms when there's still water in there.

Soon to be replaced.........

John

MV Sara.

Edited by barge sara

the pump is sucking a mix of water and air

now that sounds like the pump can't suck up any water at all, is the water tank empty?

It could be the run of the pipes tends to send the air bubbles to the bathroom

What does the pump sound like when it is splurting, it it a hard knocking (sucking against a blockage) or soft whirring (sucking air instead of water)

I am at work at the mo - but the pump noise is a whirring noise, and I only filled the tank on thursday pm....stupid question but where is the the outlet connection? I rent the boat - its a refurb so I have no idea how old the tank is - I dont think the owner refurbed the tank though?

Try checking the tank outlet connection for air leaks - sometimes it is only evident when the tank level drops.

How old is the tank, could the pickup pipe have broken or rusted through half way up?

Simon (had air bubbles until the pump diaphram split due to chalk blockage at the tank stop cock)

Sorry - dont know what this page is doing sorry if a am repeting quotes etc....

The pump makes a whirring noise, I filled the tank on Thurs pm . It is a refurbed boat that I rent - no idea how old the tank is....

How do I check the tank outlet?? ( sorry dafty question - am new!!) where is it?

Cant check stuff now am at work but can look when I get home. Is it possible that a short programme in the washing machine and a couple of sahowers could empty the tank??!! Never happened before! Thanks!!

The pump makes a whirring noise, I filled the tank on Thurs pm . It is a refurbed boat that I rent - no idea how old the tank is....

How do I check the tank outlet?? ( sorry dafty question - am new!!) where is it?

Cant check stuff now am at work but can look when I get home. Is it possible that a short programme in the washing machine and a couple of sahowers could empty the tank??!! Never happened before! Thanks!!

There could be a leak - can you check the bilges?

OK,

start with the simple first, top up the water tank and see if it's still happening, if so then complain to your landlord B)

guessing the tank is most likely under the front deck, and should have an accessible stop valve where the pipe comes out just inside the cabin. possibly hidden under a floor hatch, under a step, back of a cupboard etc.

If the water pump is at the front too, it could be right next to it.

moving on to the more complicated, find an old towel as things might get wet, unscrew the pump inlet pipe - is there water? if not, can you blow air back into the tank through it? (there could be resistance -blockage- and then you blow bubbles in the tank as it moves -then you might find you are holding an open pipe with water flowing from the tank at you getting wet :wub:

It would be a good thing to reconnect it to the pump at that point. B)

If you just blow air, you need to fill the water tank.

If you can't blow anything (stop sniggering bones) there is a blockage and you either need a bigger set of lungs, or to start taking any fittings apart to try and find it.

Good luck

Simon,.

Edited by bristol & argo

Hi,

Sounds to me as if you have an inline filter somewhere betwwen the tank out let and the pump. I had this will cause intermittent problems. Find the filter and clear it. If you take it apart re-fit everything carefully and don't retighten screws etc overmuch or cracks will develop and leak - I had 80 galls of water on the bilges as result of a split.

Some of these filters are not overdesigned and the plastic they are made from becomes brittle .The filter body incorporates a fine mesh filter which blocks after a period of time.

Blockage normally caused by 'crud' build up in the bottom of the tank which can swish about as the boat moves. I found it normally happens after the winter drain down and re-fill.

I found that they can be cleared temporarily by blowing down the tube, but they quickly become re-blocked unless cleaned properly.

Best of liuck.

Albi.

I recently had to clear the pipe from the tank to the kitchen taps by blowing down it to dislodge a bit of grit or something and that was quite simple to do

I'm a bit confused about this bit. Could you describe what you did here. Which end of the pipe? Hot or cold?

Richard

I'm a bit confused about this bit. Could you describe what you did here. Which end of the pipe? Hot or cold?

Richard

Well.....I turned off the water supply at main tap, disconnected pipe friom water pump under the kitchen area, put a length of hose in it - turned on the water supply and blew down the hose, and pipe until the blockage flew out and I was blowing air into the water in the tank! I hope that makes sense!?

It was the pipe that comes from the tank to the pump....

By the way - I could find no leak - so have filled up the tank FULL and will see how quickly it dissapears - the bilge was fine etc...no water puddles anywhere but I am confused as to where all that water went from the other day ..... I will see what happens -

cheers for all advice. Dont know what Id do without this site!! :rolleyes:

Well.....I turned off the water supply at main tap, disconnected pipe friom water pump under the kitchen area, put a length of hose in it - turned on the water supply and blew down the hose, and pipe until the blockage flew out and I was blowing air into the water in the tank! I hope that makes sense!?

It was the pipe that comes from the tank to the pump....

Is your water pump still purring and not pumping? These pumps are great at pumping water and rubbish at pumping air. We have to bleed our pumps to get them to pump water by taking the pipe off the outlet and maybe even sucking on it. If you have a pipe full of air between the pump and the tank this won't help.

Try taking the pipe off the pump outlet with the pump switched on. Have someone standing by the isolator for the water pump and make sensible precautions for getting everwhere wet. The pump should pump water.

Richard

Is your water pump still purring and not pumping? These pumps are great at pumping water and rubbish at pumping air. We have to bleed our pumps to get them to pump water by taking the pipe off the outlet and maybe even sucking on it. If you have a pipe full of air between the pump and the tank this won't help.

Try taking the pipe off the pump outlet with the pump switched on. Have someone standing by the isolator for the water pump and make sensible precautions for getting everwhere wet. The pump should pump water.

Richard

The pump seems to be back to its former self but I am not overly convinced as yet. The water fow is fine at both tap points and the whirring stops when it should.

I am going to moniter how much water we are using and see what happens now. I think what may have happened is I didnt realise how much water weused over the last few days....washing machine etc...and it empties the tank and the pipe was picking up air. Now it is full it is behaving. But I am still unsure if thats it solved....

The pump seems to be back to its former self but I am not overly convinced as yet. The water fow is fine at both tap points and the whirring stops when it should.

I am going to moniter how much water we are using and see what happens now. I think what may have happened is I didnt realise how much water weused over the last few days....washing machine etc...and it empties the tank and the pipe was picking up air. Now it is full it is behaving. But I am still unsure if thats it solved....

My guess is that you had an airlock and it has now cleared. Air will send our pumps into conniptions for quite a while until it eventually clears the system. You may still want to check to see how much air you have in your calorifier, try venting it with the pressure release valve thing.

If you think that your tank was still part full when the pump stoppped pumping water, and you have an integral tank, and the boat isn't a new one, you may have a problem with the water pick up in the tank. Ours entered the tank about half way up and then had an elbow and a bit of pipe pointing towards the bottom. When we blacked the tank, our pick up pipe broke off!

Richard

in my experience:

female + washing machine + shower = empty water tank.

It's on already, and I'm heading for the door....