cost of diesel

petro

Featured Posts

I have emailed PatrolPrices.com to ask them if they would like to add this sort of thing to their database... I get a weekly email from them letting me know where my cheapest local petrol is...

Take a look;

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Then send them an email suggesting they do it for Canals!

http://www.petrolprices.com/contact.html :lol:

Was at Wheaton Aston a week last Saturday, but missed them by 15 mins as they shut at 2.30. Then it was priced at 71.9ppl so definately coming down...

We eventually filled our tank, and a can from Norbury... which was on the Sunday and 72.9ppl. We also got a liner for our back cabin stove.. £14.00 for a 28inch liner, compared to £14.50 for a 12" liner from NCC (where their fuel was 89ppl).

Thorn Marine was 89ppl but I believe it has come down to 84ppl in the past few days.

I know it's not really diesel and that it's Gas Oil or 35 sec but does the stuff really differ that much in terms of quality or is it just different mark ups for end users, depending on where you buy it from?

Myself and a few others are definitely looking into getting a supplier to deliver to a friends garage. Does anybody know any company who aren't restricted to region who will deliver for a good price?

Was at Wheaton Aston a week last Saturday, but missed them by 15 mins as they shut at 2.30. Then it was priced at 71.9ppl so definately coming down...

We eventually filled our tank, and a can from Norbury... which was on the Sunday and 72.9ppl. We also got a liner for our back cabin stove.. £14.00 for a 28inch liner, compared to £14.50 for a 12" liner from NCC (where their fuel was 89ppl).

Thorn Marine was 89ppl but I believe it has come down to 84ppl in the past few days.

I know it's not really diesel and that it's Gas Oil or 35 sec but does the stuff really differ that much in terms of quality or is it just different mark ups for end users, depending on where you buy it from?

Myself and a few others are definitely looking into getting a supplier to deliver to a friends garage. Does anybody know any company who aren't restricted to region who will deliver for a good price?

I have used Norbury many times for boat servicing etc and have always found there prices to be very good. infact had my boat blackened there in May and a very good job they did at a very reasonable price.

I can also say the same for Thorn Marine and ok there diesel might be a touch more expensive but they are such a nice couple that it is always a pleasure to stop there.

:lol:

I run my Marinised (petrol) OHV Ford X Flow engine on ~E70 ethanol mix. I rigged a primer valve on the carb so that I can cold start the engine on regular unleaded from a small slave then switch over to the main ethanol mixture in the large primary internal tank when its up to temp. Economy is only reduced at revs, which I rarely nudge.

I make the fuel from distilled alcohol (~160) and regular Shell Optimax mix with a ratio of not more than 70/30 alcohol/petrol. This varies a lot depending on the time of year and the weather conditions of course, I found 70/30 just doesnt work in wet or cold, more like 50/50!

100 liters of this 'gasohol' costs me at best around £55 to produce (worst £70) but does take around two months. It is basically homebrew ethanol (grain alcohol) which is very very simple to manufacture in your shed.

It is of course completely illegal and I will most likely blow myself up eventually but I don't give a monkeys .. I like actually going places! The boat cost me nothing to convert as it already had a stainless steel tank, the fuel lines were already metal not rubber and the carb is a downdraft, fuel pump is AC type etc with no rubber or perishable components. The engine never revs higher than 2000 rpm so knock, ping, lash and the old 4* valve seats are never really troubled.

I (did briefly) also run my motorcycle on the stuff! Altho that is a waste of time tbh as it clearly only achieves around 50% the mpg of regular petrol and looses around 20% bhp at peak and I had to fit some elaborate fuel filtration to prevent the carb gumming up with all the additives I put in on top to make it start reliably.

Edited by Pennyless Too

Who is an ass?

I was referring to the distillation process not the end product. The ethanol is less volatile than gasoline. :lol:

I also refer you to the rules of the forum. If you have actually nothing to contribute to a discussion except banter and pedantry, please, don't!

I ain't a mod so I don't usually quote the rules, but since you started it why not check out :-

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly ....................abusive, .................volatile of any law. "

Regardless of anyone's donkey-like attributes, it strikes me that if it costs 55p a litre to make the ethanol (not sure if that includes the fuel needed for distillation), and you have to add stuff to it, the conversion cost money, and the economy is halved, there's not much difference between that and pukka petrol. Added to which there is a safety hazard, which may affect others besides Pennyless. I don't mind if he blows himself up, it's the innocent parties that go with him that bother me.

Sounds like the price in Shardlow has fallen a few pence since we filled up. (They were in fact just taking a delivery as we were being filled). The new owners seemed very friendly - I hope they do well.

In general where prices have been displayed, they have all tended to be in the low 80s, for the second half of our summer adventure.

I was therefore disappointed to come back today past Whilton Marina, and find the price still stuck at 95 pence per litre, the same as over two weeks ago.

I assume the diesel is associated with the chandlery, but perhaps I'm wrong ? If Canal Shop Man is still around, I'd be interested why your 'red' is priced at least 10 pence per litre higher than all other openly displayed prices.

£1.50 a litre won't make the slightest bit of difference to me, it would simply increase the cost of my boating from £88p an hour to £1.50. not a massive hike

I might just stop filling my tank in 1 go and go for several smaller top ups, so far i've done all this years boating on £100 worth of diesel that I bought at easter. it's the serious moboers I feel for.

£1.50 a litre won't make the slightest bit of difference to me, it would simply increase the cost of my boating from £88p an hour to £1.50. not a massive hike

I might just stop filling my tank in 1 go and go for several smaller top ups, so far i've done all this years boating on £100 worth of diesel that I bought at easter. it's the serious moboers I feel for.

Almost 50% dude! :lol: