"Cash for your narrowboat"

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Selling boats - I was faced with owning 2 boats in November 2005 - broker suggested asking price of £18250, ( I felt value about £16000) but stated she had 'someone who would pay £15000', deal done with that purchaser PDQ. ( I was happy - bought the boat for £9500 19 years previously). In real terms to me that boat was worth £14500 cash - to project a 'real' figure you should deduct all the costs of sale.

Albi

£9,500 paid 19 years previous to 2005 is about £24,000 in 2005 prices. To get £14,500 back represents 60% of the original purchase price, in real terms, which seems very good. That is less than 3% depreciation a year in real terms. Sounds like you made a very good deal.

In 1996 I sold a boat which I had bought new in 1992. At the time I paid £23,000 for it. A broker told me I would only get £12,000 for it, less transport and brokerage fees of £2,000, leaving me with £10,000 net. I advertised it for free on a Boating Magazine's ineternet site and sold it within 2 weeks for the asking price of £17,000. The original purchase price was about £45,000 in 2006 prices so I got about 40% back. That was a depreciation of around 7% a year in real terms. Not as good as your deal, but still a surprisingly low depreciation rate IMO.

Chris

£9,500 paid 19 years previous to 2005 is about £24,000 in 2005 prices. To get £14,500 back represents 60% of the original purchase price, in real terms, which seems very good. That is less than 3% depreciation a year in real terms. Sounds like you made a very good deal.

In 1996 I sold a boat which I had bought new in 1992. At the time I paid £23,000 for it. A broker told me I would only get £12,000 for it, less transport and brokerage fees of £2,000, leaving me with £10,000 net. I advertised it for free on a Boating Magazine's ineternet site and sold it within 2 weeks for the asking price of £17,000. The original purchase price was about £45,000 in 2006 prices so I got about 40% back. That was a depreciation of around 7% a year in real terms. Not as good as your deal, but still a surprisingly low depreciation rate IMO.

Chris

I wonder why so many people ignore depreciation and inflation when they compare the real cost of living on boat with the cost of living in a house?

:o ? :hug:!

Although house and boat prices are going down - it is quite amazing what some people will pay these days for something that they really want:

Later in the sale, a Hornby Dublo 2-rail empty box for 2035 'Bournemouth Belle' Pullman train set (lot 5613), sold for £3400 - making this the highest price paid for a Hornby Dublo empty box! It was the rare version with the vac formed inner tray instead of the usual carded tray,

The above was posted on the Internet today - there is more information here!

I've seen too many ego-priced boats up for sale - either they forked out a lot to build the boat in the first place (and never considered resale/individuality factors which affect the 'tick list') or they listen to the boatfitter tell them what it is worth - which is merely an ego trip trying to boost their prices for their next new boats! I've noticed a few boats which are ratio-ed to 'investment' and, quite frankly, are never going to sell - they have already been oversold when being built.

Me too. Usually it's ones that have featured in Canal Boat or WW. Everytime I read the review of one I think to myself, 'how long before I see it in an ABNB ad in the back?' You can end up with a £120,000 or £130,000 boat for sometimes as much as £30,000 less than what it cost to build -so if you like quirky, it's a good deal IMO.

We had a fight on to get our boat - it ticked evey box on our list. It must've ticked every box on everybody elses list as well! But it did have a London mooring, was priced as if it had no mooring and was only five years old (most boats with London moorings I've seen advertised are overpriced and positively ancient). That might've explained it

Edited by Lady Muck

One thing i have noted is that older boats that have been extremely well cared for and maintained, fetch only marginally less than boats of a similar length and spec etc but considerably newer. I have seen boats from the 70's fetch similar values to boats built early 00's. When a local surveyor had a look over my boat (Built in 87), he said there was no substitute for British Steel and the condition of the hull proved it. How many current boat builders use British Steel?? You can't, cos' we don't produce rolled plate steel anymore...

Edited to say: And of course I am talking post canal-renaissance period and not older working boats like FMC's etc. They don't count as they are unique!

Edited by Orca

Easy answer, perhaps, purely to release an asset with minimal loss - I never believed getting a narrowboat would be profit making! :hug:.

As I said, I'm just looking at options for the near future.

So no-one here had direct experience?

I have just sold my boat at a small profit. my fourth success in a row. If a boat is clean and priced correctly it will sell if your patient. It is a good time to try to get rid of your second hand boat and attempt to recoup your money whilst you can. (Just my opinion you understand)

The number of boats for sale increases month by month and makes your job of selling harder and harder.

One example I can give is last year a friend wanted to sell his boat and wasnt patient. My estimate of it was around £11,000 and he would have willingly accepted that much.

He didnt wait and panicked into selling it to a broker for £8000. That boat was imediately advertised on their website at £14,500 without having a thing done to it.

A couple of months back the website advert had sold written across it. (Could be a sales gimmick as the boat is still on hardstanding at the brokeridge)

Your boat is a small fish in a big pond and the number of fish is increasing at an alarming rate.

Hi,

Intersting replies, the boat which I mentioned above, sold quickly, it had full documentation from new, although I was the 3rd owner and it was privately built, I was able to contact the original owner and obtain pics of the build ect. It had also been maintained meticulously, again with full records.

I have been dealing with residential properties for many years and am often amazed at the poor presentation of what people are trying to sell - be it houses, boats or cars. With regard to house inspections, fleas have become an increasing problem (I often had to undress in the garage after a days work to avoid bringing unwanted visitor's home), presumably boats with fitted carpets, dogs and cats may have the same problem.

I am also wary of brokers who hand over the keys to boats for unaccompanied viewings, but preesumably it's dificult to sell direct if there is a broker attached to the marina.

ATB.

Albi