Tunnel lights

dave_2A_

Featured Posts

Well........ a reasonably bright bulb, like a 60-70W halogen car bulb. I also find that a powerful hand-held rechargeable is also a must just in case the tunnel light blows in the tunnel and as an additional lamp anyway in the tunnel to more accurately gauge distance from the wall etc when passing another boat. A 1 million candle power version is sufficient and are as cheap as chips nowadays.

Chris

A basic car 'driving lamp' is sufficient, or you could splash out and buy a lovely brass jobbie, as long as you have illumination to aid your passage and to warn other boats of your presence then thats enough,

your vision is aided by turning on all internal lights to illuminate the tunnel walls, remember to close the rear doors to avoid your night vision degrading, unless your a halfling with infravison of course.

A parafin storm lantern hung on the tiller is always handy for following vessels

Any particular requirements for these? (Other than 12 volts and a bulb) Or are they basically a single spot lamp? (Of which I have a variety knocking about)

Yes, point it to the right (a little), to prevent causing problems for the on coming boater.

Personally I like the 'normal' bow light and one at the rear (just in front of me) aimed at the front right corner of the boat.

I find this is better than turning all the internals on.

I have thought that an old headlamp, fitted upside down, may work if wired to have both 'main' and 'dip' beam.

Main beam when nothing in front and dip if someone does come the other way.

:huh::):)

I have an ancient 'Durite' lamp which I thought could be mounted at the back somewhere - a smaller version of the of swivelling spotlamp you see mounted on 50s American cop cars, but not shiny chrome.

A basic car 'driving lamp' is sufficient, or you could splash out and buy a lovely brass jobbie, as long as you have illumination to aid your passage and to warn other boats of your presence then thats enough,

your vision is aided by turning on all internal lights to illuminate the tunnel walls, remember to close the rear doors to avoid your night vision degrading, unless your a halfling with infravison of course.

A parafin storm lantern hung on the tiller is always handy for following vessels

pretty sure theres signs on tunnels that naked lights are not permited so parafin lamps aren`t allowed ?? :huh:

Edited by denis boyle

Any particular requirements for these? (Other than 12 volts and a bulb) Or are they basically a single spot lamp? (Of which I have a variety knocking about)

Hi There

I prefer a fog type lamp with more spread than reach.

Please make sure it points to the roof of the tunnel about 20 feet in front.

There is nothing worse than being blinded by light pointed directly at you.

Dont forget I will be crashing into your boat when I cant see you!

Alex :huh:

It used to be one of BW's rules that a tunnel light must have a cut-off beam such as a fog-lamp, to avoid dazzling oncoming boats. I still use a fog-lamp, and I prefer the beam it gives anyway. Whatever type you use, point it well to the right and either up or down (ie not straight ahead) to make sure it cannot dazzle people, or they will probably hit your boat (or maybe you) as they pass

pretty sure theres signs on tunnels that naked lights are not permited so parafin lamps aren`t allowed ?? :huh:

Technically this also mean the fridge pilot light, although I don't know anyone who puts it out to navigate a tunnel.(not me, I have an electric fridge).

On the tunnel light I have always used a car fog lamp, pointed slightly downwards so it reflects off the water to the tunnel roof. If necessary I put some cabin lights on too.

Tony.

I prefer a fog type lamp with more spread than reach.

Yeah, thats what you want.

- We just have a old (20yo ish) durite light, dimish 50w jobby.

- Your not going at any real speed, so its ideal. You dont need a 100watt narrowbeam eyeball burner.

I always smile at the 'no naked flames except pilot lights' sign as we steam into tunnels around the system. Its ironic enough as it is without having a coalfired boiler on board.

Daniel

I have two fog lamps (made by Ring, about £25 the pair from one of the car shops, Carworld or something) they are tiny, look quite smart and can be set with one slightly up and one slightly down, are run on seperate cables and fuses and have the advantage that if one fails you still have one

I also have a rear deck courtesy light that I put on which is great to see the walls of the tunnel at the back of the boat

med_gallery_4550_257_42328.jpg