Atherstone

nigel carton

Featured Posts

Normally I would accend or decend the flight and not stop, but on this occasion because it was lashing it down, decided to moor right outside the Kings Head between locks 5 and 6. The pub has been turned around by Jim and Claire in just 10 months, great atmosphere, good food and good ale. well worth a visit.

:)

oops sorry mods, thought I'd posted this in the best waterside pub section, please feel free to move it. :clapping:

Edited by nigel carton

Normally I would accend or decend the flight and not stop, but on this occasion because it was lashing it down, decided to moor right outside the Kings Head between locks 5 and 6. The pub has been turned around by Jim and Claire in just 10 months, great atmosphere, good food and good ale. well worth a visit.

:)

Thanks for the tip Nigel, we'll give it a try this summer

:clapping:

• 4 weeks later...

:o

oops sorry mods, thought I'd posted this in the best waterside pub section, please feel free to move it. :)

This is an absolute gem of a place.

Good moorings just around the corner too, on this very long pound. Very convenient for walking into to town, nearby Co-op superstore.

If its not raining don't forget The Samuel Barlow run by boaters for boaters

Where's that? Going down the flight today, ably lock-wheeled by "Cheshire~Rose" and "st170dw" and can't find it in either Nicholsons or on the GEO-Projects map.

oops sorry mods, thought I'd posted this in the best waterside pub section, please feel free to move it. :o

This thread appears to have developed a life of its own. Even if it is subsequently merged with the 'best waterside pubs' topic - there can be no harm in leaving it as it is for the time being.

Edited by NB Alnwick
we all can make mistakes!

Where's that? Going down the flight today, ably lock-wheeled by "Cheshire~Rose" and "st170dw" and can't find it in either Nicholsons or on the GEO-Projects map.

I can report that a thoroughly good days work has been done!

It was wonderful to work a few locks again!

Chris is safely installed in Polesworth we received full payment for out work in the form of a wonderful pint of Pedigree (or 2). I forgot to take my camera but was handed one and given the job of photographer for the day so perhaps Chris can post a pic (if any of them are worth seeing)

I can also report 2 firsts for me today!

I used the side pond (without flooding the cellar of the cottage next door)

I went magnet fishing and .......... I got a decent catch!

I know that stretch of canal so well. I commented that as a walker the boaters tend not to be so willing to get involved in conversation with you at the locks as they do if you have a windlass in your hand. I said I had even considered buying a windlass to take on my walks to assist if anyone was using the locks.

Chris suggested I use his magnet to "fish" for one at the next lock so I did. The first lock I found a rather lovely and old hand made nail! ..... another rusty nail to add to the Skoda I already own :o

The next lock the magnet found something much heavier and I carefully hauled the line in to find....... a windlass!

I don't know who was more surprised........... Chris said he had never managed to find a windlass before now his speciality is mooring pins!

My son Drew when he's here! aka Andrew Burge

I have been thinking for ages it would be a great place to have a banter!

I suspect everyone will already have gone boating by May 5th (May Day bank holiday) but I wonder if anyone would be up for a banter that day?

B)

oops sorry mods, thought I'd posted this in the best waterside pub section, please feel free to move it. B)

Have never been that impressed with teh pubs in Atherstone except for my last visit when I discovered the Market Tavern in the Market Square - an excellent watering hole:

http://www.warwickshirebeer.co.uk/mtatherstone/index.htm

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Sod the pubs and the bookshop - there is unbelievably wonderful meat pie(and local veg.) shop on the right of the High Street (from the cut) next to Sommerfields and me (we) a veggy :lol: too. I understand that they supply Harrods. For some other comments on Atherstone see Warrior Woman's blog 05-07/06/2007

Edited by PaddingtonBear