futons on boats

tcox

Featured Posts

Sorry - yet another query

Was thinking of getting a couple of futons to use in the saloon as extra accomodation/sofas.

Has anyone done this? do they work?

Also wondering if you could fit one width-ways across the boat. (perhaps only for shorter guests!!!)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

many thanks...

tcox

There are futons and futons, I've slept on some awful ones but we do have on the boat, it's called a Roman Futon and is actually very comfortable. It just folds flat and so doesn't have the multiple bend problem of some. It won't fit across the boat though. Have a look at http://www.sitandsleep.co.uk/acatalog/05/roman.html Cheers Graham

The futon that was onboard when I bought "Jean Margaret" is now so much kindling ... in fact, most of it has been burnt! It was an Ikea one, the 'mattress' part was really lumpy BUT the bed-board part was quite well built considering the cheap pine. Only got rid of it as I didn't like it as a sofa being too low and too uncomfortable and OCM's didn't find the matress that good a rest.

The futon that was onboard when I bought "Jean Margaret" is now so much kindling ... in fact, most of it has been burnt! It was an Ikea one, the 'mattress' part was really lumpy BUT the bed-board part was quite well built considering the cheap pine. Only got rid of it as I didn't like it as a sofa being too low and too uncomfortable and OCM's didn't find the matress that good a rest.

Well we burnt our Ikea bed base (and all our cheapo canvas covered furniture) when we got the boat, but I never thought to burn the Ikea futon (we used to use our new thick futon on top). We took it to the tip!

Well we burnt our Ikea bed base (and all our cheapo canvas covered furniture) when we got the boat, but I never thought to burn the Ikea futon (we used to use our new thick futon on top). We took it to the tip!

Ah! To clarify ... the Matress part went to the Aylesbury tip, the base was the only bit I've burnt.

Sorry - yet another queryWas thinking of getting a couple of futons to use in the saloon as extra accomodation/sofas.Has anyone done this? do they work?Also wondering if you could fit one width-ways across the boat. (perhaps only for shorter guests!!!)Any advice would be much appreciated.many thanks...tcox

It really depends on how You want to use the Saloon day-to-day. Do you want a sofa/futon or would you perfer separate chairs? Otherwise you could consider is getting a decent inflatable matress (such as Argos Airbed Clicky) which can be laid either length or widthways, and then be packed away pretty easily.

[edit for LF issue]

Edited by Chris J W

Thanks for fab advice

Airbeds sound good - they won't explode if put too near to a stove, will they? :)

For sitting, could you put an ordinary (small) sofa on a boat - saloon will be quite large, just wondering if you could get one through the door?

Cheers

Thanks for fab advice

Airbeds sound good - they won't explode if put too near to a stove, will they? :)

For sitting, could you put an ordinary (small) sofa on a boat - saloon will be quite large, just wondering if you could get one through the door?

Cheers

Argos do a good sofa bed called Tennessee. It's wooden, looks good and folds straight out into a double bed with one pull. We've got one as our spare bed at home & it's great. I'll be getting one for the boat too. It's flat pack, so no problem getting it in.

Thanks for fab advice

Cheers

Well, mine hasn't ... yet ...

On the sofa front; speaking personally I'm not a great fan as I live 'up' the boat rather than 'across' - but then again I'm on my own so that's probably not an awful lot of help. However, the sofa/bed mentioned above looks pretty good and the sort of thing I would look at if I had an OCM to share the remote control for the TV with.

Well, mine hasn't ... yet ...

On the sofa front; speaking personally I'm not a great fan as I live 'up' the boat rather than 'across' - but then again I'm on my own so that's probably not an awful lot of help. However, the sofa/bed mentioned above looks pretty good and the sort of thing I would look at if I had an OCM to share the remote control for the TV with.

We use ikea bed chairs and find them very cumfy. We seem to have five now but not all on the boat.

Sue

Thats a lovely futon but too big for our little 42ft boat. Does anyone know of any sturdy smaller futons or very small two seater sofas that will fit through the door?

There are currently seperate chairs on the boat and i already have a double air bed but me and the fella love a snuggle in the evening. :o

Thats a lovely futon but too big for our little 42ft boat. Does anyone know of any sturdy smaller futons or very small two seater sofas that will fit through the door? There are currently seperate chairs on the boat and i already have a double air bed but me and the fella love a snuggle in the evening. :o

That's probably a "flat pack" that'll easy go in ... if not (guessitmated on the photo), it's probably easy enough to take apart and then re-assemble.

We use ikea bed chairs and find them very cumfy. We seem to have five now but not all on the boat.Sue

Singles or doubles?

[edit for typo and LF]

Edited by Chris J W

That's probably a "flat pack" that'll easy go in ... if not (guessitmated on the photo), it's probably easy enough to take apart and then re-assemble.

Singles or doubles?

[edit for typo and LF]

You are correct it came as a flat pack and the mattress was folded in half, very easy to put together.

Regards

Andy

That's probably a "flat pack" that'll easy go in ... if not (guessitmated on the photo), it's probably easy enough to take apart and then re-assemble.[edit for typo and LF]
The problem is not just getting it through the door but the size when up. Our NB is 42ft I dont have the exact mesurement of where it would fit yet but its small!I think one of the wooden frame basic futons would fit but im a bit worried as to how comfy they are for everyday use.
I like my hammock. I'm amazed that more people dont use them but i do have a problem when its twos up.
cosy! I love my hamock dont think i would want to use it everyday though.