Advice on widebeams

CJR

Featured Posts

Hi folks

Can anyone out there recommend places I can view some liveaboard widebeams for sale? I am living Ireland, but hoping to buy a widebeam in the UK to bring back. We are planning to come over to the UK maybe next weekend and see as many as possible in 2 - 3 days, so if anyone knows any private seller or brokers that may have something suitable please do let us know and we will be happy to make an appointment to view. Also, any advice on a suitable size for transporting by road (and rough idea on costs?), or suggestions as to good transport firms...?

We are looking for a widebeam or barge with 2 bedrooms (we have a 9 year old daughter) and we have finances in place for the right boat.

We look forward to hearing any advice or comments on our quest......

Thanks for your time. :stop:

Hi folks

Can anyone out there recommend places I can view some liveaboard widebeams for sale? I am living Ireland, but hoping to buy a widebeam in the UK to bring back. We are planning to come over to the UK maybe next weekend and see as many as possible in 2 - 3 days, so if anyone knows any private seller or brokers that may have something suitable please do let us know and we will be happy to make an appointment to view. Also, any advice on a suitable size for transporting by road (and rough idea on costs?), or suggestions as to good transport firms...?

We are looking for a widebeam or barge with 2 bedrooms (we have a 9 year old daughter) and we have finances in place for the right boat.

Thanks for your time. B)

Cant you take them all! :lol:

I have only ever seen one moving :stop:

There is a member who moves boats, Im sure he will be able to help

Alex

Cant you take them all! B)

I have only ever seen one moving :stop:

There is a member who moves boats, Im sure he will be able to help

Alex

The Shannon is nice and wide, so no fear of us not moving around! We plan to be able to cruise the whole of the Shannon and into the Shannon-Erne system in the North...Any ideas on where we could view a few?

http://www.boattransporter.co.uk/

kath@hainsworths.co.uk

These guys gave me a quote to move my boat over to Ireland - I am thinking of taking it over for a few months when the Royal Canal re-opens to do the Royal-Shannon-Grand Ring, in the wake of Tom Rolt's 1948 epic (Green and Silver)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.abtuckey.co.uk/abtuckey.co.uk/Home.html

These guys have a good reputation too

Edited by WJM

Ray Bowers(?) at Streehay Wharf...Very nice guy with a great attitude.Was very willing to move our 70' X 12' from york to Bristol and then Hull to Manchester Ship Canal (not that we did either but he gave us competitive quotes for each journey). Look him up on Google. Good Luck..

All the canals in Ireland are true widebeam, as opposed to the some British wide canals which have wide locks only to allow a narrow motor and a butty to lock together. Regardless of the lock width, the bridge holes, tunnels and basic channel were intended for narrowboats. Irish canals were built wide for broad boats.

I am surprised to see narrowboats in Ireland (and there are a few) because there is simply no advantage whatsoever.

All the canals in Ireland are true widebeam, as opposed to the some British wide canals which have wide locks only to allow a narrow motor and a butty to lock together. Regardless of the lock width, the bridge holes, tunnels and basic channel were intended for narrowboats. Irish canals were built wide for broad boats.

I am surprised to see narrowboats in Ireland (and there are a few) because there is simply no advantage whatsoever.

How extensive is the Irish canal/waterways system?

Two main canals that do exactly the same thing - connect Dublin to the Shannon Navigation - born of a boardroom bust-up where one lot left the first canal company and built a second rival canal parallel to the first. There are then two main river navigations, the Shannon and the Barrow which are all connected together by the canals.

The built parts are much more 'chunky' than the british system, everything is made of cut stone rather than brick so it has lasted much better. There was neither the coal or the industrial infrastructure to make bricks but stonemasons are easy to find or train. Just as well because until recently there was neither the will nor the money to maintain any of it. The system never had much use either so it never got a chance to wear out!

The two canals are about 60 miles long, the Shannon is massive, 200 miles possibly?, the Barrow 50 or 60 miles?

I havnt mentioned the waterways in Ulster because I dont know them well. They are now connected to the Southern system.

Edited by WJM

Two main canals that do exactly the same thing - connect Dublin to the Shannon Navigation - born of a boardroom bust-up where one lot left the first canal company and built a second rival canal parallel to the first. There are then two main river navigations, the Shannon and the Barrow which are all connected together by the canals.

The built parts are much more 'chunky' than the british system, everything is made of cut stone rather than brick so it has lasted much better. There was neither the coal or the industrial infrastructure to make bricks but stonemasons are easy to find or train. Just as well because until recently there was neither the will nor the money to maintain any of it. The system never had much use either so it never got a chance to wear out!

The two canals are about 60 miles long, the Shannon is massive, 200 miles possibly?, the Barrow 50 or 60 miles?

I havnt mentioned the waterways in Ulster because I dont know them well. They are now connected to the Southern system.

I would guess the Irish waterways aren't so crowded so consequently it's cheaper and there's less politics? Do they even know what a CCer is for example?

I would guess the Irish waterways aren't so crowded so consequently it's cheaper and there's less politics? Do they even know what a CCer is for example?

Hi Mike,

I nearly had the ''opportunity'' to work over in Dublin a while back, infact the discussions were going on during the build of Blue Pearl. I looked into the waterways around Dublin in some detail and if you like it quiet without many facilities I think you'd love it. If you want marina type facilities etc then forget it as they dont really exist. It would have suited us down to the ground but alas the discussions didnt come to fruition !

Les

Hi Mike

At the moment a CC'er would be just going back and forward over the same ground (water). There is only the Grand at the moment that is navigable from Dublin (River Liffey) to the Shannon River. On the way you can turn left onto the River Barrow and head for Carlow. It goes on to Waterford but not too sure as to navigation.

The Grand enters the Shannon at Shannon Harbour and you can head north or south. Heading north you join the Shannon-Erne waterway and then on to the Erne navigation.

The Ulster canal did link from here to Lough Neagh and the River Bann. Funds were provided last year by both Northern and Southern Governments for the restoration of the Ulster Canal so in the future we have this to look forward to.

Going south from Shannon Harbour the main navigation is as far as Killaloe. From here you can go on to Limerick (home of the magnificant Terry Woe-gone) through the lock at Ardnacrusha Power station but I see it's recomended not to pass if more than 1 turbine is in operation. (never been this way).

The Royal canal from Dublin to the Shannon is under restoration at the moment and is "due for opening" (~???) later this year. (must check for update). This enters the Shannon at Clondra. (Just checked Waterways Ireland's website and it is totaly out of date. Will email them.)

As far as I recall the Grand was built with shorter locks (61.5') to prevent the longer boats (75') from the Royal being used.

I'm based at Hazehatch just between the Lucan road Bridge and lock 12 here map no.3 of the Grand Canal.

To answer your question Mike, you coulg go weeks without seeing a boat move on the canals here. The Shannon / Shannon-Erne are the most used and can be quite busy during summer.

Check out the Tuesdaynight club's cruise reports in Ireland. Fantastic photo's and info.

Edit to add a Tuesdaynightclub link to pic's of Hazelhatch. (bottom of page)

Edited by Shinner

Hi folks

Thanks for your time. ;)

Have you been in touch with Narrowcraft ?

Our factory is in Poland Visit My Website

We can transport direct to Ireland and send a couple of lads over to commission the boat./

PS Know of any Bolinders over there ?

Edited by bargeeboy

Have you been in touch with Narrowcraft ?

Our factory is in Poland Visit My Website

We can transport direct to Ireland and send a couple of lads over to commission the boat./

PS Know of any Bolinders over there ?

Hi there - yes it was me that called you yesterday! Hope to try and get over to see you when the weather calms down a bit.....sorry don't know of any Bolinders (isn't that Dutch gin?!)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi folks

Thanks for your time. :o

CJR good luck with your search!!

I have a freind offered a job in Dublin who wishes to move his nb to a secure mooring/marina in the Dublin area.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation!!

CJR good luck with your search!!

I have a freind offered a job in Dublin who wishes to move his nb to a secure mooring/marina in the Dublin area.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation!!

Hi there

Not too familiar with the Dublin area for mooring, but I think it is a little difficult to get secure moorings near to the city. I think there is only one boatyard on the Grand Canal close to Dublin - have a look at the webite for Irish Inland waterways: www.iwai.ie for more info. There are a few liveaboards in the Hazelhatch area, but I'm not sure if there is space there. We are in midlands on the Shannon, and there are more marinas on the Shannon if he wants to look further afield...Let me know if you need any more info - more than happy to help.

all the best and good luck in your search. :o