River Nene, Middle Levels, the Great Ouse and Cam

Chevetter

Featured Posts

I'm planning to navigate the Nene over Easter weekend from Northampton to Peterborough and then across the middle levels and up the Great Ouse and Cam to Cambridge - a 6 or 7 day journey in total.

I already know about the stoppage at Barnwell Lock until 20th and the silt at Salter's Lode, but would like some advice about the journey if anyone has any to offer.

All my previous boating has been on the canals of the Midlands, particularly the Grand Union Leicester Arm so anything that is different from these navigations is going to be new to me.

I've been told by a neighbour at my winter mooring that the River Nene is a "C%*t", which he has nicknamed "The B*st*%&d" and not to attempt it if there has been a lot of rain leading up to the journey.

I'm especially concerned about overnight mooring - apparently places on the Nene are few and far between and some of them are unsafe, particularly around Northampton. Also I've been told that the river tends to rise and fall at an alarming rate - how can I moor in order that I don't wake up either stuck on something or with the boat half full of water?

On a lighter note, are there any good pubs or places of interest that should not be missed?

My boat is a 40ft cruiser stern narrowboat, just in case you needed to know, so I'm well within the max. length for the locks and hopefully should be ok with the sharp turn in Wisbech.

Edited by Chevetter

I'm planning to do the Nene for the first time soon, the advice i've been given is to allow plenty of time and take everything nice and slow.

Have you got the Imray guide for the Nene? http://www.canal-warehouse.co.uk/river-nene-p205.html

At least by keeping the guide handy you'll have a better chance of avoiding the weirs, although the huge guillotines make the locks hard to miss!

Parts of the TNC on tour trip reports for the Fens may interest you, here. They are trip reports so do not generally give advice to other boaters but I think they are useful for getting a feel of an area. They are a good general read at any rate.

Other than that, I am afraid I can be of no assistance; It has been ages since we were on the the Nene.

Edited by grunders

I'm planning to do the Nene for the first time soon, the advice i've been given is to allow plenty of time and take everything nice and slow.

Have you got the Imray guide for the Nene? http://www.canal-warehouse.co.uk/river-nene-p205.html

At least by keeping the guide handy you'll have a better chance of avoiding the weirs, although the huge guillotines make the locks hard to miss!

We bought our narrowboat from March in Cambridge and sailed back to the Nottingham area. 9 days, great trip.

It was our FIRST ever trip in our first narrowboat.

The Nene was fantastic, we were unsure what to expect and were a little shocked to come across our first guillotene lock. (special key needed) we found many places to stop in the middle of nowhere and we found the river to run quite slowly.

Enjoy. :angry:

Yeah I've got that guide - my neighbour gave it to me as he said he was "Never going near the Nene ever again". It's got lots of handy tips annoted in ballpoint pen such as "Do not go in this pub - b&st&rd$".

Nickfryer - at what time of year was your trip?

Yeah I've got that guide - my neighbour gave it to me as he said he was "Never going near the Nene ever again". It's got lots of handy tips annoted in ballpoint pen such as "Do not go in this pub - b&st&rd$".

Nickfryer - at what time of year was your trip?

May. 3 years ago.

The Nene is lovely, but several of the moorings on the map are unsuitable for a narrowboat although you may be OK in a 40' cruiser on many of them and I agree I wouldn't stop in Northampton by choice (although it's better than it used to be) and Wellingborough looks pretty uninviting from the river too. It can rise rather rapidly after heavy rain, so don't stop in the Northampton barrage area overnight either; just after that at Cogenhoe is simply beautiful and you can either get a drink in the caravan site clubhouse or else walk 20 minutes uphill to the village for the pub. Stop at Fotheringhay it's stunning too, well worth the mooring fee, and spend some time at Wadenhoe if you can too!

Most of the locks have been electrified so it's not as much hard work as it used to be; when they took the handles off the new wheels (Elfin Safety) it was the equivalent of a wheelchair marathon - you turned the rims of the wheels 26 miles on the return trip!

The middle levels are no trouble, and the Ouse is fine unless it floods like it did for us. Take your time and enjoy the trip (here's our account of it)

The Nene is lovely, but several of the moorings on the map are unsuitable for a narrowboat although you may be OK in a 40' cruiser on many of them and I agree I wouldn't stop in Northampton by choice (although it's better than it used to be) and Wellingborough looks pretty uninviting from the river too. It can rise rather rapidly after heavy rain, so don't stop in the Northampton barrage area overnight either; just after that at Cogenhoe is simply beautiful and you can either get a drink in the caravan site clubhouse or else walk 20 minutes uphill to the village for the pub. Stop at Fotheringhay it's stunning too, well worth the mooring fee, and spend some time at Wadenhoe if you can too!

Most of the locks have been electrified so it's not as much hard work as it used to be; when they took the handles off the new wheels (Elfin Safety) it was the equivalent of a wheelchair marathon - you turned the rims of the wheels 26 miles on the return trip!

The middle levels are no trouble, and the Ouse is fine unless it floods like it did for us. Take your time and enjoy the trip (here's our account of it)

Thanks for the adivce - I notice that you talk about low bridges so I take it I'm going to have to take my chimney off!

I've just realised that I meant to say 40ft cruiser stern narrowboat and that a cruiser is one of those fibreglassy things by the way :angry:

Thanks for the adivce - I notice that you talk about low bridges so I take it I'm going to have to take my chimney off!

I've just realised that I meant to say 40ft cruiser stern narrowboat and that a cruiser is one of those fibreglassy things by the way :angry:

Ah, then there will be a few less places to moor (although more than we found for our 67-foot). We always found somewhere, but some of the moorings shown on the map were really only suitable for a dinghy and one night we had to travel on for 2 hours after our intended stop, before we found somewhere suitable (which was a field near the Nene Valley railway - the dogs were standing on the back deck with their legs crossed, and when we stopped on the field they leapt off and went positively berserk for 15 minutes chasing around the field).

In the Middle Levels there are loads of places to moor if you don't need to get off and walk dogs, but only the officially markesd moorings are suitable if you want to get off and walk about easily.

The EA moorings on the Great Ouse are really good - well-maintained, with deep water and good bollards.

the Nene is a lovely river. Billing to Wollaston is very pleasant. Wellingborough to Ditchford not quite so pretty. Higham lock to Peterborough is stunning.

electrification of the locks has helped no end, the remaining manual locks are difficult to get electric to - thankfully most of the hard/deep locks have been done.

avoid mooring in N/Hampton near South Bridge if you can, avoid Wellingborough at the Embankment too - Whitworths millers make a terrible racket, the toilets have been known to attract unsavoury characters too........

as for pubs - the pub attached to the Premier Travel inn at Billing Aquadrome does reasonable food, spacious pub so you can usually get seated ok, i think it is called the Quays. avoid the Billing Mill, is normally full of chavs and the food is crap!

you can try Northampton boat club, google their website, although they can be funny if you are not an ANCR member.

you then have Cogenhoe Mill who welcome visitors for a drink. short trip down the river to Earls Barton lock there is Dunkleys restaurant - good but slightly pricey food.

nothing between here and Irthlingborough i am afraid!

good moorings at Irthlingborough Diamonds centre, bar/bistro effort in the football grounds. bit of a walk into town itself but good choice of chinese/indian and pubs if you do make the effort

next up is Woodford, moorings are a bit poor, tie up on bank below church, less than 5 min walk into village - two pubs to choose from, the Dukes Arms, dog friendly good food, not been given the trendy make over yet! White Horse Inn is more of a restaurant, big conservatory dinning area etc.

short way down the river is the Denford Inn, tie up on the bank closest to the villiage, short walk across the field. used to be called the Cock Inn but now given the trendy treatment

next is Thrapston 9 arches moorings, close to town, lots of choice for food, the Woolpack across the road in Islip is nice. there are moorings after Islip lock if 9 arches bridge moorings are too busy.

after this is Titchmarsh mill, home of the MNCC, they are visitor friendly and have a lovely little bar in the mill house - recomended!

short way down from here is the Kings Head at Wadenhoe, nice setting, moorings can be busy so tie up further upstream and walk down the beautiful riverside walk. lots of good walks here, walks to Lyveden New Build, Pilton etc.

the river then wends its way to Barnwell/Oundle at the moment the Barnwell mill is shut, which is a shame as it was very pleasant there - who knows if it will re-open?? you can get a beer at Oundle Crusing Club, again very friendly bunch. its a good walk into oundle from the Marina - worth it as Oundle is a very nice town

the river winds a long way round from Lower Barnwell to Ashton lock, tie up here and walk to the Chequred Skipper in Ashton - home of the conker championships! long walk but good food and beer.

next up is Forthinghay, well worth the stop, go to see where Mary Queen of Scotts was locked up! not been to the Falcon personally but have had good reports.

good moorings at Elton, short walk to villiage for pubs and shop, neither dog friendly so cant comment!

will need people from the Peterborough area to finish off the pub guide.......

our river floods a little too regularly, and can cause navigation problems, hopefully this year will be better.......

hope this helps

Edited by gazza

Wow, what a comprehensive guide Gazza, thankyou so much.

Is there some organisation I can ring (guess it would be the EA?) to find out if it is okay to navigate the river?

Also, no-one has answered my mooring question yet. Is that because this isn't usually an issue? I've heard horror stories about people mooring, going to sleep and waking up with the boat on top of the mooring pegs!

Wow, what a comprehensive guide Gazza, thankyou so much.

Is there some organisation I can ring (guess it would be the EA?) to find out if it is okay to navigate the river?

Also, no-one has answered my mooring question yet. Is that because this isn't usually an issue? I've heard horror stories about people mooring, going to sleep and waking up with the boat on top of the mooring pegs!

its not quite that bad, we are not tidal yet :angry: you can normally tie up pretty much anywhere you like, it is a very rural and remote river in places, make sure you have a decent plank as the bank is a bit erroded in places and can be a little shallow towards the bank. lots of lovely spots under trees,out of sight, away from major roads (mostly, the a45, a6, a14 and peterborough ring roads do come close but you can normally find somewhere quite) wellingborough and northampton are the biggest towns before peterborugh, most of the villages are NOT on the river edge, had the sense not to build on the flood plane back in the day.... some places, such as Fothringhay require a small moring fee, but to be honest i havent had to pay for a mooring other than our 'home' mooring yet

EA have a floodline, check their (very good) website, still, it should be good the amount they carge for a years licence...... if the river does flood when you are on it try to get to an established marina, there are a few dotted along the way, tie bows pointing upstream and keep your fingures crossed.....

I'm planning to navigate the Nene over Easter weekend from Northampton to Peterborough and then across the middle levels and up the Great Ouse and Cam to Cambridge - a 6 or 7 day journey in total.

I already know about the stoppage at Barnwell Lock until 20th and the silt at Salter's Lode, but would like some advice about the journey if anyone has any to offer.

All my previous boating has been on the canals of the Midlands, particularly the Grand Union Leicester Arm so anything that is different from these navigations is going to be new to me.

I've been told by a neighbour at my winter mooring that the River Nene is a "C%*t", which he has nicknamed "The B*st*%&d" and not to attempt it if there has been a lot of rain leading up to the journey.

I'm especially concerned about overnight mooring - apparently places on the Nene are few and far between and some of them are unsafe, particularly around Northampton. Also I've been told that the river tends to rise and fall at an alarming rate - how can I moor in order that I don't wake up either stuck on something or with the boat half full of water?

On a lighter note, are there any good pubs or places of interest that should not be missed?

My boat is a 40ft cruiser stern narrowboat, just in case you needed to know, so I'm well within the max. length for the locks and hopefully should be ok with the sharp turn in Wisbech.

Hi There

We were down there last year - all the way to Bedford. We was stuck for three days in Northampton until the river went down without a problem. Dont listen to the tow path telegraph, get adventurous and just do it.

If it rains VERY heavy contact the locals for advise, it will take at least a day for the river to rise. The major problem is not the locks or the flow but the bridges losing their head height.

You will not enjoy the guillatine locks and for me the Ouse is better than the Nene - but both good. There are fine mooring but few and far between. You will have to be adventurous with mooring some times, it is a river, so no tow paths but there are some fabulous spots if you get out the mooring stakes and jump for the bank. We actually moored tied to tree one night.

Im sure you will return a much more experienced boater and confident to tackle any waterway.

Enjoy

Alex

It might be for Telford the dog, but not for Molly the Bitch (and they're both too stupid to work out how to use a gangplank too)

Yep gangplanks are a problem - we have a plan!

I am bringing ours back from the boat and using it to get the dog into the back of the car!

We will see!

I am bringing ours back from the boat and using it to get the dog into the back of the car!

We will see!

Hope you use a safety net or I will report you to the RSPCA........ that hatchback of yours is a long way up for a frightened little dog and I bet you dont pay danger money either!

We will see!

Yes I've seen your plan for a centre pivoted plank, and the dog standing on one end while you jump from the roof of the car on to the other end. If it works can you post a link to it on You-tube?

Yes I've seen your plan for a centre pivoted plank, and the dog standing on one end while you jump from the roof of the car on to the other end. If it works can you post a link to it on You-tube?

Aww I am innocent her swmbo wanted to spend £XM buying a car ramp!

We did the Nene too and enjoyed it -- though even the electric locks are a chore (just plain slow and you have to close the gates after exiting too). Oh and water often pours over upper gate when shut so watch that. It was windy when we travelled which you need to watch when mooring. If you're worried about the weather en route, ring the EA -- they're pretty helpful and more accurate than the towpath telegraph which we found pretty alarmist when we went.

We studied the Guide and found enough places -- all mentioned in this thread. The farmer at Fotheringhay was very helpful: we had to leave our boat for a week and he checked the ropes while we were away. The pub there is a bit 'gastro' but has a good little public bar round the back. Also moored overnight at Willy Watt Marina, a helpful little private place near Ringstead (but ring first).

The Ouse is less easily affected by changing water levels and much better for moorings - plenty of EA 48 hour pontoons and worth joining GOBA - Great Ouse Boating Association - to use their moorings which are often in pretty spots. Bottom of the Ouse is wide, straight and a bit dull but explore the tributaries: the Wissey, Lark etc are very pretty. Ely is lovely and you can moor on the quayside. There's a pump-out too. The Old West River to Earith is pretty and has plenty of farmer's field type moorings. The Cam's good but Cambridge itself can be v. busy

High flows around Peterborough occur 3/4 days after heavy rain in the midlands

In Peterborough there is a quiet overnight mooring near the Boathouse Pub here: Streetmap

You can tie up outside Asda for shopping (Just after the ML Railway bridges) but would not recommend it overnight.

The embankment is generally OK if you want a town centre mooring, there are often professional drinkers on the benches but have never had any trouble with them.

Don't forget that you need to give Stanground lock 24Hrs notice; once in the Middle level you are safe from flooding baring national disasters, although you might find moderate flows after heavy rain.

Depth on the tidal section of the Great Ouse is not a problem after work done before the National Rally last summer, the lock keeper at Salter's Lode is very helpful with advice on crossing.

Enjoy your trip :stop:

I am sure you will enjoy.. we are on our way there now just as soon as the Buckby flight of locks open on the GU and we can get through..

We spent 2005 and 2006 over in East Anglia, no queues for locks no hassle at all. Join Goba for £17, they have plenty of moorings all over the place and they are nice too. If you find plastic boats stretched out on them like washing on a line, ask them to close the gaps or 'raft up'.. because you are going to moor there in your steel boat, and do they really want you to moor alongside!.. They are normally very good, but you don't have a long narrowboat so it won't be too much of a problem.

The locks on the Nene are slower than you might be used to, but life in the slow lane is what it is all about, and it is easy to switch off 'over there'.

My blog has a lot of info on our daily travels, and you might like a look.. click here to see our first day on the Nene ever.. but do have a read of summers 2005 and 2006 to get an idea of what it is really like.

I hope maybe to see you if only we can get through the week after easter!!.. Mind you, Salters Lock is silted up at the moment and I did hear it was closed.. EA should have cleared that though by the time we go through, I guess we will spend at least a month on the Nene before going across the Middle Levels :stop:

Have fun.. B)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice so far:

Have obtained a sturdy plank, attached a rope to my life ring and joined GOBA.

It seems the first day of my cruise will put me right in the middle of Northampton at nightfall (between locks 2 and 3 Rush Mills and Abington to be exact). Anyone got any advice as to where to moor in this locality?

Sue, I'm planning to come through Buckby Locks as soon as they open too - maybe I will see you next thursday.