RYA Course and lock etiquette

MikeT

Featured Posts

Hi here's a newbie to the forum , I've hired about 5 times every other year and as an occasional hirer I normally feel fairly competent when the holiday has finished but then have to start again next time and wonder what the view is on a RYA course as presumably would be able to spend time doing the things that you don't do on holiday, i.e. controlled (!) reversing/turning but again would probably have re-learn it next time?

Also what's the etiquette where two canals meet at a T junction where there is a lock causing a queue in one direction and you are approaching from the other arm e.g. A queue southbound at Stoke top lock southbound and me exiting the Caldon also going southbound - is it acceptable to politely merge at the front of the queue, like a lane closure on a road, or am I expected to reverse back along until the end of the queue?

Hi here's a newbie to the forum , I've hired about 5 times every other year and as an occasional hirer I normally feel fairly competent when the holiday has finished but then have to start again next time and wonder what the view is on a RYA course as presumably would be able to spend time doing the things that you don't do on holiday, i.e. controlled (!) reversing/turning but again would probably have re-learn it next time?

Also what's the etiquette where two canals meet at a T junction where there is a lock causing a queue in one direction and you are approaching from the other arm e.g. A queue southbound at Stoke top lock southbound and me exiting the Caldon also going southbound - is it acceptable to politely merge at the front of the queue, like a lane closure on a road, or am I expected to reverse back along until the end of the queue?

I'm sure a good course can only make you more aware of things and improve your boat handling. That goes for anyone really, old sea dog and new boy alike.

I ca't quite picture the situation you describe as I don't know Stoke top lock. There may even be a particular local etiquette at that place - others will be here shortly to inform you I'm sure. If I come to a place where I'm not sure if it's ok for me to proceed or wait I generally shout at the nearest boater to ask.

Edited by blackrose

Re Locks: the same thing can happen at Hurleston. Normal practice is to moor up before the junction and go up and speak to the people in the queue from the other direction to establish your place in the order, and make sure any later arrivals are aware of your position. You certainly don't merge in at the front of the queue!

Its the same at Middlewich, if you are coming off the New Cut to turn right, uphill. You need to go and chat to the folk through the bridge and come to an arrangement. You mustn't presume anything.

Tim

I know where you mean..... best to come out moore at the front of the Q then look at the faces of everyone in the Q, you might have time to walk back and tell everyone that you are waiting there until your turn but I doubt it.....as you will be mobed by everyone telling you that you are last in the Q. Anyway best thing to do is to walk to last boat in Q and ask them to let any other boats that arrive know that you are infact in the Q behind them even though you are in the front of the Q. Think I know what I mean not sure anyone else will!!

I was once asked by a hire-boat crew if they could go ahead of me.

I assured them that I could almost certainly work through a flight, single-handed, as fast as they could, and wouldn't hold them up.

The nominated spokesman told me, most earnestly, that that wasn't the reason and they were worried that my boat would sink in the lock and they wouldn't be able to continue with their holiday.

I was so touched by their concern that I let them pass and, after each lock, they came back and helped me through.

Tks for the replies which confirmed what I thought - actually I had this problem on my first ever hire and reversed back past seemingly miles of q'ing boats (Nobody had told me then that you couldn't reverse!) Hadn't thought of the obvious and asking someone to keep my place - doh

I did a course two weeks ago - I am a complete novice when it comes to boats - Bones and Maffi kindly took me out on their boats in November - and were great help. I felt that I needed some time with an instructor to do as you say turning / reversing etc and other things that I wasn't really aware of and was pointed in the right direction. My boat is moored on the Thames, so I was also a little concerned about controlling a boat with a current etc.

I had bought a boat at the end of November, and due to lock closures, and where my boat was and the fact that the River was very high I wasn't able to use her until a few weeks ago.

I think it's a personal thing really, I like doing courses so I enjoyed the RYA course I did, and I was able to do it on my own boat.