Another new build

Featured Posts

The webcam's very interesting technology, Gary.

How do you achieve the 180 degree rotation of the image for your Australian clients? Is it done by IP address, time zone, or something similar?

G'day every,

As the person along with my wife Lesley, for whom Gary and his team are building the boat I can say that its wonderful that he has gone to all this trouble to see where our money is going and bridging the 11,000 mile gap between Sydney Australia and Mirfield UK. Thanks to modern technology the image does flip 180 degrees too, and looks quite "normal" from down here. Our major disappointment is that the team is building working in the UK time zone, not Australian Eastern Standard Time. So our daytime PC viewing is just a black screen. At night its great, but we are missing out on watching gems of British TV like "Midsommer Murders" and "The Bill" which we had been watching to try to acclimatize ourselves to your culture. By the way, where is Midsommer? Seems a very dangerous place!

All the best

Stewart

.. gems of British TV like "Midsommer Murders" and "The Bill" which we had been watching to try to acclimatize ourselves to your culture....

What co-incidence - I was just listening to some "Kevin Bloody Wilson" to try to learn more about Australian culture!

littlemanintheboat-1.jpg

What co-incidence - I was just listening to some "Kevin Bloody Wilson" to try to learn more about Australian culture!

littlemanintheboat-1.jpg

After conducting some research into the aforementioned Mr Wilson his culture might not be to everyones taste! (If you are type who likes Cliff Richard and listens to the Arches please resist the temptation to click the link! :lol::angry: )

kevfm.gif

webcam.jpg

Well thats the hull all but completed just the windows to cut out when the positions are finalised.

It's not exactly mass production but the end result is a very good hull.

We will be craning its sister onto the water on Friday so it will move over for fitting out and an even bigger build will start in its place, this one will be a "v" hull version for lumpy water the customer is a bit nearer this time only living in Guernsey. :lol:

And so the sausage machine continues! :)

I will finish off the pictures for the hull build gallery later this week and do a full time lapse video of the build.

Edited by Gary Peacock

• 3 weeks later...

FO1.jpg

Well the beasty is still coming along the engine and generator are in, it is battoned for spray foaming and it is being prepped for painting.

FO2.jpg

This is the chair lift to go between the wheelhouse and saloon.

The next big interesting bit is going to be the Air-con system and electrics. Victron have delayed the release of the 12v version of the 5KVA Quattro inverter/charger so it might result in a bit of a electrical redesign to use two Victron 3KVA Multiplus units in parallel.

The live cam is still on HERE.

The owners gallery is now updated HERE.

Gary do you build narrowboats anymore?

Just curious as recently it's only the bigger stuff. I'm wondering whether you have stopped doing them or whether you do but have not been asked to do one recently..

Gary do you build narrowboats anymore?

Just curious as recently it's only the bigger stuff. I'm wondering whether you have stopped doing them or whether you do but have not been asked to do one recently..

We would build a narrow one if someone wanted one.

But keep it to yourself the markets gone for narrowboats and the narrowboat builders are twitching big time.

We aren't exactly rushed of our feet with enquiry's but we are still getting orders for broad beam residential boats and nearly all will be going outside the UK. (I wonder why, better ask Gordon on Youtube! :) )

The last 6 months of last year enquiries picked up but with all the uncertainty this year already we have seen very little return on the work done then.

Along with that we have seen a 20% plus increase in price from most equipment suppliers since June last year obviously we can't absorb this so prices are increasing rapidly and that doesn't help attracting orders either.

The boatbuilding game is going to have ride out some serious storms in coming months, whats left when the storms break we will have to see. ;)

NB165.jpg

This is the downside of sprayfoam!

Cutting back will take the best part of a day and this is when the job is well done. Spray foaming boats is quite a skill and the results especially if the company used are not familiar with boats can be horrendous, most builders have learnt that the cheapest quote can often end up costing the most by the time you have got the foam cut back.

Anyway once this nasty job is done the fit out should start at full speed over the next few weeks.

G'day every,

By the way, where is Midsommer? Seems a very dangerous place!

All the best

Stewart

Midsommer is an idealised place full of chocolate box villages, I can't understand why it's populated by such disfunctional wierdos. Ever noticed how it only ever rains for dramatic effect?

Mind you, I suppose CWDF is an idealised place populated by dysfunctional wierdos too, surprising we've not had a murder yet.

Midsommer is an idealised place full of chocolate box villages, I can't understand why it's populated by such disfunctional wierdos. Ever noticed how it only ever rains for dramatic effect?

Mind you, I suppose CWDF is an idealised place populated by dysfunctional wierdos too, surprising we've not had a murder yet.

God forbid, mind you someone could get hurt by all those rattles being thrown about!

Have you also noticed Midsommer never have just the one murder per episode? Most country coppers hardly see one in a lifetime but they get 3 or 4 at a time.

I have done a bit of video of the beast and the state of the build today click
to view it.

I even narrated it for you! :)

If you like it I will keep doing them.

Very interesting :(

to view it.

I even narrated it for you! :(

Hi Gary, very interesting, your commentry is being overpowered by the music :D I am a bit mutton Jeff though :) so it might be only me. Boat looks good, that Blue fender is interesting.

We're here to comment, and i'm not picking, but the sprayfoam looks quite thin in places, centre of battons etc. Build structure looks good though :)

Keep doing them ;)

Edited by Julynian

to view it.

I even narrated it for you! :lol:

Video was no longer available on Youtube when I checked just now.

Seems to be working now I think Youtube was having a bit of a moment! :lol:

Yes it's back now. Very interesting video, but I suggest in future turning up the Gary-phone and turning down (or off) the Gordon Lightfoot. It's quite hard making out your commentary over the music and it's the commentary that's useful.

Thanks for posting this.

And what is the music at the start of your "barge-style narrowboat" slide-show video? I'd like to hear more of this.

Well things are coming on now the rubber D fender arrived so that was cut to length and test fitted to drill the securing holes

NB166.jpg

NB167.jpg

Meanwhile the interior is being lined, this boat is going to be painted so the interior is a rather fetching green MDF colour at the moment. The roof is done in routed MDF boards to give a very convincing planked effect when painted.

NB168.jpg

NB169.jpg

We are just working on the anchor winch at the moment which is proving "interesting" so when we work it all out I will get some pictures.

I will do a bit more video later this week if you missed the last bit I have redone it with a liitle bit less music HERE.