Grand Union South

WJM

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back from Ramsgate today and no plans so far for sunday except try and clear out the shed and find a home for stuff and things

K - know that feeling -

can any one advise if the route from Apsley to Uxbridge is open all Feb and March as need to plan a trip (with boat) to UBC for some attention

cheers john

K - know that feeling -

can any one advise if the route from Apsley to Uxbridge is open all Feb and March as need to plan a trip (with boat) to UBC for some attention

cheers john

Denham Deep Closed until end of Feb, better be open in March as we are off to Stockton over Easter

Went over what I think was the GU just outside Watfrod Underground station the other day and glanced into a lock, presumed to be Cassio Bridge, which appeared to be having work done to it.

Admittedly the train was moving so it was but a fleeting glance, but I'm sure that the chamber was drained and, more specifically, there was what looked like a reasonably heavy item of machinery on the chamber floor.

It may be off topic - apologies for that - but how on earth do they get said pieces of chunky plant in and out of the chamber when there's water on the other side of the stop planks at either end of the lock and no apparnet sign of a crane or anything else to lift what looked like a four wheeled crane in or out of the chamber?

Was just about to say that I couldn't see the barge from the train - thinking you meant that it was floating in the chamber when we passed - when I think what you meant was that it was on a barge that was sitting on the chamber floor because they'd completely drained the lock underneath it. Never thought of that as a means of doing it.

I bet that's a fun job when the come to refill the lock. Do they let a little in from the top or are they unable to control the flow to that extend and have to back pump from below?

Was just about to say that I couldn't see the barge from the train - thinking you meant that it was floating in the chamber when we passed - when I think what you meant was that it was on a barge that was sitting on the chamber floor because they'd completely drained the lock underneath it. Never thought of that as a means of doing it.

I bet that's a fun job when the come to refill the lock. Do they let a little in from the top or are they unable to control the flow to that extend and have to back pump from below?

Watched them doing some of the main stoppage,

The ground paddle culverts come out right at the bottom of the lock so they just need take it gentlywith the top stop plank above.

With so much water coming down from leaky ironbridge lock, i suspect they just turn off the pumps.

Simon.

Edit to add, they didn't clear the debris out of the chamber, and when reopened some very old bottles were floating in it.

Edited by bristol & argo

• 2 weeks later...

Buckby Locks 7 to 13

Friday 7 March 2008 - Thursday 20 March 2008

Update (27 February 2008): Please note the planned stoppage works at Buckby Locks has been extended with the navigation remaining closed until March 20th. The cause of the extension to this planned stoppage is a split anchor block (part of the lock gate securing device). We apologise for any inconvience caused. -----------------------------------------------

Part of the winter stoppage programme

New gates Lock 13 and gate repairs

Towpath has been closed

Enquiries: 01908 302 500

These stoppage extensions are getting a little concerning,

I'm about to buy a 1 month BW licence to move a boat through to the river Nene, what happens if there's another extension and i'm unable to make it through to the Nene before the licence expires?

Just my luck.

Last November we were thwarted in our proving trial to London when Lock 60 when wrong. We had to return to base because we couldn't afford to wait for it to be re-opened and couldn't get the necessary days together later to try the trip before Christmas.

Our original intention, had the November trip gone OK, was to head to Leeds (and back) as soon as the stoppages ended next weekend but with no proving trial under our belt we deemed that a bit foolish. As we only have a relatively short window in which to make that trip we called it off in case we had problems on any trial run that needed time to fix.

So we thought of heading off towards London again on a delayed proving trial from the middle of March and that now looks off because of Denham Deep Lock.

We were also thinking of heading towards Kinver to see Messrs Wilsons and even that plan has now been scuppered by Buckby.

Just my luck.

Last November we were thwarted in our proving trial to London when Lock 60 when wrong. We had to return to base because we couldn't afford to wait for it to be re-opened and couldn't get the necessary days together later to try the trip before Christmas.

Our original intention, had the November trip gone OK, was to head to Leeds (and back) as soon as the stoppages ended next weekend but with no proving trial under our belt we deemed that a bit foolish. As we only have a relatively short window in which to make that trip we called it off in case we had problems on any trial run that needed time to fix.

So we thought of heading off towards London again on a delayed proving trial from the middle of March and that now looks off because of Denham Deep Lock.

We were also thinking of heading towards Kinver to see Messrs Wilsons and even that plan has now been scuppered by Buckby.

Unluck Ray. Methinks you ought to consider changing your boat name! :smiley_offtopic:

Update from BW ref Stoppage at lock87 Denham Deep

Confirmed extention to stoppage of AT LEAST two weeks BUT they have confirmed there will be boat passage through over the Easter weekend. It is likely however that there will be a second stoppage in force after this window of opportunity

Chris

• 3 weeks later...